Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Savage Striker .308 pistol

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Bamabowtie 
#1 ·
Well today I said goodbye to my model 85. I traded it even for a Savage 308 Striker. The Savage is the definition of hand cannon! The first thing I did was pick up a coupe boxes of federal 7.62 NATO (for the brass) and a cheap bipod. I headed to my sister's property and fired three rounds just to test it. The first round was a bit high, I was nervous. After I realised the recoil wasn't that bad, the next two rounds hit the center of a coke can at 50 yards.

Honestly, I'm surprised how mild the recoil is. I'd say it's right between a 357mag and 44mag. However, that is with the brake open! This is equipped with an adjustable muzzle brake. You can open it for controlled recoil (which is what I chose to do) or close it to reduce noise heard by the shooter. That brings me to the next point. This thing is LOUD! I had noise canceling ear buds playing music and a good set of eat muffs over that and I still heard the report loud and clear! It was not uncomfortable by any means but it was noticeable. You won't be making any friends on a crowded range, that's for sure.

Per the unwritten rules of the forum, here is a pic to prove it happened.

As traded for.

With the bipod added.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
If you ever come to Bay county we could take it out and play. The FWC range here goes to 300 yards. Once I'm comfortable with the gun I'm going to see how I do on the long range silhouettes.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I'm not finding a lot of current data on these. I know at one point many years ago, these were selling for $800. I see three currently listed for sale online in the $500-600 range. I think I did alright trading my $240 Taurus 85 for it.

The guy said he fired five rounds and put it back in his safe. One thing I read and found interesting is the bolt face was designed to be replaced and the barrels are easily swapped. I can feasably convert this to several calibers to suit my purpose or mood for the day. I think the first one I am going to try to find is .223 rem. Until then I will continue to upset neighbors in surrounding counties every time I squeeze the trigger on this monster.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I just sent a picture of your pistol to my Son. I told him this is what he needs to compliment his new HOWA Precision rifle that he just bought in .308. I love the .308 round.... in a rifle. I'm gonna bet that is a hand cannon!!

Oh, yea.... I really do like it.
Not nearly as bad as I thought with the muzzle brake open. Similar to a light 44 magnum load.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Congratulations on your new Crew-Served Hand Cannon and may it serve you well! :cool: [emoji2]

;)
That's about what it felt like sitting behind it before pulling the trigger for the first time! I was a bit nervous to say the least. LoL

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Ok, I have ordered a set of dies. Does anybody have recommendations or links to load data for short barrel 308 loads? I need to figure out what powder I want to use. The only powder I currently have is HP-38.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I hope to get it out to a proper range this weekend if the weather cooperates. I bought two boxes of the cheapest ammo Wal-Mart had. I'll see how it does with cheap factory ammo, then once all of that has been shot, I'll start working up some loads for 100 and 300 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.