Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I said goodbye to my model 85. I traded it even for a Savage 308 Striker. The Savage is the definition of hand cannon! The first thing I did was pick up a coupe boxes of federal 7.62 NATO (for the brass) and a cheap bipod. I headed to my sister's property and fired three rounds just to test it. The first round was a bit high, I was nervous. After I realised the recoil wasn't that bad, the next two rounds hit the center of a coke can at 50 yards.

Honestly, I'm surprised how mild the recoil is. I'd say it's right between a 357mag and 44mag. However, that is with the brake open! This is equipped with an adjustable muzzle brake. You can open it for controlled recoil (which is what I chose to do) or close it to reduce noise heard by the shooter. That brings me to the next point. This thing is LOUD! I had noise canceling ear buds playing music and a good set of eat muffs over that and I still heard the report loud and clear! It was not uncomfortable by any means but it was noticeable. You won't be making any friends on a crowded range, that's for sure.

Per the unwritten rules of the forum, here is a pic to prove it happened.

As traded for.

With the bipod added.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
I looked at the pictures and the first thing that came to mind was, "The name is Bond, James Bond."

·
Registered
175 Posts
that is the best coyote gun ...small, long range and steady load .308 light bullet wise and sight in at 100 yrds
you could take a mt bike in to your spot and you might ride up on them
I used a model 110 savage in .243 to do this. with this handgun would be so much ez'er

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not finding a lot of current data on these. I know at one point many years ago, these were selling for $800. I see three currently listed for sale online in the $500-600 range. I think I did alright trading my $240 Taurus 85 for it.

The guy said he fired five rounds and put it back in his safe. One thing I read and found interesting is the bolt face was designed to be replaced and the barrels are easily swapped. I can feasably convert this to several calibers to suit my purpose or mood for the day. I think the first one I am going to try to find is .223 rem. Until then I will continue to upset neighbors in surrounding counties every time I squeeze the trigger on this monster.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Well today I said goodbye to my model 85. I traded it even for a Savage 308 Striker. The Savage is the definition of hand cannon! The first thing I did was pick up a coupe boxes of federal 7.62 NATO (for the brass) and a cheap bipod. I headed to my sister's property and fired three rounds just to test it. The first round was a bit high, I was nervous. After I realised the recoil wasn't that bad, the next two rounds hit the center of a coke can at 50 yards.

Honestly, I'm surprised how mild the recoil is. I'd say it's right between a 357mag and 44mag. However, that is with the brake open! This is equipped with an adjustable muzzle brake. You can open it for controlled recoil (which is what I chose to do) or close it to reduce noise heard by the shooter. That brings me to the next point. This thing is LOUD! I had noise canceling ear buds playing music and a good set of eat muffs over that and I still heard the report loud and clear! It was not uncomfortable by any means but it was noticeable. You won't be making any friends on a crowded range, that's for sure.

Per the unwritten rules of the forum, here is a pic to prove it happened.

As traded for.

With the bipod added.

I just sent a picture of your pistol to my Son. I told him this is what he needs to compliment his new HOWA Precision rifle that he just bought in .308. I love the .308 round.... in a rifle. I'm gonna bet that is a hand cannon!!

Oh, yea.... I really do like it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just sent a picture of your pistol to my Son. I told him this is what he needs to compliment his new HOWA Precision rifle that he just bought in .308. I love the .308 round.... in a rifle. I'm gonna bet that is a hand cannon!!

Oh, yea.... I really do like it.
Not nearly as bad as I thought with the muzzle brake open. Similar to a light 44 magnum load.

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Congratulations on your new Crew-Served Hand Cannon and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

;)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations on your new Crew-Served Hand Cannon and may it serve you well! :cool:

;)
That's about what it felt like sitting behind it before pulling the trigger for the first time! I was a bit nervous to say the least. LoL

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I have ordered a set of dies. Does anybody have recommendations or links to load data for short barrel 308 loads? I need to figure out what powder I want to use. The only powder I currently have is HP-38.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You got a great deal. That is an unusual beauty and nice pix. Did that cannon come with a caisson?
Unfortunately, no. I have to lug it and the ammo around myself! LoL

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Thats a great gun for the price of a model 85 ! I'll bet it's really accurate too. Congrats !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts