Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a long time since I've posted here. A lot has happened with me moving to a new job assignment in California. One thing that has happened is I bought a Savage Arms Model 110BA in .338 Lapua Magnum. Why? Because.

Here's a short cell phone video of it. Sorry, no good pictures. Since I'm now in The People's Republic of California I had to leave all of my guns in Colorado. I didn't feel like putting up with all of California's BS firearm laws, so I played it safe and left them home. I will travel home for vacation in a couple months and get some good photos and hopefully a video of me shooting it.

Hank's Build

That's my blog to document my 1911 build, which has not progressed at all, by the way. That, again, is thanks to my move to CA. I will work on it when I get back home to CO. I need to take it to the gunsmith to get my mainspring housing fit to receiver. It's beyond my abilities.

Next up is a Nightforce NXS scope, 5.5-22x56mm with NP-R1 reticule. At least that's what I'm thinking unless anyone else has a better suggestion...

EDIT:

I forgot to mention my father gave me his Weatherby 7mm Remington Magnum and his WWII USMC M1 Carbine. I don't have pictures of either since he gave them to me when I was driving through his town during my move to CA. I had to, again, drop them off in CO and didn't have time to take photos. However, I will post similar photos. Please bear in mind these are not photos of my firearms but they look very similar to mine.

Weatherby 7mm Magnum

USMC WWII M1 Carbine (And yes, mine is in this good of shape, and actually a little better.) I do have the USMC olive drab soft case and a matching USMC machete. I thought it was a neat WWII combo package. My wife actually loves the M1.

The M1 is in need of a severe cleaning, but I will give it the love she needs and attention she lacked in my dad's hands...

·
Super Moderator
35,237 Posts
No pics? Didn't happen. :D

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
have you had a chance to shoot the .338 lapua yet? should be a blast, that cartridge is supposed to be a long range tack driver. from what i have seen and heard 1000 +yds. that cartridge is very capable. give us an update on a range report. also the savage accutrigger is second to none and their barrels are very good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pics? Didn't happen. :D
Hey now, did you check the link? It's a video, which is just as good!

Like I said, I'm now in CA with my fellow comrades so I won't be able to get to my range back in CO any time soon. You have NO IDEA how it kills me to have it sitting 1200 miles away from me. My wife has been very comforting, though, given that she's letting me buy a scope worth darn near as much as the rifle...

I am very anxious to try out that Savage Accu-Trigger. I loved my Savage .17 HMR, so I am pretty excited about this guy. I wanted a long range rifle. What I REALLY want is something chambered in .416 Barrett, but I don't like the thought of Barrett being the only one making the ammunition.

·
Super Moderator
35,237 Posts
What I REALLY want is something chambered in .416 Barrett, but I don't like the thought of Barrett being the only one making the ammunition.
I have a contender barrel in 7mm TCU and NO ONE makes ammo for it. No one makes brass for it far as I know. Never stopped me from shooting IHMSA competition with it. :D I don't shoot factory ammo, anyway, prefer more accurate options.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, as far as I know, Barrett is the only company to offer bullets or brass for the .416 Barrett, so it's even MORE limited. I just don't like that. Plus, their guns are... not what I'd really call affordable. [sarcasm]That's a dream for the day those lotto tickets pay off![/sarcasm]

·
Super Moderator
35,237 Posts
Brass can be made. I neck size and fire form .223 brass for 7 TCU. Starline also offers blank brass if there's no other caliber brass used to create the round in question. There are other .416s out there, not sure the diameter of their bullet or what it matches, but there's .416 Rigby and .416 Remington for instance, just for the sake of argument, but yeah, I wouldn't spend the bucks if I had it on a Barrett, either. :D

Wow, the BULLETS in .416 ain't cheap, either! Check out 50 Swift A frame bullets. <Cough, gag> A-Frame Bullets 416 Cal (416 Diameter) 400 Grain Semi-Spitzer Box of 50

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SOB that's expensive... I'm having a hard enough time with the .338 Lapua Magnum between $2.50 or so per round (for cheap ammo) to over $8 per round (for high dollar stuff). I promised my wife I wouldn't reload until we settle down in CO. I am DYING to hand load now... We're finally renting a house in CA. Maybe I can convince her to let me start...

My father-in-law and I were chatting tonight. He is a farmer in Western Nebraska with a lot of flat farmland. I am DYING to get back home to go give it a go on his property. The lucky son-of-a-gun just won a brand new Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (standard) tonight as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys.

Just thought I'd update you and let you know I bought a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm scope with NP-R1 illuminated reticle and mounted via a Nightforce Extra-High Unimount. The scope should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to Tucson this April to spend Easter with my in-laws. I will take her to the range then. I bought some 250 grain, 3,100 fps Hornady BTHP ammunition to try running through her.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My baby came in.

This thing is freaking huge.

Here's my attempt at getting a shot at the illuminated reticle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts