Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a local farm and ranch store today to get some powdered antibiotics for my SHTF stash, stuff that is water soluble and supposed to treat 10,000 chickens for whatever ails them. It's lemon flavored and sweet, some kind of Mycin, I think it was Duramycin.

The farm store is GEBO's. I hadn't been to a GEBO'S in over a year. They had expanded and rearranged their gun section and now carry handguns as well as long guns and stock a larger variety of reasonable price ammo (not Walmart priced but reasonable). They carry Taurus, Ruger and Rossi in handguns.

There gun prices are kind of middle of the road about the same as Academy.

Long story short, I still toy with the Idea of a bolt action .308 and asked about the new Ruger American. The guy acted like he was smart about guns until I asked that. Then I saw a bolt action I hadn't seen before, a Savage Axis.

The Savage Axis is an entry level bolt action with a very light weight Composite Stock. No Accu-trigger, but incredibly light and quick pointing, detachable 3 round magazine, drilled and tapped reciever and I liked it pretty well. Price $279. Thank goodness they didn't have a .308 in stock, they could order one, but at least that was my excuse to stay out of trouble with the old lady (nine years younger than me).
The website says it is 6.5 pounds, but it sure feels lighter.

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I have one in .308 and like it a lot. It’s an amazingly accurate and rliable rifle for the price. I don’t hunt anymore but may be in the future because I bought it primarily for a SHTF harvesting tool.

The trigger can be lightened vary easily. Check savageshooters.com. They have a forum designated to the Axis. You can also get tips on doing your own trigger job. I did it and it’s a piece of cake.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I had one in .30-06 (back when it was still called the Edge), but traded it for my Beretta Neos .22. It's a great rifle for the money, and I hope to have another one some day....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Jake...it sounds like a "must have" rifle to me...especially if they can order you one chambered in .308!

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
This past weekend I picked up an Axis in .308 as an early birthday present. It was either the rifle or a new lawn mower.
I spent this weekend weed whacking my entire yard.
Pics will follow later this week.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
This past weekend I picked up an Axis in .308 as an early birthday present. It was either the rifle or a new lawn mower.
I spent this weekend weed whacking my entire yard.
Pics will follow later this week.
Congrats! But thanks for making me sad by resurrecting this thread and making me look at my former Edge/Axis .30-06! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
have 2 of them 25-06 and .308

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Savage Axis is a good gun and I looked at it and the Ruger American before deciding on a Marlin X7 in .308. The Marlin has the barrel nut barrel like the Savage and will take Savage barrels if you are in to swapping barrels. It also has an adjustable trigger which the Axis does not have. The Marlin is in the same price range as the Savage and Ruger. All three are good guns. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just picked mine up about a week ago. Ordered the Axis in 22-250 with the scope package, was a Burris 3-9x40 (it was like 10 bucks more, figured scope rings and mounts was worth the 10 bookoos). Said the factory bore sighted it, NOT. I had to bore sight it, no biggie tho. I did the trigger mods: spring to take the extremely heavy trigger down to about under a 3lb pull, put a washer to take the side movement out of the trigger, polished up some things. Was able to sight in 3 shots. I wish I had taken pics of my targets. Zeroed in at 100 and shooting factory loads can cover up my 5 shot group with a quarter. That group was after 40 rounds. Was using Rem 55gr sp...only crap Wally World had. Next time out will be using handloads. Still breaking in and cleaning every 5 rounds. It is an extremely accurate gun. And for 345 out the door I could not be happier. Farmers are goin to love me this year. Some pics I just snapped off with the good old trusty iPhone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts