Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
I would have a hard time resisting that one!

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
TA member sig_230 mentioned having one earlier today on the "Who has an "oddball brand" handgun that you're impressed with?" thread.
Hit him up for 411

·
22,724 Posts
That Savage was one of the first semiautos to be really successful. Find an online copy of "The Tenderfoot's Turn" by Bat Masterson. He was paid by Savage to write about this pistol.

They were all blued as best I know, so if that's the exact example, know that the finish has 100% worn off. Try to get it for less than $300. It's a well regarded piece of handgun history.

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
^^ I'd even go 225 or even the asking price if it appears to function OK. Of course parts and extra magazines are always a question.

·
Registered
507 Posts
They are great shooters and yes, somewhat unique.

The Savage is a striker fired handgun with an external cocking mechanism. The whole firing block assembly is removable (actually you take it out to field strip). It uses a double stack magazine holding ten 32acps plus one in the chamber. Spare magazines are available from TrippleK. Taking the grip panels off can be difficult and they may break. Again, there are modern replacements available but based on the design there really is no reason to remove the originals.

There were three versions and the one you show seems to be version 1. What looks like the spur of a hammer is the cocking strut.

To field strip you pull the slide back and put the safety on. It will act as a slide lock.

Hold the cocking strut down and turn the locking block ninety degrees.

You can then remove the whole firing block assembly.

Then pull the slide back, move the safety to the "fire" position and slide the upper off the frame.

One thing I've noticed is often the ones I see for sale are marked as "no serial number". That's because the serial number is not where most folk expect it to be.

The Savage is an accurate, easy to shoot, well thought out handgun with NO screws. I bet you'll enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
19,864 Posts
Anyone know anything about these? Find one local and I have a fetish for unusual and different guns. This thing looks like a ray gun from the old Buck Rogers days, or Marvin the Martian.

View attachment 446131
Maybe just me but Marvin’s ray gun has a retractable bolt reminiscent of the Japanese Model 14s and Nambu model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts