Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Swamp People over the weekend and noticed that when an alligator is caught and pulled to boat one of the guys was using a Savage Arms 17HMR to shoot the alligator dead with one shot. One guy even had a plain .22 cal pump rifle. Looks like the preferred weapons are rimfire whether it be rifle or handgun.

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Maybe they know exactly where to hit it with a small high powered round.....personally I'd rather have a 30-30 or something like that. :)

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
Point blank range, shot placement isn't an issue. Nor is stopping power since the gator is already under control, you just have to wait for them to die. .22 LR is the obvious 4 cent solution.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think they mentioned that it was a "quarter size" target on the head, but when that alligator is thrashing around like crazy its got to be tough to shoot a rifle one handed like many do. I guess a center fire rifle could do too much damage at point blank range?

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's all about shot placement. As a kid I saw some 300lbs or so hogs shot in the head with a .22 and go down. On youtube I've seen some "hunters" using a .45 and needing several shots to take the hog down.

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
It's all about shot placement. As a kid I saw some 300lbs or so hogs shot in the head with a .22 and go down. On youtube I've seen some "hunters" using a .45 and needing several shots to take the hog down.
Slaughterhouses use a hammer powered by the equivalent of a .22LR.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
As someone mentioned, It's the perfect 4 cent solution. I'm sure if they could find larger calibers for the same price they would use them. Since a .22 will do the job, that's what they use. The rifles are cheap to replace too, if it breaks or they drop it in the river.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I can see it now........New for 2012.........Taurus .17 HMR 8" Barrel. The Lizard King

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
It's one thing if you were catching the gator simply for meat, you can shoot it with a. 50 cal. if you're so inclined. But with a. 17 or. 22, you create minimal damage to the leather, but maximize your effectiveness with excellent shot placement.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
it is about money, anything over a .22 would ruin the head and those gator hunters get top dollar for every part of the gator that isn't ruined by a high powered rifle even the head.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I knew a 'ol boy once that never went hungry and never bought meat, lived off the states venison or whatever only shooting iorn he owned was a old winchester auto in 22WRF. "Shot placement" .

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
It is all about minimizing damage to the product. In this case the hide of the gator.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
it is about money, anything over a .22 would ruin the head and those gator hunters get top dollar for every part of the gator that isn't ruined by a high powered rifle even the head.
The average price of alligator hide is $25.00 per foot, and meat is at an average of $2.14 per pound.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
.22 also makes less of a mess when they kill it.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
There is one guy on that show that keeps a NAA mini revolver in his upper overalls pocket. One episode showed him using it to finish off his quarry that day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talk about the worst conditions for any rifle or handgun, hot humid weather with barrel practically place in the swampy water with water splashing up on every shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts