Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood Gas
The biggest mystery to me is why this Taurus TCP738 was discontinued. Here's a brief list of .380acp pistols I've owned; Walther, Browning BDA, Sigma. All three were sold why? Because they weren't reliable. I've shot my TCP738 with a variety of ammo it has never malfunctioned. Accuracy if anyone doesn't believe me, I invite to watch for yourself at the Dothan gun club. At 25 yards I can hit a steel torso all day long. Being a retired Deputy that started out with a revolver, I thought I'd give the stainless steel 856 a try, went for a short range session and believe me that all steel 856 did not disappoint.

·
Administrator
41,475 Posts
Welcome from West Texas!

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Super Moderator
35,982 Posts
Welcome from south Texas. When the 738 was extant, I seriously considered it. But, as I have no problem carrying small 9x19s or snubbie revolvers, never got one. Actually, aside from the firepower thing, I'd rather carry one of my revolvers. Currently, it's a little super light 605 Poly.

Now, I have no problem shooting my long/stiff DA guns like my Kel Tec p11 or any of my revolvers, but lots of folks do. I've often thought the 738 might have a stiff trigger that's hard for some to control. But, I do not know this to be the case as I've never fired one. It's just a thought. :D Now, if you wanna try a terrible DA trigger, I have an old Grendel P12. I can shoot it pretty well, but it's not what I prefer to shoot. It takes a lot of concentration. I keep it around as a spare weapon, no sense in selling it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a retired Deputy Sheriff from Florida I now live in Alabama. I just recently picked up the all steel matte stainless 856 what a beautiful shooting revolver. I was using a Glock 26 gen5 for EDC, but an injury to one of my fingers makes manipulating a semi-autos slide difficult. My two inch K-frame S&W is to heavy and harder to conceal than this 856. I'm a civilian now and I don't feel undergunned with a revolver.

·
Premium Member
7,374 Posts
Hey, my first Taurus was a TCP in 380. I did have problems with it, but a little tweaking took care of that. I also have the .32 version which is much more enjoyable to shoot!

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'm glad you have a good TCP 738.
I had one a few years back, and it was my problem child.
I finally sent it back to the manufacturer, and they replaced it with a G2C.
I'm very happy with the G2C, but I also bought a Ruger LCP-II, which is comparable to the TCP738.
The LCP-II is great. No problems at all.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
338 Posts
My TCP (looking around for wood to knock) has run flawlessly from day one. And it remains the only modern bottom feeder I own.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Wcome from South Georgia!
I had a 738TCP a couple of years ago. I carried it as a BUG, which meant I would draw and fire it left handed. I never had any issues with it...except when fired from my left hand, the empties flew right into my forehead. Too bad. I liked the little pistol, but, it found a new home, with full disclosure to the buyer.

·
Super Moderator
40,312 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois. I also own a TCP that I'll pocket carry with dressed up or down. I do favor mu Kimber Micro 9 more however for the larger caliber with just a small compromise for size and weight. Winter with a long coat my 605 SS will do pocket duty.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma!

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Welcome to taurusarmed.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "Taurus® Spoken Here!" Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome from Michigan. I had a TCP380 a few years ago and love that handgun. I eventually sold it and regretted it ever since. I wish Taurus still made it; it is a pretty good little handgun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts