Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling of satisfaction after replacing a broken rear sight and trying a new handload in the Super Blackhawk. Eye-ball install and windage was perfect and a few clicks north and bulls-eye!

Attachments

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,108 Posts
Gives you a feeling of independence from the mainstream madness. :hand2:

Reactions: MoKen

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very well said William!!!

·
8,781 Posts
That is what I am lovin about reloading. You get to tailor your own rounds for your needs, and then get to shoot your own recipe. I still keep factory ammo around for baselines with a new pistol. But then switch to reloads once I find the sweet spot.

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
I enjoy the act of reloading almost as much as shooting. I said almost. Bad weather days are spent reloading, while the nice days are spent shooting. Never run low that way.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I find kind of patriotic to my home state is my 44 recipe is using Missouri made bullets in Missouri made brass rolled in my home. And it works well! lolol

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
You can always tell a wadcutter! Nice shootin' and thanks for the reminder to get back to the bench!

Reactions: MoKen

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can always tell a wadcutter! Nice shootin' and thanks for the reminder to get back to the bench!
Yes sir, Missouri Bullet Company 240 Keith SWC!!!

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
I buy all my bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. Their Hy Tec coated bullets impress me.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I buy all my bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. Their Hy Tec coated bullets impress me.
Yepper! Last session I ran 100 rounds through the 44. 60 of them was MBC coated and full tilt mag loads and I got home with a clean bore. Very impressed!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've been feeling that sense of accomplishment since 1956 when I was first introduced to casting and loading. Great feeling, for sure.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been feeling that sense of accomplishment since 1956 when I was first introduced to casting and loading. Great feeling, for sure.
Had I known when I was a kid what I know now. I worked for a newspaper, one of the last hot type. My job was stereo caster. I cast the ingots for all the machines and the lino type machines. I cast full page ads. I think how many bullets I could have cast!
I admire you guys that cast your own, I guess I'm too lazy to take it up. lolol

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
Had I known when I was a kid what I know now. I worked for a newspaper, one of the last hot type. My job was stereo caster. I cast the ingots for all the machines and the lino type machines. I cast full page ads. I think how many bullets I could have cast!
I admire you guys that cast your own, I guess I'm too lazy to take it up. lolol
My read on casting is that one needs a steady source of free or cheap lead. Buying pigs on the internet doesn't seem to me to be cost effective.

Reactions: olfarhors and MoKen

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My read on casting is that one needs a steady source of free or cheap lead. Buying pigs on the internet doesn't seem to me to be cost effective.
Yeah, if I had a dozen or so of the pigs I cast back then I might think about it! LOLOL

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts
There is something very satisfying about rolling your own, and once you're well supplied, you can make ammo much cheaper than buying factory ammo. It's not even close. That really pays off, especially with hollowpoint ammo which is crazy-expensive if you buy it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very good shooting, what was the distance to the target ?.
Oh that was my initial sight in at only 7 yards. It was easy minute of dead deer at 50. lol Thinking about scoping it.

·
Registered
15,004 Posts
With casting, you complete the reloading cycle. Having ample supplies of everything becomes important. Nothing worse than planning out some massive run on reloading to have it cut short because you've run out of a component. My biggest problem with casting is not having all the molds I want. I'm doing pretty well on powder, primers, cases and have about 120-130 lbs of lead to play with. My mistake is that I have ONE mold; 230 gr .451 fp. Works awesome for my 1911 and pietta SAA. What I "need" is 30 cal molds.
To me, Reloading is the Yin aspect of the shooting sport. It's the calm, patient, relaxation that compliments the Yang aspect of explosive excitement of shooting. There's also that deep feeling of satisfaction with the "I made that" aspect of reloading. We often lie to ourselves claiming it's to reduce the cost of shooting and it'll get to that point after 4000-10,000 rounds as a break even point. The truth is that it just completes the cycle.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Normally this time of year I'm in full reloading mode, but for some reason I can't get into it yet this year - maybe it's a form of burn-out because I'm reloading rounds that I'll never shoot, and my attention span isn't ready for the task. So, to keep my mind busy I've decided to refurbish several (many) old tool boxes that I've picked up at estate sales - with the intention of "one of these days I'll bring them back to new condition", but never did. I's amazing what a little sandpaper and spray paint can do to a rusty piece of junk. Maybe by next month I'll be more in the reloading mood.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hand Loading eh I`ll keep to my challenger and 3 hole press however I get the same kind of satisfaction just a lot more and faster....I did start with a hand load set up for me it was educational Been loading challenger for about 9 years got a 3 hole few years back as a present talk about running some rounds I still prefer staged and challenger press more time than not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts