Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story starts like so many of my gun novella's. I decided to trade my ATI commander 1911 that I had done some upgrades on to help purchase a used CZ75 SP01 tactical. So then I of course had to look for another 45 to replace the ATI commander.

Enter the SAR USA K2 45C. This is a CZ 75 pattern 45 acp with a 13 round capacity. I chose the compact, because I like the commander sized 45's and this is close. It comes in a blue plastic case, 2 14 round(13) magazines - I can load 13 easy, maybe when the very strong mag springs wear in I will be able to fit in 14. A manual, lock, tools, cleaning rod and brush.

As you can see the K2 internally is similar to a CZ 75 style pistol. Machining is excellent, all surfaces/rails/slide are smooth. I removed the firing pin and safety plunger, cleaned everything up, did a light lube. Polished the plunger along with frame trigger bar and a few other parts.

This K2 45 compact has a 4.2" barrel, an OAL of 7.8", OAH of 5.7", OAW of 1.3". The unloaded weight is 38oz's.

It also has a fully adjustable rear sight, and a screw mounted front sight, these are in the typical 3 dot arrangement. This is not a light pistol, with 13+1 of 230grn ball it weighs 49.1oz's (3lb's 1.1oz's). But she balances well with a full magazine, and recoil is less than expected, less than a 1911. The trigger pull in DA is 1/2" long to a crisp 7.2 lb break, the SA has a 3/16" reset to a sweet 2.5 lb break. This is factory, with only the safety plunger and trigger bar arm polished. No grit and minimal stacking.

I ran 6 magazines today of 230 grn factory brass and reloads. I did start out a bit left, but all rounds touching in a vertical string. Made a few adjustments to the rear sight and found the sweet spot. This target was at 20 yards. I had no failures today. Perfect shooter - no trigger slap and the trigger shoe is very comfortable. The plastic grips have good texture and helped lock it in my hands. But I think it needs wood grips and will get those soon. Sights were easy to acquire with my old eyes. There are vertical lines on the front and back straps, and a serrated front trigger guard. Also has a full pic rail with good flat cuts for mounting accessories. Overall this seems to be a great value for an all steel shooter. My cost OTD was $453. If you like all steel pistols or need something to expand your 45 collection this is a winner.

·
Super Moderator
35,518 Posts
That's another excellent review! I've been wanting to get a shot at a Sar B6P when they finally get some stock flowing.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I look forward to your adventures, congrats on the newest addition.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have owned the full sized K2 45 since it was introduced. Another great SAR gun. Mine has been flawless and after a couple of hundred rounds, the trigger is pretty smooth and the mag will now take all 14, I could only get 13 in when I got it. I got a set of the wood grips that have the SAR logo on them and I ended up going back to the plastic ones. I just liked the feel of them better. I wish someone would make a set of rubber grips for it.

·
Premium Member
12,506 Posts
First off congrats on your new gun. I was just eyeing a CZ 97B yesterday, indeed a very similar pistol, but definitely a higher price tag. Great review and thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
First off congrats on your new gun. I was just eyeing a CZ 97B yesterday, indeed a very similar pistol, but definitely a higher price tag. Great review and thanks for sharing it.

yeppers!
I gots a CZ-97 and honestly my regular old 1911 and a couple other 45's don't get out of the safe very much since.
I got that weapon.
my local favo--right Gun shop/range has gotten a few SAR and in stock recently, they seem very well made of good quality.

·
Premium Member
12,506 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,518 Posts
CZ clones can be as nice as CZ's.

Here's a pair of my .45 ACP clones. I actually liked the Tanfoglio .45's better than the CZ97B.

Maloy

View attachment 473642
I didn't like my Witness Compact 45 as the grip length seemed short and my hands are regular size. kmw1954's full size Witness 45 is a gun that I LOVE however.

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Congratulations on your new SAR K2-45C and may it serve you well!!! :cool::)

I've owned and occasionally shot a full size version, the standard SAR K2-45, since February 2013, and it's always performed well.
I had a similar issue with mine needing the Rear Sight adjusted as it had a tendency to print left.

.45 Witness 1992, .45 Witness 2005, SAR K2-45 2013

Still have the Factory Grips plus an Uncle Mikes Grip Sleeve on mine.
Some have reported that the Grips tend to crack, but it's not been an issue with mine.

I do have a mind to pick up a set of these for it Sararms K2 45 Walnut Grips 7506632662768 | eBay

Also note that Galloway Precision now has a SAR Custom Shop with many accessories for the SAR Pistols.
The +2 Magaqzine Extensions for the SAR K2-45 are on my ever growing "Wants" list.

·
Super Moderator
35,518 Posts
^^ I would find it hard to resist those walnut panels!

·
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to order the Galloway spring kit for it, but the trigger is already as light as I want it. But those +2 mag ext look really good.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
While I've not had a problem with the compact, (it was only $300 OTD). My full size does get more love.

Maloy

I didn't like my Witness Compact 45 as the grip length seemed short and my hands are regular size. kmw1954's full size Witness 45 is a gun that I LOVE however.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd really like to get the compact, I have a full size Rock Island 1911, a real sweet shooter! I'd like the compact SAR for cc. I currently carry my PT111 G2 or my TH9 full size. Just thought I'd like a 45 for carry in a shoulder rig for
the winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts