Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just today picked up a new Charter Arms Bulldog in .45 Colt. It's not a revolver from which I would ever want to fire +P ammo. On the other hand I have a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk that is very capable of handling +P or what is known by some as Ruger level .45 Colt loads, which by the way is a misleading term given the Ruger New Vaquero's inability to handle such loads. At any rate tonight I loaded just 10 cartridges to try in the Charter Arms Bulldog using 250gr. FN cast bullets over Unique powder with Winchester large pistol primers. While I certainly label each batch of ammo, I thought it would be a good visual reminder to separate the loads by using nickel plated cases for the Charter Arms loads and keep the brass cases for the Ruger level loads..

·
Registered
15,154 Posts
a red or black line across the face of the case and primer is perfect for quick ID of higher pressure rounds.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have two revolvers that shoot the 45 Colt cartridge. My old model Vaquero will handle the hotter Ruger Loads with ease and my 454 Alaskan makes them feel like a 38 spl. I still keep my loads for hunting and self defense separate from my range and plinking ammo by case headstamp/maker and type bullet. All my hotter loads are loaded in Starline cases with jacketed HP or SP or 335 gn hard cast SWCGC which are readily identifiable. All other cases are loaded with lighter loads.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
953 Posts
.45 Colt, like most revolver cartridges is from the black powder era. Handloads of modern smokeless powders range from powder puff to big game stoppers. Many .45 Colt revolvers out their can't take the punishment of the powerful stuff. This new XL framed Bulldog in .45 Colt looks like a no nonsense brute.

This Gunblast video shows one at about 5:53. Is it like yours? I like it a lot. It's a nice departure from CA's snubbie line.

I wish CA would bring out a modern snub nose load in a short, rimmed, .50 caliber cartridge. Call it the .50 Boomer. Able to toss a 300 gr. hollow point wadcutter 800 fps. out of a 1'' barrel.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Premium Member
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.45 Colt, like most revolver cartridges is from the black powder era. Handloads of modern smokeless powders range from powder puff to big game stoppers. Many .45 Colt revolvers out their can't take the punishment of the powerful stuff. This new XL framed Bulldog in .45 Colt looks like a no nonsense brute.

This Gunblast video shows one at about 5:53. Is it like yours? I like it a lot. It's a nice departure from CA's snubbie line.

I wish CA would bring out a modern snub nose load in a short, rimmed, .50 caliber cartridge. Call it the .50 Boomer. Able to toss a 300 gr. hollow point wadcutter 800 fps. out of a 1'' barrel.
When you think about the same Bulldog frame being used for the .41 magnum, I have to believe the .45 Colt could be loaded hot. However unless I got a confirmation from Charter Arms saying it's safe to use .45 Colt +P loads, I'm going to err on the side of caution. I have some nice 335gr. WLNGC loads at 1175 FPS that I'll reserve for my Ruger.

I noticed one .45 Colt anti-personnel load that Buffalo Bore offers uses a hard cast 225gr. wadcutter at 1050 FPS. I wouldn't mind developing that load for carry in the Charter Arms revolver. At $1.77 a shot, from Buffalo Bore it's too expensive and I think I could do close to the same for a lot less.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I convert 9mm Luger brass to use in 9mm Makrov, and I do the same thing. All the Makarov goes into nickel cases and I never load nickel cases in 9mm or .380. Since my 9mm Makarov loads are head-stamped 9mm Luger it adds a second level of possible confusion.

I've also decided I won't shoot more than one of those three on any given day.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
well the case is also part of the overall safety issue , not just the weapon and its strength.
so whether a weapon is the same as a 41/44 mag hasn't got all the bases covered.
the only cartridge that I mark is the 38 Super, i use nickle cases for it.
not because of power but its simply sooo much easier to spot it amongst the 9MM and 380 cases that are normally brass or aluminum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts