Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to take advantage of some black friday powder deals. Noticing that i am being charged sales tax . I am in Pa. and never paid it before from Co. like Midsouth and Sportsmans outdoor super store. Any thoughts on why?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
It was a new law passed last year, and went into effect Aug 31st. W have an entire accounting dept now dedicated to make sure each state receives it's pound of flesh.

To elaborate, we sell a product to a state that has X sales tax, we have to charge it, and send it to that state. It's an accounting nightmare, as some states charge upwards of 12%.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Companies do not CHARGE sales tax. They COLLECT it for Big Brother.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have paid sales tax on items ordered on line over the years, but is was only if the company I was ordering from had a company branch in my state. Also, if I remember correctly, even if the company did not have a branch in my state, the state required online purchasers to send sales tax to the state based on their purchase. However, that was too hard for the state to track and police, nothing was ever done about it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aparently Pa. has passed the internet sales tax in to law. Just wondering why some online retailers are charging it and others are not. Just placed orders online with 2 retailers and paid no sales tax. Guess may have to make purchases at local gun shows from now on. In most cases gun show prices are now cheaper with sales tax included in price.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I know in North Carolina, if your company has outlets or offices in the state you are expected
to be COLLECTING sales tax for any online purchases and sending that money to the state.

Probably some legal ramifications if you DON'T do it.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know in North Carolina, if your company has outlets or offices in the state you are expected
to be COLLECTING sales tax for any online purchases and sending that money to the state.

Probably some legal ramifications if you DON'T do it.

All the Best,
D. White
That is the way it used to be in Pa. now I guess things have changed.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
I suspect it will be changing more and more as time goes on. Companies will be forced to collect sales tax on all sales at some point. Florida sales tax rules are stupid compared to some states on what is taxable and what is not. Many companies will get it wrong on what is and what is not taxable.

Example in Florida.

A plant service comes to your business to take care of the plants throughout the building. Is this taxable? Well maybe.

If they only trim the plants, rotate them and water them with water from your property it is not taxable. If they add their fertilizer to the water well than now the whole service is taxable. If they bring their own water it makes it taxable. If they add you fertilizer to your water and you can prove you paid tax on the fertilizer than it is not taxable.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some online retailers are charging tax and some are not. Going to purchase from the nots until I am unable. Think the new law stinks.

·
Super Moderator
38,047 Posts
They are tiptoeing toward a National Sales Tax.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
IF I remember correctly the Supreme Court decided last year that a State ( COULD) collect sales tax on items purchased by residents IF they desired to do so.
I am sure one of you inter web guys will check this out and correct my old slick brain in case I am wrong.
seems a lot of Merchants (Brick and mortar) were complaining bout the unequal treatment and the effect it had on their sales vs internet sales.
IN my particular case this MAY increase my cost to reload by 7 %.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Once the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the states collecting online sales taxes they did whatever was necessary to start collecting all that money they were missing out on.....The free tax ride is now officially over !

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I personally think most taxes should go away. However, being in the retail motorcycle accessory business the tax thing kills us. I wouldn't pay sales tax on a $2000 exhaust system and I've lost sales because of it. I have people come in wanting helmets warranted that I didn't sale. I can't take care of it if it wasn't invoiced through our store. I ask "Where did you buy it?", the say "on line". What did you pay for it?" ............ I say "that's my price as well" and they say "I didn't pay sales tax". My point is everybody should do it or nobody should do it. It's killing brick and mortar in the motorcycle business in an already suffering industry. The second largest motorcycle parts and accessory supplier has filed $834,000,000 bankruptcy.
I don't know what the answers are but something has to give. Like I said either all pay it or nobody.

Reactions: william

·
Super Moderator
38,047 Posts
I personally think most taxes should go away. However, being in the retail motorcycle accessory business the tax thing kills us. I wouldn't pay sales tax on a $2000 exhaust system and I've lost sales because of it. I have people come in wanting helmets warranted that I didn't sale. I can't take care of it if it wasn't invoiced through our store. I ask "Where did you buy it?", the say "on line". What did you pay for it?" ............ I say "that's my price as well" and they say "I didn't pay sales tax". My point is everybody should do it or nobody should do it. It's killing brick and mortar in the motorcycle business in an already suffering industry. The second largest motorcycle parts and accessory supplier has filed $834,000,000 bankruptcy.
I don't know what the answers are but something has to give. Like I said either all pay it or nobody.
Maybe when people have to pay the return freight to the on-line supplier a few time then they will begin to see that the 8% +/- is worth it. The brick and mortar folks need to have the on-line exposure enough so that shoppers can see and realize that the prices are comparable. There is a new trend in this arena that really grinds my gears and I will start a new thread.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
In time I believe sales tax will be coming to all internet sales one way or another. The biggest disadvantage I see these days are when a business has a location within the state and therefore now have to collect state sales tax from residents along with also adding on shipping charges. So by the time I find an item online for what I thought was a good price I now have to also look at both the sales tax and shipping. Which now brings up my dilemma of buying primers and powders. I don't mind paying shipping fees or a state sales tax but I hate having to pay both. I would much rather take a 4 hour trip once a year and pay sales tax than order online and get hit with sales tax, shipping fees and also Hazmat fees.

Maybe once sales tax becomes widespread and everywhere on online orders it will even the playing field and brick and mortar will be able to compete.

The other day I was looking at buying a few reloading tools so I priced them out between 5 online stores and the Cabela's store that is an hour away. When all was said and done and I compared the prices with shipping or sales tax all came out to within $1.50 of each other. I ended up getting them all at the Cabela's store because my brother lives just 20 minutes away and he was coming to my house the next day anyways. So I didn't have to wait 4-8 days for my order to show up at the door.

·
Super Moderator
38,047 Posts
How was the powder/primer picture there?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
How was the powder/primer picture there?
Brother was the one there last week, I asked him to check but he forgot. If you get there before next Wed. let me know. We are supposed to be in Hoffman Estates for a Dr. apt Wed. so I may stop.

Reactions: Czechbikr
1 - 20 of 27 Posts