Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a new (to me) saiga 12 today. unconverted. i understand what it will take to convert it. but ido have a question. are the FCG parts the same as an AK47? i mean can i use a standard G2 trigger from an AK47?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am goin to be picking up a saiga 223 in a few days from my ffl. I'm looking to convert to pistol grip. From what I understand the bolt hold open will not clear a normal ak trigger. If you don't use the bho I think you can use any trigger . I'm goin to get the modifed trigger group and trigger gaurd from carolina shooting supply. Ill find a pistol grip and buttstock elsewhere .

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's $300 to do that conversion at most of the Fort Worth-Cleburne-Burleson Gunsmith places here. The one area one has to be extremely careful with is I believe is tapping and dremeling out some part. Forgive me that I don't remeber what it was, but if you screw that one up you're gonna wind up with a boat anchor. That's what I was looking at doing to my Saiga too. But I'm gonna wait now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can't wait till my ffl calls ups says it should be here tommrow. I'm goin to order my parts asap from carolina and probably amazon the rest who knows

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive ordered a new trigger guard with the pistol gripnut attached. when it gets here im going to try the conversion with that and spare AK47 parts. ill let you know how well it works out.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ive ordered a new trigger guard with the pistol gripnut attached. when it gets here im going to try the conversion with that and spare AK47 parts. ill let you know how well it works out.
easy peasy job

here is my conversion from stock hunting rifle......while you have it apart do the bolt mod & polish, it aids in cycling low brass and loading full mags while bolt is still closed...dont be intimidated, it and the conversion to ak 47 trigger group was a fun job....dont use the shepherds crook get the retaining plate, thats the only frustrating part for some working with ak's

I bought a 10rnd banana clip, 12 round ProMag drum (regarded to be a good feeding drum) & 20rnd MD Drum(regarded as the best feeding drums)
I dont like the 10-12 rnd banana clips they are cumbersome feeling & I think look wonky, especially the 12's ...so Im going to buy the SMG 8rnd clips & they look more proportionate to the gun aswell, although I maybe be biased towards appearance from owning ak-47's
the MD drum feeds great & seems unbreakable,but it is big, cumbersome and heavy when loaded, when I read the reliability reviews on ProMags 12 round drum I decided to get one due to its compact size....ProMags 12 round drum is now my favorite mag for this gun

if you really want to have fun with your Saiga 12 shoot the 1oz slugs, I am amazed at the accuracy, I buy the Federal general purpose loads cheapo ammo (you buy what cycles low brass in your gun) I cut the ends off, melt the lead into a $25 1oz mold and I use a $20 roll crimper in a drill press or hand held drill and have all the cheapo slugs I want to shoot..I also have a stock pile of wheel weights lead, powder & primers to reload the hulls...I find the shotgun pellets boring with this gun, I also think I will get a mold for #00 BUCK Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Air gun Antique tool Hammer Metalworking hand tool

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where did you get the roll crimper? it seems like a better idea than my version of cheapo slugs. i did the conversion no sweat and im tring to get it to shoot anything i put in it. have to go test fire again and see if i got it yet. gas ports were too small.
how do you like the promag drum? ive heard bad things. bought another MD 20 instead. i got two SMG 12 rd mags with the gun and they seem to be quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
congrats on doing the conversion yourself

the Promag 12rnd drum is the best, its not so big & awkward as my MD20 and feeds great
people on the web love to pissandmoan and most are merely Web Parrots & didnt even try the mags or own one... with a ProMag lifetime guarantee on all their products its only the lazy that would complain yeah? to lazy to return.... IF ITS DEFECTIVE EXCHANGE/RETURN IT.......lifetime guarantee what else need need be said?? ....Its like the bad rep century arms gets on their ak-47's.....every guy that starts badmouthing centuries ak47, sure the first batch had some with canted sights and the fit and finish is an issue but thats been addressed by Century Arms or they would not sell any more.... I reply with, I will give you or anyone else $300EACH for that piece of garbage century ak47...98% reply with Id never own one of those junkers.....Web Parrots...$$$$ offer still stands

roll crimper is fantastic and even allows me to keep using shorter & shorter shells as they get worn & used, the Saiga12 is feeding the really short rounds just fine..wooohooo......Im really enjoying this ak12ga with my cheapo hand loads and lowbrass 1oz slugs its become my plinking fun gun

using a drill press does do a better job but I have used a cordless drill successfully
Original Roll Crimping Tool: 12ga-Ballistic Products
Product
edit: also consider a hull vise, Im certainly getting one I used pliers and after 60rnds I had cramps in my hands
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hull-Vise-includes-10-20ga-blocks/productinfo/VISE/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks good. Can't agree with you more about people bad mouthing something they havent used. I may end up trying a promag drum some day. Ive had some issues with promag stick mags over the years. Been a while since Ive bought their stuff, and nothing for the saiga 12 yet. I still like the md20's. They have the added bonus of being made in OH and I like to keep buisness in state if possible. But first I think I need to buy a roll crimper...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts