Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A PT 1911 45 that I have just sent back to the Factory for the third time for the same problem. If not after each shot then after the second shot the safety will up very slightly but just enough that the gun will not fire. You have to push the safety back down & then it will fire, then push the safety back down & the gun will fire & so on. This gun was bought in March of 2008 & sent in in Oct. of 2008 for this problem. I bought it in March of this year & have sent it in for the second time since I bought it. Has any one else had or is having this problem with the PT 1911 45?? I am :mad: about this. I own 5 other Taurus hand guns & they are flawless in there performance. Does any one have any idea what else I can do to get this problem fixed?? Thanks John

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum barnjoer,

That is a pretty common problem with the 1911 design. It is usually caused by the shooter thumb hitting the safety during recoil but I have seen a person with thick hands have the same problem with a ambi safety as they were hitting it with the meaty part of their trigger finger/hand.

The common cure is to shoot with what has become the std 1911 grip. Usually called a thumbs forward or high thumb grip. You will place your strong hand thumb on the safety, keeping it pressed down so it can't be engaged.

Here are a couple pics to help illustrate.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If your grip isn't the culprit, perhaps you have a weak or safety plunger spring. Does your 1911 have an ambi safety or just a left hand safety? In any case, not that the safety has a cam shaped body and pivots up and down. The safety has a detent that keeps it up or down and that detent is the little plunger on the rearward end of the spring inside the plunger tube just to the front of the safety. If moisture gets in the tube, the spring could be rusty and they are also known to just break. At the forward end of the spring is another plunger that provides detent for the takedown lever/latch pin. Anyway spray some penetrating oil in the plunger tube and see if the safety behaves itself. To remove the plunger, you have to remove the thumb safety and the spring with plungers will come right out. If you get this far, I can probably help you remove your thumb safety.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I think Stallard has shed some good light on this subject.:thumb:

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I agree with Stallard, it is a not uncommon issue with any 1911. Add to that the bigger than normal safety on the PT 1911.... If it keeps happening you can change to a more standard 1911 safety lever, that might give you less surface area to hit with your hand. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
well of course in my mind the first question is" has anyone else fired your weapon?
did they expereince the same problems?
IF the 1911 thumb safety is installed correctly the idea that the thumb safety is somehow jumping to the engage spot upon firing is pretty darned slim!
I think the guys before me hit the old nail on the head.
a simple way to figure out if this is the problem before sending the gun in for repair is to cut off your thumbs and then fire the gun!--OK, just kiding!
I generally replace the big old bat winged ambi safties on the Pt1911 because of accidentally knocking them on/off while carrying the gun, no problems while shooting them though.
Now of course if you are left ahnded then you likely will want to keep some type of ambi safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been shooting A 1911 45 for some 40 years, I have 2 Springfield 1911 45 & yes others have shot this PT 1911 & yes they have the same problem. And yes A gun smith has replaced the ambidextrous safety with A single side on the left & yes it still does the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now any other ideas??? I have 5 other Taurus semi auto hand guns & they have been flawless in performance. I think Taurus needs to replace the frame or the whole gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have been shooting A 1911 45 for some 40 years, I have 2 Springfield 1911 45 & yes others have shot this PT 1911 & yes they have the same problem. And yes A gun smith has replaced the ambidextrous safety with A single side on the left & yes it still does the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now any other ideas??? I have 5 other Taurus semi auto hand guns & they have been flawless in performance. I think Taurus needs to replace the frame or the whole gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the additional info,

I have owned, shot and worked on quite a few 1911s and have never seen this problem that was not fixed with a new safety/spring and plunger or a thumbs high grip. Not sure what a frame would fix, unless the hole for the the safety is wallowed out, in which case I would expect Taurus to find that problem, of course I would guess that Taurus will not work on what another gunsmith has done.

Maybe returning it to the gunsmith who installed the single sided safety would get it fixed. I have seen someone install the plunger backwards, slide lock plunger against the safety, ect.

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
well I would think that IF a gunsmith looked at the weapon as when he installed the single side safety then he should be able to identify the problem , assuming there is a problem and correct it.
this isn;'t exactly rocket scientist work, the design has been around for over 100 years an basically the workings are the same for the thumb safety.
anyway hope you get it worked out.
I got nothing else to help you out as to suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input!! I have had the 2 Springfield's for some 15 or so years & never A problem with the way I hold it. When others shoot the Taurus & they have the same problem I am having then I know something is wrong. All I had the gun smith do was put in the single sided safety on the left side & then I shot it. Like I said this is the third time back & all I get from Taurus is replace broken part. Never any explanation of what part or maybe why the part might have broken. Personally I don't think they are doing any thing to it but holding it & then sending it back.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
With that additional info I would lean towards wanting a replacement as well.. There could be some small part that is slightly out of tolerance. I'm no smith so I have no idea what that could be. Or you could also have a good 1911 smith look at it. I don't know where you are in Texas, but around me there are a couple, I would assume there would be one near you. It wouldn't be fee like Taurus customer service though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got the PT 1911 back yesterday. I will try to go shoot it on Sunday & let you know the results. I am no gun smith but here are what Taurus said they did on the 3 times I have sent this same 45 back to them ( 11-08 Problem found hammer drop safety - replaced / 04-11 Problem found part broken ?? what part?? replaced / 01-12 problem found part broken or cracked safety problem replaced, part damaged-sear replaced ) I don't know?? Maybe some of you guys can figure out what could be causing these problems & causing the same results with the safety reengaging after every shot??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts