Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Unless it has a DA trigger, like a DA revolver or my TCP, I insist on a thumb safety. I will not carry a Glock style pistol like the Glocks, the XD family (some have thumb safeties now, don't they?), and the like. I'm not a fan of DA/SA semiautos either. Taking your first shot with a DA revolver and then switching to a 1911 has never seemed like a great idea to me.

Condition one or DA.

But when do you need to do that? With a DA/SA semiauto, you have to do it every time you set it up for carry. I guess if you've decided to take a SA shot, and change your mind, but how often does that happen? I agree with Ickthus; pulling a trigger and de-thumbing the hammer is about the sketchiest procedure in all of gun handling. And yes, if you pull the trigger to get past the sear and then release it during the rest of the lowering process, the safeties in many handguns should save you - revolvers included. But that's just adding more complexity and jerky movements to an already touchy process.

One of the best answers I've ever seen to all of these types of questions is this:

View attachment 467249

DA when you want it, SA when you want it, and virtually no chance of snagging. Safe and precise when you need it.
Well, guns are dangerous. Working heavy equipment , running a chain saw, driving a stick shift in stop and go traffic on a grade.
Like i posted "'know your equipment , know yourself, work within the limits of both.". I have worked with equipment and around inherently dangerous environments where OHSA and safety just don't apply by the nature and scope of work. Do whats best for you as....
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Verdana"><strong><em><u><sub><sup>
[SUB][/SUB]

·
Registered
36,025 Posts
I was just wondering how most carry their guns that have a safety. Safety on or safety off. I do both depending on where I am going.
IT totally depends on what type weapon it is-- a single action --as in a 1911 that should be carried cocked and locked then yes-- other wise its just cocked.
any other carry weapon that i have is of more modern design and SA/DA or Da and they never have the safety engaged, actually I carry/use a lot of CZ and they are carried on the half cock whether safety or de-cocker equipted.
its really a matter of the persons comfort, training, and likes in my opinion.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
Cocked and locked with the safety on ....... unless there is no safety ...... then it's just cocked and locked.

YMMV

Reactions: fatcat3

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Safety off as I'm confident enough now to keep my bugger puller out of it! :D

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
407 Posts
As I'm relatively new to handguns and concealed carry (within the past few years), I typically use the safety - if available - and do not carry with one in the chamber. The situations that find me carrying are varied and generally, I consider myself to have a backup weapon for my significant other. [My SO has vastly more experience carrying and shooting than me - though I practice whenever I get the opportunity.] Admittedly, I need to practice a lot more of drawing from an IWB holster.

When I purchased my first handgun with the anticipation that I would conceal carry, I specifically chose the G2 which had a thumb safety and a trigger safety mechanism. That was my carry weapon of choice until I received my Spectrum...which does not have a designated safety mechanism. The Spectrum is now my carry choice for whenever I am allowed to carry. [Alas, hospitals in my area usually frown on staff being armed in this fashion.]

My two cents, as always.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
I really like revolvers. Revolvers are safe by design. I figure the chances of shooting yourself with an auto are a lot higher than meeting a BG on the street and should I meet a BG, I can draw and point shoot naturally with a revolver. Autos tend to shoot low for me.

That said, I carry my DA autos a lot. :D

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The first gun I carried was a Combat Commander back in the Jeff Cooper days. I trained to sweep off the safety.

I like that the same muscle memory carries over neatly to my G2 pistols.

As someone else has already noted, a gun that fires with as little as five or six pounds ought to have a safety.

But it needs to be a good safety: Positive; in the right position (on the frame, not the slide); having the right sweeping direction, angle and pressure...like a 1911 or a Taurus G-series.

Not like a Shield.

I would never be inconsistent about using it. That screws up training. Always on, even at the range, as soon as I pull my eyes off the sights. Always off as I raise the gun to the target.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Safety on. I stick with pistols that have frame-mounted hammer-drop safeties (PT92) and practice with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Generally: one in the chamber, cocked, safety on

Like several here, with any gun that has external safety, I carry with one in the chamber, cocked, safety on. Several 1911s, Taurus 809, Taurus 24/7 G2, Taurus 709.

One exception: Beratta 950 BS Jetfire: It has a tiny little external safety, being a pocket gun in .25, and I just cannot convince myself after some practice, that I'm going to find it and manipulate it expeditiously under stress. So, that one, being SA only, I carry with one in the chamber, hammer forward. As I present it, I pull the hammer back to cocked. There's a risk in that, too, of course, but all my practice suggests that it is easy to do properly, so I'm relying on myself to respond as I've trained.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My regular EDC is my Sig P938. I carry it concealed, IWB crossdraw, cocked and locked. Another thing I like about the P938 is if you want to feel safer carrying it, you can leave the hammer cocked and chamber empty with the safety on, you can than rack a round into the chamber with the safety on.
If I'm dressed too lightly, I carry my S&W Bodyguard from the same position but with the safety off. The reason being that you need 2 hands to move the safety off or on, so it takes a lot of time away from your draw plus the Semi-auto Bodyguard is DAO so I feel OK with the safe OFF. It is also about 6 ounces lighter than the P938 and a lot easier to conceal.
In cold weather I might sometimes carry my Taurus 809C that is DA/SA in a shoulder holster. This is the only handgun I carry with the hammer Decocked and that's because it has a Decocker on it, so I practice drawing, shooting and decocking it before returning it to the shoulder holster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I mostly agree with JTG. My List looks like this.

Revolvers with rare exception have no safeties. That said, almost all revolvers are hammer fired and you can place your thumb on the hammer while holstering.

Single action automatics require carrying safety on. I carried a 1911 for years. It becomes second nature to sweep the safety off while aiming. I was especially impressed with the grip safety on the Ortgies. The Ortgies grip safety locked the sear AND relieved the striker spring.

DA/SA Automatics can be carried with the safety on or off. I'm used to manipulating safeties while aiming. The big danger I see with double action weapons is holstering. How many incidents have you read of where a shirt tail or something became entangled in the trigger while the person was attempting to holster the weapon. Once the gun is in a properly designed holster it is safe. Getting it there is the issue. For this reason I prefer hammer fired guns where I can place a thumb on the hammer while holstering. By the way someone makes an aftermarket gadget for Glocks that will lock the striker when the button is held down. In any case, I love my Taurus PT-22 for concealed carry and carry it with the safety on.

·
Registered
511 Posts
On my handguns, I leave the safety off. On my AR pistol and .22 rifle, I keep the safety on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My reason for DA/SA hammer fired pistols. RIC, no safety- just point and pull the trigger. IMHO- if you carry a gun with a safety- either train with it on or of..but not both.. either or.. you don't need to wonder. is the safety on or off.. so ALWAYS train to move the safety to OFF as you draw.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My carry weapon is a revolver so 'safety on/off is a moot point. But if I carried my 9mm, it would always be with the safety ON. I don't know what the statistics are on negligent discharges, but I suspect that they are MUCH higher with the safety OFF.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
My reason for DA/SA hammer fired pistols. RIC, no safety- just point and pull the trigger. IMHO- if you carry a gun with a safety- either train with it on or of..but not both.. either or.. you don't need to wonder. is the safety on or off.. so ALWAYS train to move the safety to OFF as you draw.
If you have to wonder, then you need more time on the gun.

I don't buy into the, 'I'll forget the safety', argument. You saw what gun you strapped on and you better already know what it takes to make it work.

I also don't buy the, 'I'll get confused by jumping between guns', argument either. If that happens, then one might need to be handling your guns more often. I can tell my supposedly identical SAA clones apart by how they feel in my hand, so don't tell me going from a double stack 1911 like my Para to a Witness is going to confuse me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you have to wonder, then you need more time on the gun.

I don't buy into the, 'I'll forget the safety', argument. You saw what gun you strapped on and you better already know what it takes to make it work.

I also don't buy the, 'I'll get confused by jumping between guns', argument either. If that happens, then one might need to be handling your guns more often. I can tell my supposedly identical SAA clones apart by how they feel in my hand, so don't tell me going from a double stack 1911 like my Para to a Witness is going to confuse me.
I guess each person has to know their own limitations. I agree with you... I can't imagine forgetting how to operate the gun I'm carrying because I'm confused about which one is in my hand. I can also switch from my stick shift car to my automatic truck to my motorcycle, and have not problems remembering how to get them all in gear. (But I have seen people come to a stop on a motorcycle and forget to put their feet down.) But if someone really does feel he is that absentminded, then he probably should just stick to the one gun he'll remember how to operate if the time ever comes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just wondering how most carry their guns that have a safety. Safety on or safety off. I do both depending on where I am going.
The way things are now, just watch the news, your gun has to be ready to use. I definitely have one in the chamber. I have only had my CHL about two years. When I first got it, I just didn't feel good unless the safely was on. Things have changed now and most of the time the safety is off and one in the chamber. There is a trigger-safety so the gun is not going to go off by itself. There is no use in carrying a gun unless you have one in the chamber. If there is a bad guy around, you are not going to have time to rack your gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm old school and schooled well. Years of training, uses and muscle memory.
Safety on always. When gripping the gun, finger on safety, as you clear the holster, Safety is disengaged by the time you clear holster. While bringing the gun up on target you cock the hammer. This is muscle memory as your brain is verifying the need to engage, back stop and clear shooting lane. You have time to do all of this in one fluid motion as you get a sight picture. Anyone thinking different has not trained to use a weapon correctly or has never been hunting or been hunted. it is simple to perfect.
Now i say the same thing about driving a car with a stick shift. Do I need to tell you about walking to school? LOL
The above is a good explanation, except I am a Lefty so the Safety is on the wrong side for me. Could some Lefty's go over your method of Draw.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts