Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed tonight, after doing some work on the gun that the manual safety will disengage and drop the hammer simultaneously if you pull and finagle the trigger enough.

I did take apart and reassemble the gun a few times during my valve grinding compound workout. I didn't notice this before, but I must also say I didn't try this before as well.

It does take some force and actually trying to get the hammer to fall with the safety on. As far as I can tell, it looks lke something in there gets lined up and touches the safety just right to kick it down, which allows the hammer to drop at the same time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I remember someone saying the grip safety would fail if you pull hard enough, but I don't believe mine has this problem.

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got couple of pics to add.

Looking at the on picture, you can see where the sear hits the safety block. It's almost enough to release the hammer as it is now. I think the sear is just simply pushing the safety down, the only thing holding it back is the retention clicker for the safety on the side of the frame. I'm thinking that if the block was beveled a little so that the sear would push it UP, instead of down, it may solve the problem, but there doesn't seem to be enough meat on it to put a new bevel in there.

I really don't want to send this gun off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have a 1911 but what you say seems plausible. If you pull hard enough on the trigger with safety on, either the disconnector gets bent or the force gets transferred to the sear which in turn pushes the manual safety down. I think what is stopping it is only the friction of the safety plunger against the manual safety.

By the way, is there a crack in your hammer strut?

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No .. it's casting marks.

So .. are you saying it could be 'normal' behavior?

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update to the thread, I fixed this by putting a new safety in. I filled it for fit tonite. There is no movement in the sar at all when the safety's engaged. The hammer won't drop either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts