Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to 1911's. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't shot it. The only real problem I seem to have with my safety is that tongue won't fit into the groove all the way and the two sides push against each other. I can operate the left safety without much trouble but you can feel when they separate inside and it doesn't feel quite right. When I work the right safety it's a real problem and pushes the left side out. I could probably just file the groove a bit or tap them together but I've got a bad feeling about the ambi safety altogether. I've thought about just taking the right side off but it probably needs a rod going all the way across. I'm thinking about rigging up a regular left hand safety by cutting the safety off the right side and maybe using a little JB weld or something to keep the two pieces together. I probably should just buy a regular safety for it but I'm scared I'll screw it up trying fit it. I don't have much experience with these things.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :???:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think I'll try replacing it myself with a Wilson. I noticed my thumb pad rubs against the plunger tube and wears off the finish so there's no use in sticking with this piece of crap. I look forward to shooting it. I should have a fine pistol when I get this out of the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paulrabe78, I just used your link to buy it and Hawk, if I feel I can't do it right I'll get a gun smith. I'll go to the small shop I got my PT 92 from. I might go ahead and fool with the Taurus safety a little bit but at least I'll be getting one I know I can count on. At least the PT 92 safety seems real good. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts