Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
32,661 Posts
Misfit 4645. Just posted that answer at your other thread where you talk about your revolver. So won't go into the whole shmear here as it is already at the other thread. Take a gander at it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I shot quite a few .38 spec wadcutters in my Model 19 with no problems, and excellent accuracy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to shoot a passel of them out of my S&W 19, 586, Colt Python and so on down thru the years. They answer is simply yes, you can shoot as many as you want, just be sure to clean your cylinder real well after your range sessions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup! No problems at all. I have shot .38spl, .38spl +P, .357Mag all out of my 617 without a single hiccup. The SWC are the more accurate for plinking.

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
Do it all the time these past 30 years. .357 is one of my favorite caliber revolvers because of the versatility and its accuracy with light to heavy loads.

If you shoot a lot of .38 out of the gun without cleaning, a build up can occur that will need cleaning or it will hamper the longer .357 case as you load it, the only malady I know off from the practice of shooting .38 in the .357. But, I clean and scrub the chambers after every range trip and have never had this occur.

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
BTW, I shoot SWC and wadcutter, cast my own, and my wadcutter loads tend to be more accurate. YMMV, though. My 4" Taurus M66 is amazing with wadcutters, consistent little ragged 1" holes at 25 yards with the wadcutter load off sand bags. I love it when a gun is that accurate. ;D

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
For protection, I used to load hollow base wad cutters backwards over a light charge... never had to use them, but up close they were supposed to open up real quick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cimarron said:
For protection, I used to load hollow base wad cutters backwards over a light charge... never had to use them, but up close they were supposed to open up real quick.
Why not just use a hollow point semi wad cutter? Hornady makes a pre-lubed 158 grain .358, Midway sells 'em for $14.99 for 300 last time I bought some. Just wonderin'...Wolfsong.

·
32,661 Posts
The reason that there are no commercial rounds for the reverse wadcutter's is because accuracy dropped way off past room ranges and expansionwas iffy for the companies. As Cimarron has put it, he is a reloader and they experiment until they find the right combination of factors to make this work. This also leads up the barrel and the WC have to be of soft lead for this to work.

Smith& Wesson and Federal took the idea somewhat to a new level by taking a soft lead bullet and putting a micron thin nylon coating over the bullet. That is how they came up with NYclad line of ammo. It was to cut down on lead emissions and never thought of as a self defense round until people tried Nyclad rounds out and found out they expanded dramatically when they hit flesh in actual defense shootings. Then the price went up drastically and the Nyclad line was expanded. The standard 125 grain .38 Special load was the load of choice for even 2 inch barreled revolvers.One got expansion even from the short barreled revolvers.

The +P 158 grain LSWCHP NYclad has been a different story with iffy expansion if even at all.Thicker bullrt jacket retarded the expansion. Back on track.

The ammo companies could not come up with a accurate at extended ranges past a few feet reverse wadcutter load that would not make a heavily leaded barrel or choke a bore with lead. Clean that mess up after a practice session.

Then there is the liability problem and that is where I personally differ from a lot of other shooters.

One has to be able to replicate the ammo for court in a defense shooting, This can be up to several hundred rounds to over 500 rounds for lab testing. Mas Ayoob has documented this thoroughly in his writings in books and magazines. One has to do that with the ammo on hand and not made up later.

The lot number of the ammo is important so more can be found and used. Ammo differs from batch to batch of ammo, even though the same recipe is used to make the ammo. That is why when one finds an accurate ammo, one should check the ammo lot number and buy as much of that type of lot as possible. A new batch of ammo under the same name may perform quite differently in latter manufactured batch. Point of impact can change drastically over different lots manufactured alike ammo.The continous string of evidence can be shown in court by using ammo of the same lot and the gun used in the shooting as to what the real ballistic behavior for that combination is. It can be duplicated.

At close range a reverse wadcutter can be devestating under certain circumstances. If a fine accurate shot is called for in the close proximity of other or one has a hostage situation and has to hit the perp holding the hostage at gunpoint one need all the fine accuracy one's handgun can give them. Are you willing to take the shot to take out the bad guy next to or behind your loved ones in a case like that with that kind of load?

Since the wadcutter was not made for that kind of fine accuracy the ballisitics ability fall off rather fast at certain ranges. The center of gravity has been changed from what the bullet was designed for and being used in a way it wasn't designed for either. So, for some applications and scenarios the reverse base wadscutter can be used for defense. One has to experiment with their own particular gun and recommended by manual loads to find the proper balance.

There are a lot of things to consider here. Some of this may be subjective, but I try to strive for verifiable facts. No, I do not reload or have the experience and wisdom of such people.So there are exceptions to this all, but this all needs to be considered.

Reverse wadcutters experimentation has been accomplished in magazine articles down through the decades and has obviously worked for others. Decide carefully what will work for you. It might be time for American Hangunner and other periodicals to write more articles for us non-reloaders to see for ourselves. Use what works for you and be happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts