Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The lower receiver had no safety indications so I went with a minimal approach.

Friend and member darbo cut me off some of his Markal Lacquer Stiks - red and white.

I used a small conical Dremel bit to start 2 holes and gently finished them off by hand twisting a counter sync bit by hand.

I used a screw driver tip to smooth some of the colored Stiks into the holes - it dries hard like oil paint in a day or so and cleans up with mineral spirits.

Not it a big job but a needed detail for the gun IMHO!

image.jpg

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I'm glad they worked out for you.
Yeah - they worked great AND if you don't understand the colored dots - - "put-the-gun-down, slowly and step away!!" :eek:

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Nice idea. I think I would use green for Safe.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice idea. I think I would use green for Safe.
Funny how color symbolism shifts. Green can mean GO too! On a firearm I take white as stop/no fire/surrender etc.

In traffic red is stop - on a gun (or a flag) it is blood, shoot, kill!!!

I bet there is a gummint grant for me to do a study on the topic!! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Looks good.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
Funny how color symbolism shifts. Green can mean GO too! On a firearm I take white as stop/no fire/surrender etc.

In traffic red is stop - on a gun (or a flag) it is blood, shoot, kill!!!

I bet there is a gummint grant for me to do a study on the topic!! :cool:
I taught my young'un the easiest way to remember it is red=dead.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Wow, good to know. I have an old Winchester model 190 that has it's safe-off red worn nearly all the way off. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I liked it so much I did it to Casper.
Green for Safe, red for Fire.
Yeah, it looks white, the camera flash did it.
SN853366.JPG

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Wonder if you could use a letter punch before you milled out the trigger area? Or will they only work with metal?

Reactions: darbo and mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The stamps work on poly. Results vary with magic mixtures of 'plastics'. Testing a low vis surface is a good idea before jumping in.
IF you are going to strike poly it should be 100% supported at the location. It takes a good strike generally. I've heated the die (and the poly too) first so the strike can be light and the mark partly 'melted' in.

The alpha/numeric punches ALWAYS look better than 'drawn with a Dremel' unless you are a Swiss watch maker!

They work well on warmed Kydex as well if you want to mark holsters etc.

We have 3 different size sets here and have been known to write letters to friends on tin can lids - - I digress...

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
Nice work.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I thought that you had a firearm blemished while in a safe during a fire. I need to get some rest, I'm just not thinking right these days.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts