Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a box of 20 hydra shocks last night. Took them out to my place today to see if my gun would shoot them. First 4 went without a hiccup. When I past that they would get hung up on the feed ramp. Not even a tap and rack of the slide would clear them.

Guess I need to look for a different carry ammo. What is a good hollow point that expands as well as the hydra shock but doesnt have quite as large of a cavity? I've tried the winchester pdx-1 and it fed and fired fine but in the water it didnt expand as much as I would have preffered.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Check into the Honaday line. Ive shot them through my previous Taurus guns without issues.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Regardless of the media hype, there's not a nickle's worth of difference between the street performane of today's premium JHP's.

Select what you shoot the best in your particular gun.

Don't waste precious moments of life searching for the magic bullet...it doesn't exist. ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want one that will feed fine, ive seen the way the hydra shocks expand and what the pdx-1 expands. The hydra shocks do have better uniform expansion

·
Registered
431 Posts
Speer Gold dot in any caliber or weight

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thanks for the post, I also just bought a box of hydra shocks, but haven't shot any yet....This should be interesting...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be carrying my pdx-1 but trying others out to see if i can find something that expands better and still feeds %299 in my gun.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hornady tap or xtp in my 45's (pt1911 and pt145) speer gold dots in my 9mm's (pt92 and pt111)

I have absolute faith in those rounds to do the intended job if I do my part!

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
I have had good luck with Remington Golden Sabers. In my 45 1911.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suggest trying FTX. Speer Gold Dot are fantastic but have a bigger candy bowl than hydrashock. I have pistols that will feed hydrashock but not gold dots, while the reverse is not the case. A conical bullet with a polymer plug is a pretty good combo for reliable feed, and Hornady's data indicates good expansion and mitigates the problem with plugging by other material.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just got some Hornady Critical Defense 9mm for my pt709. So far I'm having some feed issues. I've polished the feed ramp and will see if that helps. Find what works and hope you never have to actually use them, but if you do at least you know what will work.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Hydra shoks and sabers are not bonded and will peel, old school . Look for bonded JHP or Hornady Critical Defense rounds and be happy.
Manufacturers websites and youtube ballistic reports go a long ways.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Bonded handgun bullets are only important if you're shooting through metal and glass. Even then, it's no guarantee that the bullet won't fragment into dust. The Hydra-Shok and Golden Sabers both meet FBI protocols, so that begs the question of under just what conditions does one NEED bonded hand-gun ammunition?

What gun are you using?

Usually, bullets with feed issues show them in full magazines, especially the nose diving. Is it possible that the magazine is having an issue with spring pressures, or dirt?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its a 24/7 pro ds.

I took the mags apart and looked at them, they were clean. and those are the only rounds ive ever had failures to feed with.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I have had good luck with Remington Golden Sabers. In my 45 1911.
Yep...that's what I use in my PT1911.

Also, Speers Gold Dots have always cycled fine in my .380 and 9mm pistols.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can polish your feed ramp to alleviate the jams OR buy Hornady Critical Defense.I have Hydra Shoks in one 9,Golden Sabers in the other,& Hornady's in my .40.The
latter have a polymer tip so there is nothing to hang up on the ramp.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I use Hydra-Shoks, or Federal HST, in most of my guns. I've never had a problem feeding them into guns that are noted for being finicky, like the Browning High Power, or the older S&W semis. That's why I mentioned the magazines, and their springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts