Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. im a fairly new firearms owner and therefore woefully underskilled in the more technical aspects of firearm maintenance. however i recently inherited my grandfathers old pt25. its an awsome little thing and i highly enjoyed shooting it. however my last time out at the range i drop it and now the tip-up barrel wont stay down/closed. i was having some trouble with it before hand, (sometimes i had to press really hard to get the barrel to stay down) but after dropping it it wont stay closed/down period. "THE BARREL" can be placed in its original position (and the gun can still fire) when held down firmly, but swings back up and open when i let it go. obviously this causes concearn for safety and shooting effiencey. like i said before i enjoy this little gun and its the only one i own, any suggestions on how i can fix this annoying little problem would be highly welcomed. thanks for your time and help.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net! :cool:

From what you described, I would not shoot the pistol another time until you contact Taurus Customer Service about the issue. Since you dropped it, I don't know if that will be covered by the lifetime warranty, but if not, they could repair it for you for a fee.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas. Good luck get your gun fixed.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello Anamasis and welcome from S.E. Tennessee; I likewise would not fire that Pistol until I got it fixed;;

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hello from Eastern Washington.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have a Beretta Tomcat with the same tip up barrel design. I know mine has a part that is rotated into place to lock the barrel down. That part has a switch or lever that your finger pushes against to cause the rotating lock part to function. It sounds like the spring that give positive pressure to keeping the locking part has come free or is loose. I made the mistake of removing the grip panels from my Tomcat only to find they seem to hold other parts in place. If the Taurus is built the same way then this really should be taken to someone who knows what they are doing or just bite your lip and send her in for repair. If you are mechincally inclined enough, I would think you could figure what is wrong and find a place like Numrich or Brownells if not direct from Taurus for the spring or other part. But this won't be as easy as you want it to be. Nothing ever is...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Welcome aboard from the KY, Horse Country!!

I am sure CS can get it repaired, but you would have to pay to ship it back. Dropping a gun does not cancel warranty as far as I know.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I would definitely call Taurus Customer Service and make arrangements to have the gun shipped back to them had let them repair it. The repairs should be covered by the lifetime warranty but the shipping costs will be on you. The good news is that when you get your grandfathers gun back it will be fully functional and safe to shoot. That should be well worth the price of shipping. I would not, however shoot that gun again until it is repaired.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.:wave:

·
Administrator
40,179 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts