Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, how many carry a Pro with one in chamber as a primary carry?

I have a 9mm but am bothered/concerned with pulling a loaded SA. Any thoughts?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Second_Life said:
Just curious, how many carry a Pro with one in chamber as a primary carry?

I have a 9mm but am bothered/concerned with pulling a loaded SA. Any thoughts?
I only have the Mil Pro, but I carry with one in the chamber. Safety on! If I follow safety proceedures, I do not anticipate any problem. My finger index's on the frame, and not on the trigger when I draw, so Thumb takes safety off, when gun comes forward, finger hits the trigger when I am ready to fire.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I have my PT111pro with 1 in the chamberand safety is on as robby stated finger doesnt go on the trigger til ready to fire.Follow the safety procedures and you cant go wrong.

A Gun Without a round in the chamber is nothing more then an expensive paper weight

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We all agree that the safety switch creates the double action process and following proper proceedures is the most important thing. I know I do follow these steps.

But, don't you feel more cautious/slower in drawing the SA versus a DAO like a LCP/P3AT pocket pistol? When I practice draw, I run my drill slowly, what will I/you do in a situation? Hit the trigger on the draw?

I love my Pro and enjoy having it. Just wondering about other's thoughts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Second_Life said:
We all agree that the safety switch creates the double action process and following proper proceedures is the most important thing. I know I do follow these steps.

But, don't you feel more cautious/slower in drawing the SA versus a DAO like a LCP/P3AT pocket pistol? When I practice draw, I run my drill slowly, what will I/you do in a situation? Hit the trigger on the draw?

I love my Pro and enjoy having it. Just wondering about other's thoughts.
One in the chamber is the only way to carry a defense gun. To many times when the gun is needed you won't have time to draw and rack one in, it needs to be there at the start. Practice drawing and dry firing. If you have a safety, and most SA's do, then practice your draw and flipping the safety with your thumb until it is just second nature. The gun should be ready to fire as it comes on target. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF the trigger until it does, that is the best safety you will ever have on any gun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey James41,

Thanks for your input on this and another topic relating to holsters. I ordered my Supertuck Deluxe for the Pro 9mm yesterday.

But to keep this thread alive......Doesn't anyone agree with me that the SA of the Pro present a more dangerous style of personal pretection in a primary carry? I seem to be extra on gaurd with how to carry/draw my Pro versus my DAO pocket. Anyone else change thier carry habits for Pro versus other carry choices?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Second_Life said:
Hey James41,

Thanks for your input on this and another topic relating to holsters. I ordered my Supertuck Deluxe for the Pro 9mm yesterday.

But to keep this thread alive......Doesn't anyone agree with me that the SA of the Pro present a more dangerous style of personal pretection in a primary carry? I seem to be extra on gaurd with how to carry/draw my Pro versus my DAO pocket. Anyone else change thier carry habits for Pro versus other carry choices?
Well ya, an SA trigger is more "dangerous" than a DA trigger because of the quicker easier pull to get it to fire, that is why i say " KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER" until you are ready to actually fire the gun. That is good advice for any gun with any trigger. Personally i would rather have a SA trigger anytime rather than a long heavy pull DA.

My AR15 when i first bought it had a 10 pound pull on the trigger. I found that the long heavy pull caused me many times to move a bit and the groups were not what you would call real tight groups. So, i took it to the smith and had him polish all the parts and reduce the pull down to 3 1/2 pounds. Made a BIG difference in the tightness of the groups.

Does the standard 24/7 have the SA/DA trigger with thumb safety and decocker like the OSS does? If so and you are really worried about the SA quick easy pull, just decock the gun and it goes to the DA mode which is a longer harder pull then. Be advised though that as the gun recycles from the first shot you will be back in SA mode.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The normal 24/7 does not have a decocker. It only has the thumb safety.

I don't find the SA trigger to be very scary, since as was stated, your finger shouldn't be there until its time to fire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I carry w/one round "in the pipe!" & a fully loaded mag. (15 - 180 Grain JHP's) Safety always on!
Taurus 24 / 7 Pro .40.

Remember, "Safety is no accident!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
paulrabe78 said:
When I carry my 24/7, I have 1 in the chamber and safety off.
paulrabe78, seems like your in the minority about safety off. I'm not getting on your case but just asking if you have practiced drawing and had a premature dry fire?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I carry a Kahr PM9, 9mm every day, all day. Occasionally I carry my Kahr MK40, 40 S&W. Neither of these have an external safety to click off. The trigger is the safety. The good thing about the Kahr trigger is its smooth silky pull. But it a long pull.

I just bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact DS (De-cock Safety) in 45 ACP. I'm the type who never uses a manual safety. A while back, I had bought a S&W M&P 45 with a manual safety. After I had gotten it, the safety started to bother me. It was far too easy to put on the safety, and me being a creature of habit who has trained for years without one, could not trust this fine pistol as my nightstand gun. I was afraid if I ever needed it and the safety was on, I might not react quick enough. I had considered sending it back to S&W for them to remove it. I got to looking at how the pistol worked, so I ended up removing it myself. That particular pistol does not need a manual safety, but it was a requirement of the US Army pistol trials to have one. It's like putting training wheels on a car. Not all of the 45 models have one, but they are easy to remove if they do.

I agree with what others have posted here though. If I carried a S/A triggered pistol, I'd sure have to strongly consider using a safety. We all know how light the 24/7 Pro and Millennium Pro triggers are. And I especially have to commend those who adamantly point out to KEEP YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD AND OFF OF THE TRIGGER! Far too many people put their fingers on the trigger long before they ought to. Good training and awareness help prevent an AD.

I want to make it clear that if my pistol did not have a long DAO trigger, then I'd want a D/A trigger. The new DS feature on the 24/7 Pro Compact allows me to have a D/A trigger. The safety works just like other 24/7's or Millenniums, except that when pushed a bit higher, it de-cocks the pistol putting it in a D/A mode for the first shot. There is a red plastic indicator at the rear of the slide that alerts you to whether or not it is cocked, and in S/A. I'm glad they have introduced this feature because when I feel the need to carry a more potent caliber, I can carry it with confidence. I hope Taurus will consider introducing this great feature on the rest of the 24/7 pro line. It, I believe, originated on the OSS.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Second_Life said:
paulrabe78, seems like your in the minority about safety off. I'm not getting on your case but just asking if you have practiced drawing and had a premature dry fire?
Yes I have practiced this. The trigger pull is long so I don't see it accidently going off. I keep the safety on when I'm at home. I feel I would forget about the safety when I needed to use my gun. One thing I never forget. Keep the finger off the trigger until it is time to fire.

I also carry a Kel-Tec P11 that has no safety and have never had a problem with it either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Second_Life said:
I carry a PT140 with one in the chamber and safety off. I keep my finger off the trigger unless I am firing. I haven't had a premature fire when practicing.

I know this question wasn't directed at me, just chiming in!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I carry mine everyday, one in the chamber, in my Comp-Tac paddle, safety off. It's no different than it was carrying my Glock. It's a mindset thing. "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch" as you would with any other gun. It seems only antis really think they go off by themselves while just sitting around or being carried.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts