Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping my eye peeled on Gunbroker for a while for a Springfield XDS40 ... But this Sheild was just hanging around .. with just a few bids ..so I placed a couple of bids and they hung .. I reeled in this pocket rocket ... This will be my first Sheild I have owned . I have fired one in 9 & 40 S&W .. I figured to run 180grs though it .. not as snappy ...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,218 Posts
Before I purchased my first .40 S&W, everyone told me, "They're too snappy! You won't be able to control it!" This, after I fell in love with shooting .44 magnums.
So I bought a Sig P250 in .40 S&W.
Then I bought a IWI Jericho in .40 S&W.
Love 'em both!

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts
Congrats ! Personally, I'm a big XD fanboy and I love the XDS line, but I've compared the two and I have to admit, the Shield is more comfortable in my hand, and recoil is a dream. I think you'll really like that gun.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Congrats ! Personally, I'm a big XD fanboy and I love the XDS line, but I've compared the two and I have to admit, the Shield is more comfortable in my hand, and recoil is a dream. I think you'll really like that gun.
+1 XDS is a fine handgun. Santa is trying to convince Mrs. Santa that she should get the XDS 9mm. She likes the M&P, the P320, and the XDS, but Santa's preference is the XD.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I looked hard at the Shield - but it did not fit me as well as the PT111, then I found my XDS and felt it was almost identical to the G2 in fit....I did get to try a Shield this past weekend in .40 to see how it felt....pretty "snappy" but doable.....but it did not feel as good to me as the XDS or G2....ergonomics are important.

If Taurus made the G2 in .45 I'd be all over it, especially if it was 10+1

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I looked hard at the Shield - but it did not fit me as well as the PT111, then I found my XDS and felt it was almost identical to the G2 in fit....I did get to try a Shield this past weekend in .40 to see how it felt....pretty "snappy" but doable.....but it did not feel as good to me as the XDS or G2....ergonomics are important.

If Taurus made the G2 in .45 I'd be all over it, especially if it was 10+1
I too really like the PT111 , and for a short time I owned a PT140 , but my friend liked more than me .. And its his now ..

Taurus used to make a PT145 10+1 in 45Acp ...

This is a Pic of my XDS45 (SS) and my XDS9

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I bought my son a shield 9mm last year, he loves it. It is a very solid choice for concealed carry, comfy and a good shooter. Excellent gun.

Kinda wish I bought myself one when they were on sale this spring. I was full up on single stack pistols (XDS 45, CM40 and K9) and had other wants at the time.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I really like the Shield. Owned one in 40S&W for a while. I didn't benjoy shooting it. I don't think it was the recoil as much as the torque. An hour or two at the range and my wrists would hurt for two or three days. Getting old sucks!

My favorite carry was the PT145. Had two of them, but we all know what happened there. I ended up with a Kahr 45. The Shield 45 came out a short while later. If the Shield 45 had been just a little earlier, I would still be a Shield owner. I'm really liking the Kahr though, I have added a Kahr 380 and believe I will add a Kahr 9 as well.

No more 40 S&W for me.

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I really like the Shield. Owned one in 40S&W for a while. I didn't benjoy shooting it. I don't think it was the recoil as much as the torque. An hour or two at the range and my wrists would hurt for two or three days. Getting old sucks!

My favorite carry was the PT145. Had two of them, but we all know what happened there. I ended up with a Kahr 45. The Shield 45 came out a short while later. If the Shield 45 had been just a little earlier, I would still be a Shield owner. I'm really liking the Kahr though, I have added a Kahr 380 and believe I will add a Kahr 9 as well.

No more 40 S&W for me.
In the right gun, the 40 is fun to shoot. The sig 229 soaks up recoil, as does the Beretta 96. The 224 is an excellent gun, my new EDC. She's a stout ol'girl, but what a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really like the Shield. Owned one in 40S&W for a while. I didn't enjoy shooting it. I don't think it was the recoil as much as the torque.
That's they way I felt about it. I rented the 9mm Shield and .40 Shield and bought the 9mm, which has been my EDC for almost 4 years. I don't think I'm really recoil sensitive (love my 44 mag) but that .40 Shield just seemed to have an obnoxious quality. I bought the .45 Shield not too long ago, and that seems much more pleasant to shoot than the .40.

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts
The 40 S&W is a stout round in a light small pistol .. But it is on the receiving end also .. .400 diameter 180gr Federal HST .. no +P needed...

FYI....there is no +P designation for the 40 cal. It's a pretty high powered round in standard SAAMI specs. I guess if you want more punch, you'd need to go buy a 10mm. ;)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I find my .45 XDS 3.3 has more of a 'push' than 'snap' or 'flip'......in fact my PT111 has more 'snap' than my XDS - again if Taurus came out with a PT145G2 I would be on a waiting list for it.....I believe strongly that having a single platform is beneficial.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI....there is no +P designation for the 40 cal. It's a pretty high powered round in standard SAAMI specs. I guess if you want more punch, you'd need to go buy a 10mm. ;)

I have a 29 ... And I use Underwood 180gr GD and 200gr XTP ... Like its son , no +P needed

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.