Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any body own a S&W MP 40c (10+1) or 9c (12+1) ? I am looking at these with the thumb safety. Your experiences would be appreciated. Comparing them to the PT140 G2 and PT111 G2 would be helpful as well. UPDATE: as of 11pm August 1st I just bought the M&P 9c and 40c on line from Buds. Gonna have to sell some guns.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Will say the 40 has a robust recoil if your used to that caliber,The 9mm is a good firearm,works,watch the extractor for wear I have seen a few fail at the range.The ones my friends have have a bit larger grip than I am used to.all in all the Taurus G2C have been coming from factory well made,no fails on our two that we have.accuracy and dependability are flwless,not to say some have issues but usually shooters grip fails.Highly recommend you thoughouly clean all firearms before going to the range ,thats a fail some do not take seriously and then have fails at range because of grease,dirt,debris,it will make your day at range much more pleasurable.Go with the Taurus G2C !

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've had a 9C and currently have a 40C along with an OEM 9mm barrel and magazines I use to convert it to 9mm. I also have a FS and the OEM 9mm barrel and magazines for it too. In my and my hand's opinion the M&Ps are soft shooting polymer handguns and I've never had an issue with any of mine. I really can't tell much difference shooting them in 40 or 9mm. I can't comment on the PT140, or 111 never having shot them, but I'm a big fan of the M&Ps. BTW my M&Ps are the non-safety versions.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I want to start carrying the S&W's. I sent my PT111 G2 to Taurus yesterday to see if they can correct the light strike issue and my PT140 G2 still has a burr or something in the trigger which makes me nervous. I am keeping and plan to keep in my EDCC rotation my 709 and 740. I recently purchased a SD40 which I like a lot and do carry concealed from time to time, but I would not cc that SD40 to work or private functions. I am going to see how the S&W M&P's are and then think about thinning the heard. I have heard great things about the M&P's, have shot my sisters M&P Shield. Like getting back to Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I have the MP40C. Also have a couple of PT-111. The MP does feel most substantial overall. The 40WE is a hoot to shoot.
My MP does not have the slide safety however, I do wish that it did.
I also have a drop in conversion barrel for shooting 357 Sig out of the MP which makes for a nice smooth shooting weapon.

All of that being said, I carry my PT111 much more often than the MP.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I just bought the M&P compact 2.0 9mm and it is a great shooter. very well balanced very little recoil. I just ordered a new belt my old one got a little to big so I have not carried it as yet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I owned a M&P 9c. It is a good gun with good ergonomics. At the time I carried a Ruger Lc9s. I had a serious flare up of arthritis in my left hand and it got to a point where I could not rack either gun. I bought a and sold the others guns. Then my Marine person a resurfaced and I did hand therapy for 8 months. During that time I bought a SW SD9VE for the home because the 17+1 capacity made me feel like if zimhad to use it I would not have to reload.

On th e completion of therapy I could rack the SD9VE. So I looked for a more carryable gun. I read about the G2C in 9mm. I rented one at my LGS range. I really liked it. WhT I likes about the DW and MP 9s was father ergonomics. I think SW products are ergonomically superior to many others. But the G2C matched that feel. So I bought the gun. After a couple months I bought a second one in case one becomes unavailable for any reason.

So so here is my bottom line. I will,take the G2C over the M&P 9c any day. It is as accurate, has the same capacity, which is enough for SD situations, feels as good if not better in the hand, and costs a heck of a lot less. Let me seal the thread with this. I have never owned two of the same guns until now. That is how much I like it. rounds through the first one I have not had a single malfunction or failure of any kind, but it do not shoot crap ammo. I say get a G2c.

Reactions: vboy36

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi 1942bull glad you are happy with the G2C and that your therapy worked on the arthritis, that is awesome! I carried my PT111 G2 for about two years, had two of them as well, one is at Taurus hopefully getting the light strike issue corrected and I sold the other. My PT140 has a kinky trigger and I am wondering why I would trust it as a self defense gun, so it may go to Taurus as well. I carry my 709 almost daily and plan on keeping the 740 and 709. Real happy to hear all the good news on the MP 9c and 40c and can't wait to get them at the range.

Carry on!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the MP40C. Also have a couple of PT-111. The MP does feel most substantial overall. The 40WE is a hoot to shoot.
My MP does not have the slide safety however, I do wish that it did.
on the MP.
Yes, jonrjen, I like these type of semiautos to have a manual safety (my personal preference). I like to carry with a round in the chamber so unless the trigger is a long, heavy double action like the SD40, I need to have a manual safety on the frame. Thanks for the info, good to know.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Thanks everyone. I want to start carrying the S&W's. I sent my PT111 G2 to Taurus yesterday to see if they can correct the light strike issue and my PT140 G2 still has a burr or something in the trigger which makes me nervous. I am keeping and plan to keep in my EDCC rotation my 709 and 740. I recently purchased a SD40 which I like a lot and do carry concealed from time to time, but I would not cc that SD40 to work or private functions. I am going to see how the S&W M&P's are and then think about thinning the heard. I have heard great things about the M&P's, have shot my sisters M&P Shield. Like getting back to Smith and Wesson.
Nothing wrong with that plan! ;)

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Yes, jonrjen, I like these type of semiautos to have a manual safety (my personal preference). I like to carry with a round in the chamber so unless the trigger is a long, heavy double action like the SD40, I need to have a manual safety on the frame. Thanks for the info, good to know.
I agree with you on the personal preference of the slide safety whole heartedly. I do carry my Beretta Pico more often than any other firearm during the summer. Both the Beretta Pico and the Nano do not offer the slide safety, but the trigger pull is so darn hard/still/deliberate that to fire the pistol would have to be an intentional calculated action to carry though. I have never fully understood the desire to have or install a very light trigger pull on a self defense carry firearm.

Hope you get the opportunity to post up a few pictures and review.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
OH, I'm sure that you are aware of it, but just incase someone else is sitting of the fence thinking about a MP purchase, there is currently a $50 online rebate being offered from S&W.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts