Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has had an M&P9 for about 2 years and she absolutely loves the thing. My daughter loved it so much I went and bought her one just like Mom's. My wifes gun has a real nice smooth crisp trigger but my daughters has the nastiest grittiest trigger I have ever felt! I looked the gun over before I bought it and I didnt feel the grittyness when I inspected it.

We went to the reange tonight and shot 100 rounds or so though it and had no malfunctions what so ever. The gunsmith at the range said there is a trigger modification you can do for about $150 that will smooth it right out...I am not so sure I want to spend another buck fifty to smooth this out.

Other than spending hours using snap caps and good ole finger muscles to work the trigger and hope the "burrs" smooth out, what else can I do that in not overly expensive? I do not have any experience in gun smithing and dont really want to try my luck learning on a trigger job. I have not yet notified S&W of any issue as the gun functions properly... Any help and ideas will be appreciated.

OK now the good stuff: My daughter and I had an absolute blast shooting! We took her M&P 9, her M&P 15-22, my XD9, my Rossi plinker, and myBersa Thunder 380. We probably shot 200 or 300 total rounds today and it was great father daughter time!! My daughter is 21 and is becoming quite the little shooter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the apex tactical competition kit in mine and love it. Easy to do yourself. They have videos posted.
They have a few different options. Duty/carry, forward set sear, competition. I have tried all and they are all very smooth and crisp.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
OK I might be roasted for this but here's what I would do.
Remove ALL lubrication for the trigger and firing pin assy.
Go out and shoot a box of 50. Then clean and relube everything.
That little bit of extra wear might smooth off the rough edges.

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
Spend the $150 and get it done right.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Put a few hundred rounds through it first before deciding anything. Triggers smooth out with use typically.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
You already have one factory smooth trigger so I'm thinking I would travel the cheap route first. Spray degreaser through it. Use some modest compressed air. Snap caps and dry fire 50 times or so. Clean again. Oil it. A bit more snap caps, degrease it one more time, forced air. Oil it one last time. If this brief routine doesn't help then by all means spend the big bucks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, you can take out the striker block and polish it up. That. along with polishing the tab on the trigger bar, will immediately smooth out an M&P trigger! The striker block is rather roughly machined and makes that takeup gritty and rough. Trust me, i know!

·
Registered
698 Posts
First, I'd flush out the lower frame with synthetic safe gun scrubber. Hopefully you'll blast out the crud making the trigger feel gritty. If that doesn't work, detail strip the lower. Clean out any excess lube and fouling that may be in there. If you have the ability to do it, inspect all the parts. Look for any rough spots or burrs in the sear and disconnect & polish them out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Apex trigger kit is the BEST mod you can do to a M&P. Lightens the trigger along with smoothing it up. Easy peasy to install.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, you can take out the striker block and polish it up. That. along with polishing the tab on the trigger bar, will immediately smooth out an M&P trigger! The striker block is rather roughly machined and makes that takeup gritty and rough. Trust me, i know!
This ^^^. I put a radius and polish on the striker block before putting the entire Apex kit in. If you don't want to mod your striker block, or buy the kit, get the Apex USB (Ultimate Striker Block). The M&P striker block surface has the greatest influence on smoothing out the trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
APEX (as others have mentioned) offers a couple of different options that are very popular, do-it-yourself, and may do what you want. However, I don't know that they would be my first choice for anything other than a competition or range gun. I've read several reports of the triggers getting lighter with wear, sometimes leaving them (eventually) too light for safe carry and/or duty use.

Another option you might consider is the M&P Pistol Action Package from the Performance Center at S&W. For $120 ($150 expedited), they install the competition sear (used in the Pro series pistols), tune the action, polish the ramp, and test fire. The really nice thing here is that for a little more money, you get a full tune on the whole action with a trigger pull similar to the APEX mod, that won't effect your warranty.

Either way you go, I think you'll be pleased. The M&P's are currently one of my favorite pistols; mine are very accurate, very pleasent to shoot. Oh, and I *love* the fact that I can reload from an empty-and-locked-open condition without racking the slide or touching the slide release latch. Just slap a fresh magazine in firmly and go! :)

EDIT: One more thought; I've noticed that, at least on some of the M&P pistols, the "grittiness" can be the result of the trigger safety dragging against the frame. At least in some cases, engaging the trigger finger lower on the trigger (so forcing the trigger safety to pivot further out of the way) can help. Naturally, a little "tuning" (i.e. sanding) on the trigger safety “tab” could help, too. But it could be easy to go too far at this, so it might be worth leaving to the professionals.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips! So far I have probably squeazed 500 to 600 shots off on the snap caps and It is better but still gritty. I more good cleaning and I may just send it off to have a good polishing done. My daughter is not overly concerned with the grittyness but I want it to be perfect for her. I guess she is worth an extra $150 or so. I watched the videos on howto install the components, and feel like I COULD do the job myself but since this is her gun I dont want to take a chance on her safety. Thanks again for the help!!!
N2C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts