Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my Grandfathers gun and my mom gave it to me. I really would like to know the age of the pistol and if anyone could tell me anything about the grips. I've Googled anything I could about the grips but can't seem to find any info. Any help would be appreciated
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone has inletted part of a buffalo nickel into the handle.
The buffalo is to large to be from a nickel, it's a little wider than a quarter in size.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Go to the Smith & Wesson forum or find a Smith collector and ask. The J frame Smiths have been carried and shot for years. Very good guns, owned several in different calibers over the years.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Your inletted buffalo emblem is identical to that of the buffalo on the buffalo nickel, just larger. Perhaps it came from a medallion or some one carved it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your inletted buffalo emblem is identical to that of the buffalo on the buffalo nickel, just larger. Perhaps it came from a medallion or some one carved it.
It could be, they look like custom made grips. I even think whatever screw that is holding them on must be under the buffalo's too. That's the only thing I can come up with, any other suggestions?

Go to the Smith & Wesson forum or find a Smith collector and ask. The J frame Smiths have been carried and shot for years. Very good guns, owned several in different calibers over the years.
I probably will, I just wanted to give some of the Guys/Gals around here a shot at it before I join another forum. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
One thing is for sure, those grips are beautiful!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That has no model number inscribed; that makes it pre 1957 when Smiff started numbering them. It's possible that it is an "improved "I" frame". Predecessor to the "J" frame. I can't tell from the pictures.

Reactions: Superwoody

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
You can also call S&W's customer service and give them the full serial number, they well tell you over the phone it's actual "Ship Date"; the day it left the factory.

For more details go to their web site fill out the "Letter" application along with a check for $50 an their Historian Roy Jinks, will send you an authentication letter with a lot more detail than the date; such as in what configuration it left the factory in, and whom it was sent to.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts