Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up about 200 .38spl cases at the range last week. Going through them today and a bunch of them have a headstamp "S&W 38SPL". Didn't know S&W made ammo. Anyone see these before?

No picture, cell phone camera won't focus on it.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

Administrator
Yes I have. I have some .38Spl., and if I'm not mistaken, some .357Mag. I don't recall where I got them.

Registered
The cartridge is properly called S&W 38 Special. S&W does not make the ammo.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
Okay found this, looks like S&W made ammo for a while.

sw38spl.jpg
S&W
Smith & Wesson Ammunition Company, Rock Creek, Ohio, 44084

Registered
I found a few oddball headstamps in some 357 brass I traded for. The center one is a S&W stamp, the others are Midway and Browning.

Administrator
Okay found this, looks like S&W made ammo for a while.

View attachment 108637
S&WSmith & Wesson Ammunition Company, Rock Creek, Ohio, 44084
I had to look too. It was a joint venture with Fiocchi. In the early 70s. Geeze, it's hard to believe I have brass that old!

Attachments

Registered
I still have a box or two with the S&W logo on them and I'm sure I still have some of the brass in my mixed brass containers.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

Registered
Thanks smokewagon, you saved me from diving into my stash of old ammo.

I shot many rounds of their .38 and .357 "in the day".

Premium Member
I have several hundred S&W head stamped .357 Magnum cases, I got them from a LEO he said they were once fired LE ammo from when they were packing wheel guns....

Registered
FYI

Smith & Wesson invented & introduced the S&W .38 special in 1899 and the S&W .357 magnum in 1935.

In the early years gun makers hated to market anything with a competitors name on it.

Nowadays it's not the case so you can see a Taurus, Kimber et al in a .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) caliber or .40 S&W caliber.

Registered
Not only did S&W produce/market a line of ammo, it came in a blue and white box, they also marketed a line of powders . Alcan , it came in a blue and silver square container. It had S&W on it but was made in Sweden. I still have some Alcan#5 and some primers, marked Alcan and S&W. This was the 70's and they wanted to get into the reloading market.
The ammo, powders and primers were quality products. With the powder shortage , I discovered the Alcan #5 in a closet, it still smelled and looked good, so I've been using it to reload handgun ammo.
Gary

Super Moderator

Registered
I've got a bag of .45LC brass with the S&W Headstamp on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts