Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought my first revolver a S&W 642 cant wait to shoot it ......anyway just looking for comments on the gun and is there a real diffence between 38+p and a 357 bullet? just curious to know also anybody carry a 38+P for there primary gun?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
fltrucker73 said:
is there a real diffence between 38+p and a 357 bullet?
Out of a 4-inch barrel the .357 Magnum more than doubles the energy of a 38+P load. For a 2-inch snub I feel the 38+P is a better load than the .357

·
Registered
89 Posts
I cannot recommend shooting 357 rounds out of a 2 inch gun. the recoil is just insane. 38 +P is a much better choice, a good compromise between controllability and power. I carry Golden Sabre, and Cor-bob DPX rounds in .38 +P, in my M85. Speer Gold Dot is also a good carry load for a Snub.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You know I been thinking about this with other questions.

If you load one up and alternate, 38, 357, 38+P, 38 light load, etc, you could tell in a heartbeat what you want to use. Or is that in a sore wrist break, or sore nose break.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you load one up and alternate, 38, 357, 38+P, 38 light load, etc, you could tell in a heartbeat what you want to use
That's exactly what a cop at my local range did to me when I was being indecisive. he loaded up a SP101 with 38 -> 38+ ->357->38+->38. I was happy with .38+ , of course the Marine next to me was very happy shooting the 357s . So everyone is different.

·
Registered
959 Posts
fltrucker73,... I think everybody here will say that's a nice Gun...<:))

This is the GUN you bought Right... Lets see your Pics of it...<:))
The Specs.~Smith & Wesson Model 642 Revolver 38 Special
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G163810

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it is just with the laser on it it i was pretty accurate up to 25 ft and +p wasnt bad to shot either, using gold dot 135 gr hp. I love this gun I almost forget its in my pocket....just woundering could i get the trigger pulled lighten up a bit by a gunsmith and/or wound it be a good idea do to DA only gun?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! They are very nice guns!

I think +P's are a good choice for carry/home defense. I use Hydra-shok's 129 grain JHP.

I love snubby's. With practice, one can really shoot them well. I wouldn't worry about the DA trigger pull. If you read all the internet hype on trigger pull, you can go nuts. Just practice, practice, practice!

Great gun!!!

Donald

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah, those from Sgt. pictures look like a great DAO gun. I know I am to the point with my SA/DA Rossi, that I am in love with it. I may fire a few 357's thru it, because I can, but I seriously doubt if I will carry with more than 38 JHP, maybe +P.

Even I got more accuracy than I ever expected with a 2.25" snubby. Mine rides in a vest pocket, and yeah it seems to be comfortable to me too.

Good choice to say the least on your part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts