Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of getting a S&W 642 for pocket carry.

Does Taurus make anything that is equal or superior to this gun, for the same price?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You might get better results from you question in the Revolver section. I'll shift it there for you.

No harm, no foul

Steelheart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Taurus 650 is the same type as the S&W 642. Both models have their adherents and detractors.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
i got the s&w 642 with laser love it and paided 539.00 plus tax i bought it becouse it was light and had a laser which i feel is needed on such a small gun and with such small sights i have put 200+ rounds thought it and not a problem yet......

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Taurus has some design improvements over the S&W. From what I've heard from several J-Frame S&W owners is that they tend to shake loose with +Ps over an extended time. I've not heard the same from the Taurus owners I know. Personally, I don't like any of the .38 snubbies as well as the .357s. I know the .357s will handle +Ps with no problem. I did see a S&W Model 60 in .357 with 3" barrel and adjustable rear sights I liked the other day, but not enough to drop the $650 & change the wanted for it. Also, I know 2 guys at the local range that sell the S&W Js, but carry the Taurus Ti. That tells me alot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
woodtick, i got my at shooter in Jacksonville,FL they have an online sight but its higher if intersted i get you info

·
Registered
497 Posts
My son gave me a NIB S&W 642 for Christmas. I carry it as a back-up gun at work, in a Desantis pocket holster, and I hardly know it is there. It is loaded with Speer Gold Dot, 135 gr. +P Short Barrel loads. Taurus has a design feature on their version that I like, an ejection rod shroud. I'm ceretain they function identicaly, since they are basicly the same gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
They've gone up a little, were selling 642 airweights for about 310 at a local gun shop here. I've fired a few, trigger is rougher and stiffer than my M85SSUL, prefer my Taurus and prefer (a personal thing) a hammer spur even though I pocket the gun a lot.

To each his own. The 642 is probably Smith and Wesson's BEST bargain, great little defense revolver and actually affordable. I've been tempted, but never bit because I just like my Taurus and it fits the niche fine for me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You may want to consider the Ruger SP101. I know the S&W J frame revolvers have been experiencing alot of failures. U know the SP101 is thought of very highly by many.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I own a bri....uh....SP101 and it's not in a class with the light weight J frames as a pocket gun, for sure. It's the smallest, lightest .357 I can comfortably shoot. BUT, at 27 ounces, it's about as easy to carry my 3" Taurus M66. I do like the round butt profile of the Hogue I put on the SP101, though, very nice. :D It carries well IWB, but I pocket carry a lot and don't haul it around in a pocket. I have thunderwear which carries the SP101 comfortably.

A 17-19 ounce gun like my 85UL or the 642, I'll put .38s in it. Even with the J frame .357s, I'll shoot .38s in 'em. BUT, they ride in a pocket nicely, you forget they are there. The SP101 is heavy enough to be a total pain and, besides, the Hogue (necessary for me because ot the recoil with hot loads) doesn't conceal like a boot grip does, either. My SP101 rides in an ankle holster rather well, too. Can't say that about the SP101. Kinda like putting on ankle weights to work out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I rather have a brick that isnt prone to cracking unlike the S&W J frame revolvers. I would also have a brick instead of a stupid internal gun lock. A firearm is not meant to be locked.

You can get a SP101 that weighs 24 ounces for the 38 special and 25 ounces for the 357.

http://www.thegunzone.com/sw340pd.html

You can find many articles about this problem with the S&W J frame on the net. Cracks have happened on their SS and UL models.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Taurus does not have any gun that is equal to the S&W...unless you're talking new. I'd take a new Taurus over a new S&W because S&W's lock is something I refuse to buy. It fails too often for my tastes. I've not heard of the Taurus lock failing at random.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is another article by Chuck Hawks that might shed some light on this topic. I still think that after looking at both guns schematic drawings, the Taurus is a little better made and has some improvements over the S&W. I've been looking at the 3" SP-101, too. In 357 the extra inch barrel would help the caliber some and would really add to the .38 +Ps.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/smith-wesson_dark.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts