Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get one of the aforementioned firearms with part of my tax rebate. LGS says he can get one through Davidson's for around 350 (+tax, title, moon-roof etc.).

I would have to go to my local Gander/Fleet Farm and see what it feels like in my hand - before I commit to anything. How does this compare to the TCP? The TCP is about 200 bones at the same LGS.

Good/Bad/Ugly with the BG?

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's an awesome gun, you just need to get used to the small grip. Try considering the Beretta nano 9mm, I like 9mm better than 380, 9mm are just cheaper ammo, and huge selection's of good hollow points.

·
Registered
36,907 Posts
well they are not bad, they like many new wepaosn on the market went through maybe a few more problems than the others.
seems i haven't heard any bad reports on them recently.
I just don't see a lot of them at the range as compared to the other pocket pistols in this area.
I have shot a couple -three, i am just not a laser guy so they aren't for me.
Mill pro has or had one and can give you a better overview, course he has seriouly upgraded and bet he never returns to the bodyguard.
I personally wouldn't buy any pocket pistol with out throughly playing wiht it and would really want to shoot it before buying one as well,these things are real personal in fit.
I still think for the money the TCP 738 is the best buy on the market right now.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an awesome gun, you just need to get used to the small grip. Try considering the Beretta nano 9mm, I like 9mm better than 380, 9mm are just cheaper ammo, and huge selection's of good hollow points.
I did look in to it. Looks like Nano's are little more finicky on the ammo. I already have the PT111 and would rather have a a pocket 380.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I own both the Body Guard & NANO the NANO hates WWB ammo it wont shoot it at all and with the ammo scare its hard to find quality ammo in 124 gr to shoot. The Body Guard is a good gun trigger is long and kinda suck and the laser is just poo poo.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...Mill pro has or had one and can give you a better overview, course he has seriouly upgraded and bet he never returns to the bodyguard.

Heh, Heh, Heh.:D

My wife now carries the S&W Bodyguard.

It has been a reliable little carry gun.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I've had mine for a few years now and love it. I carry it as a BUG in the winter and it's my summer carry as well. If you get one PM me for a great holster maker for it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not a hater, not a fan. had one but disliked it. Laser was useless, trigger was awful. My TCP is far more user friendly.

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Administrator
40,369 Posts
Well, it's a Smith&Wesson. :thumb: I have a relative that has one, and it's pretty danged nice. Well made and a nice shooter to boot. Lately I've considered replacing my current pocket pistol with one. I think you would like it. I do.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
I shot a few of the pocket .380's when I was looking. The bodyguard felt best in my hands until I fired it. Ended up with the TCP, it just felt right while shooting it. The bodyguard worked just fine, and my friend still has it and has had no problems. If you get the chance fire one and see how it feels to you.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I had a S&W Bodyguard .380. It did feel good in the hand. The trigger is long, heavy and has a bad break. The little button for the laser is kind of funky to turn on and off.

I sold it as soon as I got word that my Mom had bought me the Taurus 738 TCP.

As you can tell she also got me the Taurus 709 Slim to keep it company. :yipee:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a S&W Bodyguard .380. It did feel good in the hand. The trigger is long, heavy and has a bad break. The little button for the laser is kind of funky to turn on and off.

I sold it as soon as I got word that my Mom had bought me the Taurus 738 TCP.

As you can tell she also got me the Taurus 709 Slim to keep it company. :yipee:
Lucky. :)

Thanks for the feedback. How does the TCP compare to the BG?? As far as feel in the hand etc...

Sent from my Nexus 7

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Lucky. :)

Thanks for the feedback. How does the TCP compare to the BG?? As far as feel in the hand etc...

Sent from my Nexus 7
Good but different. You'll notice that the BG has "finger" groves and has a little "extra" on the magazine; though they also come with flat bottom magazines, the TCP doesn't. It does make the BG feel a little better but I prefer just about everything else the TCP has to offer.

The trigger on the TCP is by far the best trigger you will find on any pocket .380.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Good but different. You'll notice that the BG has "finger" groves and has a little "extra" on the magazine; though they also come with flat bottom magazines, the TCP doesn't. It does make the BG feel a little better but I prefer just about everything else the TCP has to offer.

The trigger on the TCP is by far the best trigger you will find on any pocket .380.
I remembered some other things too.

The S&W has real sights on it. But to of little use. I could never get patterns like this with it.

This is from the very first; and so far only, time I've shot my 738.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. I cannot find a BG anywhere. Buds has some, but want 450 - and, that is their VIP price!! - so, am going to wait while I hear back from a local GS. This week, Gander has the TCP at 199. :)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
BTW, I never use the laser cat toy, they could have left it off and reduced the price JMHO.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Cool. I cannot find a BG anywhere. Buds has some, but want 450 - and, that is their VIP price!! - so, am going to wait while I hear back from a local GS. This week, Gander has the TCP at 199. :)
Just remember don't get a pistol just to get it, if you don't like it you probably wont carry it. JMHO

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just remember don't get a pistol just to get it, if you don't like it you probably wont carry it. JMHO
From what I've read on the internet, the laser is not of much use on the BG. I was leaning towards the BG, but looks like it is going to be out of my price range the way things are. Waiting on a call from one other place tomorrow to see if they can find me one for around 300. If not, it is going to be the TCP at Gander for 199.

I will probably like the TCP, as it has felt good in the hands, but would have preferred something with an external safety.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts