Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions and those that have either on which would be better to buy. I have a ST rifle that I can use the lower from for now. I will most likely get another lower in kit form to build for the .22 upper if I go that route. The upper I am looking at is a CMMG. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have shot a few .22 conversions and did not like them, a 5.56 barrel is just not optimized for a .22LR round. I have had positive results out of complete uppers and have shot a couple of the CMMG, one 16" and a 20". Both shot 100% and were pretty accurate.

In the end I bought a S&W 15-22, I figured if I got an upper I would just end up getting tired of switching and would end up with a new lower, so the Smith made sense to me. Mine has been very reliable and pretty accurate. The only negative was the trigger pull was around 8# which is way to heavy. I put a $8 JP spring kit in it and now it is a pretty crisp 3.5#, plus it matches my 5.56 M&P15!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I vote for .22 upper.

The M&P15-22 is supposed to be a great AR22, but I think for the money, you'd be better off buying a dedicated .22 upper and a couple thousand rounds of .22lr. You can put together a basic lower for about $150 later on, and still have about the same amount into it as you would into the S&W. You should be able to get a Chiappa or CMMG or similar for around $300 v. around $450 for the S&W.

If you know your not going to ever want to use it for anything other than .22, get the S&W. If you think there's even a possiblility that you'll want to put a 5.56 upper on it one day, put together a dedicated .22lr AR with a "normal" lower half.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts