Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new crossbreed for my TCP the last few weeks and loving it. I noticed today that on the side that touches the leather is starting to develop a few rust spots. Nothing major, a quick clean and lube fixed it (minus a few blemishes in the blue). Any tips to prevent this? I know its going to get holster wear, not worried about that. I just don't want any rust or corrosion to impede performance. Airsoft gun Starting pistol Trigger Airsoft

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Rub the leather with some gun oil. You might also try EEZOX on the gun itself. Gives it a good dry (eliminates finger printing the visible kind at least) finish.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Is the leather side horsehide or cowhide? You may need to put some leather treatment with silicone on the leather panel. Normally, the leather shouldn't cause rust, so your sweat may be coming through the leather (meaning the back panel is cowhide). The treatment should stop the sweat penetration.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
The same thing happened with my Ruger LC9.

I live on the Texas Gulf coast where it is hot and humid, with corrosive salt air.
Perspiration can be very corrosive after a while.

I found that EEZOX worked about the best to both remove rust and protect the metal from later rusting.

My TCP has the stainless slide for just that reason, an other than the LC9, ALL of my other carry weapons are stainless steel rather than blued or treated steel.

You might want to decide if the do-it-yourself DURACOTE would be good for your TCP. I am seriously considering it for my LC9.

DuraCoat Shake 'N Spray

DuraCoat Shake 'N Bake

DuraCoat Starter Kits

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its cowhide.

I doubt its the actual cowhide causing any problems. I had it on me all day saturday and kn the rain for about an hour and a half. I also was out in the sun for several hours yesterday sweating like crazy. So its prob caused by the mix of those two

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
207 Posts
Frog lube! My PT92 was having the same issue and a good weekly treatment of frog lube with a daily microfiber rub down is keeping the rust away!

You can also treat the leather with the same frog lube and it repels water and sweat like nobody's business.

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Be aware that some holsters are made using a tanning solution that is corrosive to metal when mixed with sweat, or simple humidity. Vegetable tanned leather is safer. Leather holsters, like leather shoes, need a minimum of 24 hours after exposure to water to dry. The advice of using a silicone solution on the interior of the holster is sound. Be sure to note, though, that constant application of that silicone will eventually soften the leather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts