Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, I discovered a small area of rust on the right side of the grip and slightly under the grip covers as well. I thought nothing of it and went on to scrub it off using Hoppe's 9 and a brass brush. The other day I noticed a larger area of rust build up inside the bottom of the magwell. Again I removed it with H9 and gave it a good coating with gun grease.

This gun is not a safe Queen. She is my daily carry and also sleeps by my side. My home has central air which never goes off, so humidity is low. I also haven't taken it out much because I have not gone anywhere much. So why the rust? This is the first time any of my guns have shown any rust and 99% of them are blued.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think alot of people will agree that the finish is the one area on the PT1911 that needs some work. I polished mine using flitz and now it looks much better. I have also noticed that when I sweat on it (it was 100 in the shade at the range Monday down here) that the sweat beads up on it like a car finish now. Fingerprints wipe off a bit easier now too. I didn't have a rust problem to start with but this may help you out some. Good luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am thinking about breaking my PT1911 down and having the frame and slide parkarized. The process of having it done would pretty much "nuke" rust.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My only question on refinishing is would it void a warranty? You wouldn't think so, but I'd really like a real answer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am thinking about calling Taurus anyway. I have an internet phone so it is no cost to me. I will ask them if the warranty will be voided. However, they only cover cosmetic problems with the gun for 1 year, so I don't think parkarizing will void the warranty unless they can claim it would be responsible for cracks to the frame and/or slide. I will call them on Monday and will follow up with some answers if I get them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRAEGER said:
My only question on refinishing is would it void a warranty? You wouldn't think so, but I'd really like a real answer.
No it will not. I called Taurus months ago about voiding warranty and re-bluing. However, duracoating or any other applications my be an entirely different animal. For that it may pay to call. One word of warning though. When dealing with Taurus CS, it is best if you fully explain what is meant by "refinishing" and go over it more than once. It may be considered a modification, so they may have to ask someone in a higher position for a proper answer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd consider the transition from air conditioned low humidity air to hot, humid, midwest summer air. Few weeks ago had a shoot, came home, put it away without cleaning cuz of a family reunion. Took it out to the shed to clean the following day, and by the time I got into the shed, the gun was literally wet with condensation. Went back inside, told the wife she was just gonna have to deal with the smell for a bit and cleaned it inside.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't able to get around to calling Taurus today as I planned. It has been a real busy Monday for me! I will see if I can get some answers in the next couple days.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One big plus to the PT1911 is that it takes every Mil-Spec part that I know of, so voiding a warrenty isn't that big of a deal really and 1911 parts are not that expensive either.

Anything plus to the PT1911 ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just got off the phone with Taurus customer service and was informed that if I have my PT1911 refinished at all, that the lifetime warranty WILL be voided. I asked how I would be able to refinish the gun after the 1 year warranty on the finish expires without voiding the warranty and was told that I would have to buy a new finished part from Taurus and replace the old part.

So, there you have it. I asked if I sent my gun in to have it refinished by Taurus whether or not the warranty would be voided and the CSR told me that Taurus does not refinish guns. So, if there is a finish problem with your gun, then you would have to ship it to Taurus within the first year of the life of the pistol. It sounds like they will replace the parts with worn finish.

Honestly, I think their policy on refinishing the gun is bad. I will likely have my gun refinished and not worry about the warranty, since from what I have read most, if not all, the parts on the Taurus can be replaced with clone 1911 parts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pierce, I posted this awhile back on the m1911org site. We really need to have Taurus put something in writing. This is just my post. The link will take you to the entire thread.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=29463

Hey Glock (and all else this may pertain to),

I figured since I sparked this issue. It was my responsibility to keep us better informed. Yes, it is true that I called Taurus and inquired about the finish/warranty debate. So, I called again an spoke with Marlene in customer service (just a minute ago). I'm pretty sure she was the one I spoke to last time. I remained polite and asked her the same question again. She responded with the same answer. Lifetime warranty is voided if any part of finish is removed or redone.

I explained that this did not make any sense. I can understand if the warranty on the finish became void, but not the entire warranty on the firearm. It is not a part of the weapon functionality. I asked her if I could please speak to someone else, then she put me on hold for about a minute. She then returned with a different response. She informed me that any work done on the gun pertaining to the finish would only void the one year warranty on the finsh. She also stated that the main lifetime warranty would remain intact, unless any real modifications were done i.e. trigger work, hammer swap. This I said, I understood and was ok with that.

I then went over what she had stated to me again so I got it right. I told Marlene that a lot of Taurus owners need to know this important piece of information (Yes, we are Borg and I spoke for the collective ). After I got the correct information, I thanked her and wished her a nice day.

I hope that clears things up. I do want to say, if any of you want to be absolutely sure about the Taurus warranty. Give them a call, ask for Marlene (be polite, but persistent). I felt that she didn't shrug me away and got the answer that we needed. In saying that, I really believe that unless CS reps are really passionate about the company or products they represent. They are only going to give you the barest information, which may or may not be entirely correct. We need to always to take it a step further, thus educating them as well.

Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks Schlemer,

But at this point I don't care. I am going to have my pistol refininished, Taurus warranty be damned! The gun is so cheap, the parts seem hearty, I don't think it will be a problem. Not to mention that if it does break I will look forward to fixing it myself. ;D However, Taurus customer service did tell me that refinishing would void the warranty. So, if anyone wants to do it, I suggest calling Taurus if you don't believe me. Please post what Taurus tells you.

·
32,654 Posts
I agree that Taurus needs to allow for refinishing within reason on both parties sides.

The good news is that since this is a 1911,owners and local knowledgeable gunsmiths can work on most parts of the gun themselves,if they take the time to learn what to do and proper care.

So the warranty, if voided, can be worked on by a lot of different, and hopefully, fully accredited personnel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pierce said:
Thanks Schlemer,

But at this point I don't care. I am going to have my pistol refininished, Taurus warranty be damned! The gun is so cheap, the parts seem hearty, I don't think it will be a problem. Not to mention that if it does break I will look forward to fixing it myself. ;D However, Taurus customer service did tell me that refinishing would void the warranty. So, if anyone wants to do it, I suggest calling Taurus if you don't believe me. Please post what Taurus tells you.
Pierce,
I took your approach some time ago. Warranties are nice, but as QD pointed out. 1911's parts are so readily available that it is hardly worth the bother (and aggravation).

Also, I do believe you. When I called Taurus the first time. I was told the same thing as you. It was my second call and persistence that gave me the answer I posted above. Taurus needs to have their CSR understand wording. Re-bluing is not a modification.

Honestly though, if this is the only real main issue with the gun. Then I think we did ok. I depend on my 1911 for function not cosmetics.

peace

·
Registered
276 Posts
schlemer said:
Pierce,
I took your approach some time ago. Warranties are nice, but as QD pointed out. 1911's parts are so readily available that it is hardly worth the bother (and aggravation).
Precisely. We agree. However, some folks will always want to be sure; so a phone call to Taurus might be helpful for them.

I just packed up my PT1911 and shipped it today. In about a month, maybe less, it should come back to me with a brush chromed slide and a parkarized frame! I can't wait! :yipee:

Edit: Oh, yeah, I didn't tell you all where I sent it. Here is the place... http://www.elitecustomguns.com/index.htm

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent, Please show us the photos of your finished product.

schlemer
aka - Mike PT1911

1 - 16 of 16 Posts