Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hrm, so, I've been carrying my 140MilPro for a bit, and, the safety switch is rusting! :(

It's kinda odd, however. The takedown pin, and, slide release aren't rusting, nor is the slide, or the lock. Just the safety switch...

I mean, it comes off OK (I clean about twice a week, but, I carry about 10 hours a day in a NASTY environment...)

Is there anything I can do, to keep this from happening?

I carry IWB, and, since I can't find my camera, here's the only pic I can find of my rig :p

It's a bulldog nylon rig... I've had leathers, and other nice rigs... nothing's been as easy or comfortable, particularly in the hot environment I have to work in...

Anyhow, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I heard about this happing quite often especially those who carry in harsh environments, the only thing I have heard that will offer damn good protection is a duracoat finish. They do have self kits for this some involve baking others do not, or you can send you gun in and have it done that way. They do have clear coat finishes availible, these finishes are permanent I believe. If you do decide to do this your Taurus warrenty will become void just to let you know http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/ or if you do not feel like going this route you could just get some gun care products to help you out. You mentioned you have IWB holster is your safty touching anypart of you that sweats? Basically sweat is salty water, that is very corrosive. That could be the reason that the only part thats rusting is the safty switch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe try and find an IWB holster with a sweatguard or something similar.
I use BreakFree LP (not CLP) to protect my 140 from sweat. Never seen any rust on mine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, it's probably just my own feeling and has no scientific proof at all, but I think that a product that cleans and lubricates is an oxymoron. I would think that if it cleans then it will clean the protectant off also, but again it's just my personal opinion. Plus I have found that the LP works wonders for the parked finish on some of my firearms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same problem but not only on the safety but also on the magazine release. Now I know the mag release isn't touching anything sweaty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
03Shadowbob said:
Well, it's probably just my own feeling and has no scientific proof at all, but I think that a product that cleans and lubricates is an oxymoron. I would think that if it cleans then it will clean the protectant off also, but again it's just my personal opinion. Plus I have found that the LP works wonders for the parked finish on some of my firearms.
:) I honestly have a lot of respect for folks like you. You have a hunch about something and seems to work for you but you just lay it out there that you're dont really know. Too many folks these days just dig their heels in. I appreciate your honesty :)

I use break free CLP. It does amazing things. Since my gun has a poly frame though I use it and immediately clean it off and use regular oil on the moving parts of the frame. I've had no problems at all and for the first few months i checked lubrication regularly because i had the same fears you described. It doesnt makes sense to me either, but I'm not a chemist. It seems to work well. I actually have a few friends now using Break Free as well. It seems to be a great product and the spray can lets me make sure I have good penetration where I want it.

it boggles my knoggin too on how it can clean and lube. :)

what is it they say? if it's stupid and it works....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I once had a guy who was either a breakfree rep or a chemist tell me how CLP works and isn't bad for the gun but I who knows? I guess I am too hard-headed or just want to be different ;D.
No doubt is does work because hundreds of thousands of CLP users can't be wrong or else we'd all hear about it for sure.
On a slightly different note, one thing I started using on my guns including the 140MilPro is Hoppes gun grease for the slide and rails. That stuff is great and has made the action so much smoother. If you haven't tried it, you may want to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
03Shadowbob said:
On a slightly different note, one thing I started using on my guns including the 140MilPro is Hoppes gun grease for the slide and rails. That stuff is great and has made the action so much smoother. If you haven't tried it, you may want to.
*perk* really? *taking notes*

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
For what its worth, I wipe my pistols down with a very light, and I mean very light film of WD40 after cleaning. I carry in the waist band and the safety rides against my muscular body(grin). I've had no rust problems. Been doing this for 35+ years. By the way WD stands for water displacement. :loco:

·
Registered
13 Posts
For 10 years I have used a product called "Rustpruf". It is made somewhere in Wisconsin and it is the finest rust stopper I have ever used. I ordered it at a local gun store. I started using it after seeing a local PD range master using it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Smokewagon said:
For what its worth, I wipe my pistols down with a very light, and I mean very light film of WD40 after cleaning. I carry in the waist band and the safety rides against my muscular body(grin). I've had no rust problems. Been doing this for 35+ years. By the way WD stands for water displacement. :loco:
and the 40 is the 40th formula they tried... saw a show on lubricants the other day :) (stop laughing, not those kinds of lubricants)

·
Registered
178 Posts
140ProCarry,

I used to have the same problem, along with rust forming on the slide, in the grip grooves, directly behind the thumb safety. I keep a silicone impregnated cloth, that I buy from Wilson Combat(there are others as well), in my gun box and decided to clean the rust off and try wiping it down with the silicone cloth. I have not had any more problems since, with rust. As a matter of fact I wipe the whole slide down with the cloth.

tex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts