Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been carrying my brand new PT111 on a belly band from the get go for the past eleven days only. I have been noticing some brown spots on the slide that are somewhat hard to wipe off.

These spots are on the left side of the slide, the side that touches my body when I carry appendix. Mind you that the highest it's gotten around here is 70 degrees. I don't really sweat too much. Would these spots really be rust from perspiration?

How can I treat this and prevent it from happening? If it is rust I'm surprised it may be showing after not even two weeks of carrying.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
22,036 Posts
Pictures would be helpful, but unless the slide is rubbing up against some metal of a similar color, I don't know what else it could be.

Even if you don't think you're sweating, you might be enjoying the benefits of rapid evaporation. Which still puts a lot of salt in the area.

Try rubbing it down with an oiled cotton cloth. If the stains go away, either get a carry device with a sweat shield, or give the slide daily rubdowns with a silicone infused cloth. If they don't, then maybe it's not rust. Again, hard to say without seeing it in person or at least seeing photos.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hello all,
I've been carrying my brand new PT111 on a belly band from the get go for the past eleven days only. I have been noticing some brown spots on the slide that are somewhat hard to wipe off.

These spots are on the left side of the slide, the side that touches my body when I carry appendix. Mind you that the highest it's gotten around here is 70 degrees. I don't really sweat too much. Would these spots really be rust from perspiration?

How can I treat this and prevent it from happening? If it is rust I'm surprised it may be showing after not even two weeks of carrying.

Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome from Texas! Try steel wool super fine grade #0000 (which you can get from Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, hardware stores) and your favorite gun oil to remove the brown spots. Remember to wipe down the carry gun with gun oil at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It is beyond me why Taurus puts such a thin finish on a fine gun. It seems they put a harder more durable finish on the magazines. I believe the Taurus finishing was better 20 years ago than today for some reason.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You could try some waterproofing on the belly band.
You probably don't want to put too much slick stuff on the gun, might be hard to rack the slide.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Maybe a IWB holster with a sweat guard. If you are going to carry long term the problem is just going to get worse unless something changes.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Frog Lube on slide exterior works for me. It also is good for removing / preventing rust spots. Another suggestion is using a Remora holster with full sweat shield if you can integrate one into the belly band. I'd also suggest wiping down daily with silicone cloth.

I swapped a 709 SS slide for a black with a good customer. His had some bad rust spots - they cleaned up good with Frog Lube and #0000 steel wool and have not returned.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How can I treat this and prevent it from happening?
Permanently? Have the slide treated with a Melonite finish, Cerakote, Gunkote, etc. If that is not an option, remove the rust via the aforementioned #0000 steel wool and gun oil/cleaner of your choice. But remember that there is no finish on that specific spot so daily oiling or silicone cloth treatment would be necessary on exposed weapon-grade steel when in humid/salty environments...such as your pants, sir. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wear a t-shirt tucked in, between your skin and the slide?

I can't wear watches made from any kind of steel or medal unless it is stainless steel for the same reason. Apparently my skin is caustic and eats away at whatever cheap finish is on the medal, then goes to work on eating away at the medal, itself.

I've just stopped wearing watches and do what the kids do now: look at my cell phone for the time.

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
rusting from sweat is largely a question of personal chemistry. Not much you can do if you suffer from acid sweat.

I do recommend G-96 gun treatment. (And stainless steel)

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Sweat will rust a pistol fast ..... If you want this problem fixed ..... I suggest CCR refinishing .. Great professional family business .. I have been to there shop .. Great service .. Great prices !!!

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

Cera-Hide Is what chose with my Glocks .. My 19 has been carried often .. Fired often .. No noticable wear .. None

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Doesn't take much moisture in the air to cause that. I left my Marlin 30/30 in the truck overnight and the whole thing looked like that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts