Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without nav lights either, and is a potential hazard to shipping. :confused: It's counterproductive for a spy ship to draw attention to themselves like that. Makes me wonder if they are even communicating with their own navy.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/12/19/russian-spy-ship-sailing-floridas-shore-draws-close-watch-us.html

Viktor Leonov also has been spotted sailing off the coast of South Carolina in recent days. The ship’s actions were deemed unsafe because it wasn’t running lights in low-visibility weather and wasn’t replying to hails from commercial vessels that were trying to help prevent any collision, according to CNN, which cited information from two U.S. officials.

The Viktor Leonov has been seen before off the United States coast, and it also routinely operates in the Caribbean, including Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago. But there is something unexpected in the Viktor Leonov’s case this time, one expert said. “What’s unusual about this is it’s not putting on their lights when they ought to, and not communicating with nearby vessels about their location," said Benjamin Friedman, policy director at Defense Priorities, a foreign policy organization. “The Russian ship seems to be endangering other ships in the area and maybe even themselves. That’s the takeaway point.”

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hollywood filming The Hunt for Red October 2

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm sure it is being watched VERY closely.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A lot of ships have been lost in the Bermuda triangle. Just say'n
Except in this case the ship isn't lost. The big question is about the crew. I can't find out from any news sources if anyone is actually controlling the ship, since modern ships have autopilots like planes do. I can't find any recent pictures yet of the ship with any crew members on desk, although those pics are probably out there.

Just saw this CNN video link, where a Russian naval expert says the actions are intentional and designed to intimidate. Except that they were being shadowed at one point by a US destroyer. Also they might rethink their intimidation techniques if some massive cargo ship or supertanker accidentally runs into them, and any survivors have to be rescued by the US coast guard.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
They probably had a little too much vodka and are sleeping it off.

They'll wake up and steer straight eventually.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Makes one wonder if there hasn't been some type of catastrophe on board, such as a total crew poisoning or other such malady.
Then again, I don't think I would want to board that ship to find out there may be a radiation leak or other such problem that could jeopardize my life.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
^^^ You just beat me to that thought about radiation poisoning.

·
Registered
18,483 Posts
The ship's on auto, the crew's all gathered around a tv and watchin' coverage of the unpeachment proceedings. They weren't here for the Bolsheviks so for them, it's like a trip back in time.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
So? You don't think there is a U S submarine or 3 in the vicinity? I'll bet they have "proof of life" pictures.

·
21,940 Posts
Then again, I don't think I would want to board that ship to find out there may be a radiation leak or other such problem that could jeopardize my life.
If that were the issue, you could spend $30 on eBay and get an instrument that would let you know long before you got close enough to board or incur any real health risk.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Except in this case the ship isn't lost. The big question is about the crew. I can't find out from any news sources if anyone is actually controlling the ship, since modern ships have autopilots like planes do. I can't find any recent pictures yet of the ship with any crew members on desk, although those pics are probably out there.

Just saw this CNN video link, where a Russian naval expert says the actions are intentional and designed to intimidate. Except that they were being shadowed at one point by a US destroyer. Also they might rethink their intimidation techniques if some massive cargo ship or supertanker accidentally runs into them, and any survivors have to be rescued by the US coast guard.
A real example of naval intimidation,

CVW-11-USS-Nimitz-Aircraft-Carrier-2.jpg CVW-11-USS-Nimitz-Aircraft-Carrier-2.jpg

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
If it's blocking shipping lanes or within US territorial waters, we can have coasties board her to check for a variety of things. I think they call them safety inspections.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
If it's blocking shipping lanes or within US territorial waters, we can have coasties board her to check for a variety of things. I think they call them safety inspections.
Hey, hey, now! If the thing is glowing green, humming with radiation, and manned by a zombie crew why ya' throwin' us Coasties out there to actually board the thing!? As a highly trained US Coast Guardsman I can very easily stand on the bridge with binox at 300 yards make an on site assessment whether it is safe or not to board!! Semper Paratus!!

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
Hey, hey, now! If the thing is glowing green, humming with radiation, and manned by a zombie crew why ya' throwin' us Coasties out there to actually board the thing!? As a highly trained US Coast Guardsman I can very easily stand on the bridge with binox at 300 yards make an on site assessment whether it is safe or not to board!! Semper Paratus!!

Well if your guys aren't up for it.... I imagine we could get the marines to check it out.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
18,483 Posts
Their lights are on but they're in Russian...:dunno:...ya' can't see 'em in English.

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I vote for the "Vodka theory". but this close to the mainlad, they can pick up tv. Tey're bingewatching Roadrunner cartoon reruns.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I've read the encrypted data correctly, they are searching for a lost Russian submarine, captained by Marcus Ramos. 😺

1 - 20 of 25 Posts