Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like feedback from the esteemed members ... is the steel-case (or whatever is available) Russian rifle ammo okay? I've heard to avoid it but also heard it's not too bad.

your thoughts/experiences?

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
I have shot Tulammo, Wolf Military Classic, and Brown Bear in 7.62 x 39, 9mm, and .45 acp.

They all shot just fine and were not dirtier than WWB from Wally World.

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I use steel cased ammunition in my AKs but I make sure I clean them after I do. It is both dirty
and can be corrosive depending on the manufactuer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's dirty but it's fine. Some ARs don't like it but that's about it.
I've never had a problem with it granted its dirty but i clean my firearms religiously, and in my experience the AR's that don't like it are usually a result of a timing issue with the AR and not a problem with the ammo.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
No problems with it and I shoot it in my SKS, AKM, Czech Vz2008/Vz58, Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Some guns eat anything and everything, some guns won't run on anything but brass while others do better with steel cases. My Hi-Point 995, Mosin-Nagant, AK-47 and Radom P64 eat steel case ammo with no problems at all. All you really have to look out for is surplus ammo, which tends to be corrosive. Rinse out the action and barrel with Windex, or a solution of ammonia and water to get the salts out. Dry everything and clean as you normally would and you should be just fine.

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
At times the whole "steel cased" ammo debates take on a "Ford vs. Chevy" flavor.

Bottom line is "some" brands tend to be a bit dirtier burning but do not hurt your firearm regardless of the nay sayers.

If it were true, then those horrible built POS Russian firearms they whine about must in fact be "better" than the precision built US counterparts. The Russians, and their minons formarly behind the iron curtan, have been using it for over 70 years without a problem.

I've not had any problem either. But then I'm an Old Fart that always rubs the mall ninjas and sidewalk commandos the wrong way.

If one doesn't like mayo on his sandwich or steel case ammo go for it. Just don't forget to give Hornady a call, cuz they're producing match ammo in steel cases now too. :icon_ poke:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I run it in my AK and it does great. Pretty good out of my Sig too. Now my ARs are a different story. One will eat it all day long but one won't.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
The test was done with AR15 Rifles and the barrels were in bad shape after 6000 rounds of the projectile used in Russian ammo.

I wonder if a chrome lined AK barrel would hold up better as it was designed for it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
No problem with me using any Eastern Bloc Ammo Surplus, I just clean my guns after from range...

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
We can now add my Taurus PT-92 to the list of eating steel cased ammo like a tiger eats..... whatever it wants. Now that I'm awake again I can actually type up my range report from Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I won't use Russian 9x18 anymore in my PA-63. Russian ammo is known to be out of spec sometimes (varying QC) and blow out extractors in some pistols. This was known by Nikolay Makarov when he designed his pistol. Just check out an extractor on his namesake pistol sometime. And as extractors are very hard to find for 63's, I stick to brass ammo like Prvi and Fiocchi. It's a bummer as one of the allures of 9x18 pistols is the cheap Russian ammo. I'm sure it's fine in some guns.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Steel case can be a little hard on extractors in some guns. That said when you talk about a reduce life of say 10,000 rounds to 9500 rounds is it really that much of a problem?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts