Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allegedly a Taurus rep at the SHOT show hinted that there is a .223 pistol and a copy of the Broomhandle Mauser in the works. How tremendous would it be to own a NEW copy of a C96 in various calibers - hello .45! Add in a lifetime warranty and I'm in!

Anyone else here this - the alleged rep is Bob Morrison. Any one else hear this?

·
32,808 Posts
This comes up at the forums quite frequently and has no hard data to back it up.
The Broomhandle is labor and machining intensive to the point that they will not be recreated without the price being prohibitive if it could be done. All the jigs and tooling would have to be resurrected as well.Where are they going to find those?

The metalurgy is all different as well. That has been documented is several magazines, tactical journals, and weapons collector books. Safety with these was also an issue. There were too many ways to have Negligent discharges with them. There also has to be a market for these as well. When research was done, there was no broad base for it or even a good reason to build such thing. Even the local gunshow sellers in this area have noticed that collectors are becoming more scarce than in years past.

The design is inefficient compared to modern day pistols as well as older other ones. For those who have the Mauser pistols,enjoy shooting or collecting them. It would make no more sense to make these again as it would to make Colt 1903 or Savage 1907 pistols again. They were decent in their day, but times, need, and workmanship have passed them by. So verify and clarify what you hear folks. Saves a lot of anguish and tomfoolery.

As for the .223 pistol. There just isn't that big a market for it. Taurus would have to stop profitable assembly to make way for this and they are already stretched out as it is. Spending money for R&D, then designing, tooling up and buying machinery for a gun that has little possible future has not been Taurus' way of doing things. One would have to sell hundreds of thousands of these purported.223 pistols to break even. They have no history of building centerfire rifles in .223 NATO, that could translate into a pistol design like other companies who do. This is not a slam against .223 caliber pistols. It's just that the niche they fill and tactical limitations leave very little room for justification to build them in the first place. Carbines and rifles do a better job. That's what is called for if one knows that they are going into a war zone or area firefights are possible. They are easier to shoot and hit with as well as have better downrange ballistics. Even from a 14 to 16 inch barrel that are all the rage these days. The .223 NATO round does much better in stopping aggressors with the longer 20 and 18 inch barrels than it does in the carbines or shorter barreled pistols.A pistol or revolver cartridge carbine alone, with a stock that one can securely shoulder, will be easier to hit a target more consistently with than a rifle caliber pistol. This has been documented time and time again in tactical, police, and military journals. Less noise and recoil is much simpler to deal with than a short barreled pistol made for a rifle cartridge. For those who shoot the pistol that has a rifle cartridge and like them, go for it. For fun they would be hard to be beat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree completely on the complexity. I took mine to the range this weekend and stripped it down to clean it after. It certainly ranks up there as the most complex pistol (maybe even any firearm) that I have worked on. I can only imagine what your average user would say when they tried to strip it.

But who knows, maybe they did research and found it to be a worthwhile investment, or even found a way to simplify the innards. Just saying it would be a pretty amazing pistol and would definitely catch the attention of the press.

As for 'their time has passed', one could say the same thing for SAA Colts and any Blackpowder revolvers. The LeMat is a monstrous pistol with a small shotgun barrel underneath. Not practical at all - yet that is available.

But you're right on hard facts, I saw one mention of it and that was it - I have nothing to back it up and was just hoping to hear someone back it up. Oh well.

·
32,808 Posts
The engineers for many of the companies have said these Mausers are too complex and expensive to build brand new.No way to change the fit, function, or to re-engineer the parts. American Handgunner and a number of Surplus Firearms magazines had this in them in over the past few years. Sorry. Nice pistol and a fun one of a kind shooter. Enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.