Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Here's the link to the page on Ruger's site: http://ruger.com/SR9/ Neither of these pages are dial-up friendly...

At first glance it appears like a variation on their P345 but I'm still digging through the info. It appears to be optimized for higher speeds than cheap DSL...

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
"Ruger's answer to the Glock" as I read somewhere. It's available now for $525 retail and the lowest I've seen it is $499 at GunsAmerica.com---I'd wait for some reviews by the "experts" and until the price comes down some. For $500 I can think of a lot of pistols I could buy instead of a new, unproven one. I love Ruger but I'll wait on this one.

Polymer Frame
Slim Profile
Striker-fired
1911-position manual safety
Fits in Glock holster

Models: SR9 (17+1 capacity) SR9-10 (10+1 capacity)
Price: US$525 for both models

Features:

Weighs 26.5 oz., in a package of just 5.52″ H x 7.55″ L x 1.27″ W
Reliable, striker-fired ignition
Easy, “Semi-Double Action” trigger-pull - 6.5 pounds.
17+1 Capacity. (Note: 17-round magazines are not available in all states and locales; 10-round magazines are available where required to meet state and local regulations limiting magazine capacity.)
Chambered in 9mm Parabellum (9mm x 19).
Short trigger reach.
Unique reversible backstrap (flat or arched) to accommodate grip preferences.
Slim, ergonomic grip features a 17-degree grip angle and three, 22 lpi checkered panels that provide a sure grip without being abrasive.
Patented Ruger camblock helps absorb recoil.
High-visibility 3-dot sight system is click adjustable for elevation and drift adjustable for windage.
Picatinny rail accepts modern sighting devices (lights, lasers, etc.).
Ultra-slim stainless steel slide.
Ambidextrous magazine release.
Ambidextrous 1911-style manual safety.
Internal trigger bar interlock and striker blocker, trigger safety, and magazine disconnect.
Visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator.
Suggested retail price of just $525, including hard case, extra magazine, magazine loader, padlock, and instruction manual.

The Ruger site is just EXTREMELY slow right now---I have the fastest cable connection possible and it is still taking forever to load---just tons of traffic or they are updating it. Remember this firearm was just released this morning.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It looks okay, will be interesting to see if it takes off as the market is somewhat saturated in this particular niche; IMHO.

·
32,585 Posts
Like any new gun design waiting a year or until the thing is debugged is general good advice.

Like others, I'll take a wait and see approach until more is known and this is a known quantity.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Looks neat but unless Ruger is changing their Marketing/Support direction I doubt it will be a huge success with the market saturation.

Regardless, I won't buy one as I don't want a magzine safety.

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I agree Jkwas, it looks a little MilPro'ish to me too.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
From pics I've seen the fit and finish look darn good (Ruger is known for that). And that's the finest checkering I've seen on a polymer pistol yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks like pretty low bore axis also, which I personally like.
Me, I can't stand Ruger semi-autos. They don't do a whole lot for me aesthetically and this one is no different. When I heard Ruger was coming out with a new pistol I was very interested to see if they would break the mold and come up with something different than everyone else, but it seems they are still riding the coat tails of other manufacturers.
I love their revolvers though!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Well if the recoils springs don't shoot out the front and the mags work, I'll buy one.
Now thats asking quite a bit don't you think? ;D

Steelheart

·
Registered
128 Posts
At that price I would want a .45 so I'm not biting on this one and will wait for either a larger caliber version or a short barrel version.

NYPD in AZ said:
"Ruger's answer to the Glock" as I read somewhere. It's available now for $525 retail and the lowest I've seen it is $499 at GunsAmerica.com---I'd wait for some reviews by the "experts" and until the price comes down some. For $500 I can think of a lot of pistols I could buy instead of a new, unproven one. I love Ruger but I'll wait on this one.

Polymer Frame
Slim Profile
Striker-fired
1911-position manual safety
Fits in Glock holster

Models: SR9 (17+1 capacity) SR9-10 (10+1 capacity)
Price: US$525 for both models

Features:

Weighs 26.5 oz., in a package of just 5.52″ H x 7.55″ L x 1.27″ W
Reliable, striker-fired ignition
Easy, “Semi-Double Action” trigger-pull - 6.5 pounds.
17+1 Capacity. (Note: 17-round magazines are not available in all states and locales; 10-round magazines are available where required to meet state and local regulations limiting magazine capacity.)
Chambered in 9mm Parabellum (9mm x 19).
Short trigger reach.
Unique reversible backstrap (flat or arched) to accommodate grip preferences.
Slim, ergonomic grip features a 17-degree grip angle and three, 22 lpi checkered panels that provide a sure grip without being abrasive.
Patented Ruger camblock helps absorb recoil.
High-visibility 3-dot sight system is click adjustable for elevation and drift adjustable for windage.
Picatinny rail accepts modern sighting devices (lights, lasers, etc.).
Ultra-slim stainless steel slide.
Ambidextrous magazine release.
Ambidextrous 1911-style manual safety.
Internal trigger bar interlock and striker blocker, trigger safety, and magazine disconnect.
Visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator.
Suggested retail price of just $525, including hard case, extra magazine, magazine loader, padlock, and instruction manual.

The Ruger site is just EXTREMELY slow right now---I have the fastest cable connection possible and it is still taking forever to load---just tons of traffic or they are updating it. Remember this firearm was just released this morning.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The SR9 looks very similar to their P345 so that might be worth a look to you.

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
A new owner on another board posted his pics of his NIB SR9.
One thing I'm pleased about is Ruger relocating the safety from the slide to the frame. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've fondled one at my local FLGS (they got four of the first 500). It felt balanced well, but I really don't like single strike only, striker-fired firearms (I've never been a glock fan). For the money, I've got several other choices that I want first (among them - the Judge).

Seemed nice, but just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The thing that will kill or make this gun is its trigger. If the trigger is good (less than 8-10 lbs and not too gritty) then it has a chance; if not it will go the way of the Sigma. For my money it's not worth a dime over $400 either way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is this the only current pistol that Ruger sells with hi-cap mags? Not to re-open the old wounds about how they went to the 10-round only mags...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts