Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a couple of gun shops today and I guess no one in the gun business in this town knows how good Taurus is because they didn't have any.. But they did have a Ruger SR9 for $395 that was nice and it fit my hand really well and I liked how the grip felt but it was a little heavy with the mag in it. I also looked at the Ruger P95 and I love that one a lot it was almost a perfect fit but they only had it in a stainless/chromed finish that was a custom job and it was a little more expensive at $468. then I saw a S&W SD9 it was a close match in size and weight to the PT809 and IMO kinda looked like a Taurus although it was D/A only and didn't have some of the finer innovative options that the PT809 offers, but heck it was a great price at $308 and came with 2 mags one 12rd one and an extended one with 15rds and a Fobus OWB holster and the woman said she'd throw in 100 rds of federal 9mm ammo, not sure what grain she meant, but sounds like an awesome deal. All the online places that offer the PT809 were all pretty close in price around $330 and some came with extras and free shipping, but the FFL here charges $15 regardless of anything, but hey that's not bad. So I have a lot of choices but I am not sure which one should be my first purchase.. Any input is appreciated, I am not in a major rush, except on the S&W SD9 I am not sure how long she will keep that deal around, I mean someone would have to be a dunce to pass that up, or am I wrong?

Rob

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
308 is a steel for the SD9 that's about 100 less then what they usually go for from what I've seen.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I think all 3 are good guns and would be lots of fun at the range.

The price on the P95 is way too high though. Doing a "custom job" on a $300 gun makes no sense to me.

I would buy any of them new, at the typical sale price.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I used to have a P95, and I found it to be a good firearm. The new ones are even better because Ruger has added texturing to the poly frame.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I like the SR9. Striker fire, great trigger, adjustable sights, well balanced, feels good in the hand, solid warranty, very reliable, well built; solid. These guns will go toe to toe with any striker fire out there from Glock to XD. They are about $100 less than the competition for this type of weapon. I prefer striker fire to SA/DA in semi auto, consistent trigger from the first pull.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It it new or used?? If it's new I'd snap it up. They're going for around $460 near me. Once you get used to how it comes apart the SR series is a real joy to own and shoot.
No its brand new and comes with a holster and extra mag..

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
That's a hell of a deal on the SR9 then if it has 3 mags and a holster to.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I don't know about the SD9, but I've been lovin' me some Ruger all the way through the P series, starting with the P85 pistol, and I currently carry the SR9C. Since you ask about "RANGE" guns, IMHO, none of the 3 mentioned are good candidates. I would suggest the PT-92/99. As I understand the meaning of the word, my range guns get the most trigger time, so I want them to be the most like my daily carry. Also, a longer barrel makes a more accurate 'range' gun. So for those reasons, the the 2 Rugers are OUT. You've mentioned in other posts, that you have or soon will have, the PT809, so the P95 has an opposite functioning safety lever than the 809, and SR9 is a shorter barrel. Also, a 92/99 will not only have the same safety, but also decock function. IMHO, YMMV. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A new Ruger P-95 has an MSRP of $399-$429. The P-95 is a work horse. I've had mine for a lot of years. Range distances I have used it at are up to 25 meters/yards. I find it very comfortable to shoot. But $468 for a "custom" job. Get a new one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know about the SD9, but I've been lovin' me some Ruger all the way through the P series, starting with the P85 pistol, and I currently carry the SR9C. Since you ask about "RANGE" guns, IMHO, none of the 3 mentioned are good candidates. I would suggest the PT-92/99. As I understand the meaning of the word, my range guns get the most trigger time, so I want them to be the most like my daily carry. Also, a longer barrel makes a more accurate 'range' gun. So for those reasons, the the 2 Rugers are OUT. You've mentioned in other posts, that you have or soon will have, the PT809, so the P95 has an opposite functioning safety lever than the 809, and SR9 is a shorter barrel. Also, a 92/99 will not only have the same safety, but also decock function. IMHO, YMMV. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Well your right the gun I get to train with at the range will probably be my EDC. I was thinking that the 4" barrel would be best for me to start with, but the only ones I have actually felt in my hands lately are the Ruger P95, Ruger SR9 and the S&W SD9 and the Rugers felt the best in my hand actually better than any other ones I have held before and yeah it does have different style controls on it than the PT809, and a slightly shorter barrel, but I spose that when I get a chance to hold one of those 809's I could better make up my mind, I am having to save up for any gun purchase I make so good deals keep passing me up and its getting frustrating.... I am actually the only one I know that doesn't have one yet..

·
32,481 Posts
What I like about the SR9 besides it being an excellent gun is that the backstrap can be changed to fit the user. Just switch the one that is already on the gun if the flat back is facing out. The other side of the grip is of a curved design to fit larger hands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts