·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger SR9 Recall

http://ruger.com/Firearms/N-Firearms_News.html#

Ruger® Issues Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice of SR9™ Pistol

April 9, 2008

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE:RGR), announces that it has determined that Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position and a round in the chamber. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

As a responsible manufacturer, we want to make our customers aware of this safety concern as soon as possible. Ruger is finalizing the design of a new trigger group which prevents firing when dropped and will retrofit at no charge all Ruger SR9 pistols with serial number prefix "330" (330-xxxxx).

SR9 owners can obtain information or register for the recall by:

• Visiting the Ruger website at: www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/
• E-mail: [email protected]
• Fax: 928-541-8873
• Calling the Ruger SR9 Recall Hotline at 800-784-3701 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EDT.

When Ruger is ready to retrofit a consumer's pistol, Ruger will send a shipping box, label and instructions for the FREE return of the SR9 pistol to our factory in Prescott, Arizona. Work will be completed promptly at no charge to the consumer and the pistol will be returned at Ruger expense. All owners will receive a FREE SR9 magazine as a "thank you" for their patience and cooperation.

All owners of Ruger SR9 pistols are urged not to use their pistol until it has been retrofitted with these new factory parts. If owners must use their SR9 pistol, the manual safety should be kept in the "on" or "safe" position except when actually firing.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
This is why it's a good thing to wait a year when a new product hits the market.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
But at least Ruger is making good on it's "oops". As you recall all those people who bought VW bugs just get their car fixed so it doesn't catch on fire. Ruger is throwing in an extra mag for your troubles and paying the shipping. Yeah it sucks that your gun has a defect but, Ruger is going to take care of it. That's why they are still around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I almost bought one of those instead of my 24/7. Kind of makes me glad I didn't since that was going to be my carry gun.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It's not a serious defect in regards to firearms. A serious defect is if the gun fires when you close the slide on a live round or or fires by just taking off the safety. A really serious defect is if it blows up when you pull the trigger. When you look at it from that perspective firing when dropped is low on you list of priorities. Also it was only recently that gunmakers began designing that feature in their guns. Any older pistols have the chance of a discharge if you drop them, engineers were simply not thinking of that scenario and it was only thought of after the lawyers got involved. Take Rugers old blackhawk revolver, when it first came out in the 50's they weren't even thinking about that type of accidental discharge at the time. But when they finally did Ruger came up with a way to fix the problem and with their money they offered to take everyone's blackhawk and modify it for free. Their customer service hasn't changed much since then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts