Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting today with a fairly new Ruger SR22. I had half a dozen magazines. I was using Federal match ammo and CCI Mini-Mags. The CCI worked perfectly, but the Federal stuff had frequent failure to extract/failure to feed issues. When the empty did not extract, it wasn't jammed in, and came out when I racked the slide. There were good marks on the rim indicating the extractor engaged it.

I'm wondering if it is just the ammo. The Federal stuff tends to be a bit underpowered, but the SR22 doesn't exactly require a massive force to cycle. Also, all the ammo was purchased during the recent shortage and I have found manufacturing during that time frame was somewhat spotty by some makers. I did clean the pistol prior to firing as is my routine. Cleaning showed no defects, and I compared it to an identical pistol to make sure I was missing nothing. I'll give it another try next range trip. Any input is welcome.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You may have gotten some under powered ammo, my SR 22 shoots everything I feed it without exception. I shoot everything from suppressed to hyper velocity.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
If you got Federal automatch, that's your problem. That stuff is only reliable in a revolver in my experience.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
people complain about the Remington golden bullets but IMO Federal 22lr ammo is the worst

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Auto match feeds fine in my SR22, but they may have changed the load since I last bought some or you might just have gotten a bad box. The stuff that works best function AND accuracy in MY SR22 is Federal Champion 550 bulk pack or Remington Golden Bullet. Both are fantastic in that particular gun.

There are few absolutes in rimfires, they all seem to like something different. And, I don't mean by that different brand guns, but different individual guns even of the same brand and model. The ammo my SR22 can't hang with is Winchester 333 bulk ammo. Stuff is loaded REAL weak. The Automatch functions in my SR22, but it's not that accurate, so I tend to shoot Federal Champion Bulk or Remington Golden Bullet in the gun. They will both shoot 2" groups at 25 yards which seems to be the best the gun will do, which ain't bad for a gun small enough to fit in my pocket. :D I've had mine in my pocket all day, took it when I went out back to check the hog trap and dump feed in one of the feeders. I've taken out more'n one cottonmouth with it, no shot loads, just the Champions. It will take out a snake just fine. :D

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
It's the ammo. I've had the same problem with the Auto Match in my SR-22's, M&P .22's and even my NEOS's. The one gun which shoots it consistently is my Ruger MK 4 Hunter. I have about 15,000 rounds remaining in my stock, which I use for my Shooting Sports club. Here's my somewhat experienced opinion. It's a high velocity round (1250fps). Consequently, it's loaded a little hotter than the standard velocity ammo. I can't prove this, but I suspect the neck of the case is either slightly larger in diameter, or the brass is slightly thinner than other ammo. When the round is fired, the throat of the case expands slightly and "locks" itself in the chamber. This is especially true when the chamber is hot - after firing several rounds. I've not had problems with any other ammo - Federal and otherwise. I am now using the Auto Match in rifles only. I've not experienced the problem with the CCI standard velocity. I get a lot of rim fire ammo through the Federal Youth Shooting Sports program, so have a lot of Federal .22 ammo, and go through probably 800 rounds in a 2 hour shooting session with my kids. The only stuff that has consistently failed to eject is the Auto Match. I've calipered the throat before and after and there is about a .0025" difference. That's over an average of about 100 rounds. My research is totally unscientific and is based upon some degree of speculation. I've contacted Federal and they assure me that my research is in err. However, my empirical research shows otherwise. And I've not compared the Auto Match to the other ammo.(The before and after measurements) Nor do I intend to do so. I know what works and doesn't, and that's good enough for my purposes.

One thing I've do to mitigate some of the problem is to make sure that I clean the guns after every session and pay particular attention to the chamber of the barrel. Any buildup in that area will exacerbate the problem.

The Federal ammo, in my opinion, is about the best on the market, and I think that the Auto Match might just be a little hot for short to medium barrel .22 handguns. As I said, I've never had a problem with it in any of my rifles.

And for those who think that the Federal ammo is no good, it's as good or better than most of the .22 ammo I've used. What I find is that many of the problems blamed on ammo are really problems with maintenance. The .22 semi auto's rely on recoil (in most cases) to cycle. There's not a tremendous amount of extra "oomph) in such a diminutive round. Therefore anything interfering with the blowback or recoil can cause cycling problems. This is not confined to the gun itself, but also to the shooter - limp wristing, poor grip, etc. YMMV

Hope this helps a little.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
It's the ammo. I've had the same problem with the Auto Match in my SR-22's, M&P .22's and even my NEOS's. The one gun which shoots it consistently is my Ruger MK 4 Hunter. I have about 15,000 rounds remaining in my stock, which I use for my Shooting Sports club. Here's my somewhat experienced opinion. It's a high velocity round (1250fps). Consequently, it's loaded a little hotter than the standard velocity ammo. I can't prove this, but I suspect the neck of the case is either slightly larger in diameter, or the brass is slightly thinner than other ammo. When the round is fired, the throat of the case expands slightly and "locks" itself in the chamber. This is especially true when the chamber is hot - after firing several rounds. I've not had problems with any other ammo - Federal and otherwise. I am now using the Auto Match in rifles only. I've not experienced the problem with the CCI standard velocity. I get a lot of rim fire ammo through the Federal Youth Shooting Sports program, so have a lot of Federal .22 ammo, and go through probably 800 rounds in a 2 hour shooting session with my kids. The only stuff that has consistently failed to eject is the Auto Match. I've calipered the throat before and after and there is about a .0025" difference. That's over an average of about 100 rounds. My research is totally unscientific and is based upon some degree of speculation. I've contacted Federal and they assure me that my research is in err. However, my empirical research shows otherwise. And I've not compared the Auto Match to the other ammo.(The before and after measurements) Nor do I intend to do so. I know what works and doesn't, and that's good enough for my purposes.

One thing I've do to mitigate some of the problem is to make sure that I clean the guns after every session and pay particular attention to the chamber of the barrel. Any buildup in that area will exacerbate the problem.

The Federal ammo, in my opinion, is about the best on the market, and I think that the Auto Match might just be a little hot for short to medium barrel .22 handguns. As I said, I've never had a problem with it in any of my rifles.

And for those who think that the Federal ammo is no good, it's as good or better than most of the .22 ammo I've used. What I find is that many of the problems blamed on ammo are really problems with maintenance. The .22 semi auto's rely on recoil (in most cases) to cycle. There's not a tremendous amount of extra "oomph) in such a diminutive round. Therefore anything interfering with the blowback or recoil can cause cycling problems. This is not confined to the gun itself, but also to the shooter - limp wristing, poor grip, etc. YMMV

Hope this helps a little.
There it is!.............

·
Registered
32,258 Posts
I loved my SR-22 and in a moment of generosity gave it to my 26 year old son a couple of years ago.

One thing I learned early on with the SR 22 was to clean behind the extractor arm every 200 or so rounds.

Dirt or powder residue will build up under the extractor arm and keep the extractor hook from completely closing.

I never buy .22 ammo that isn't CCI Mini mags, Federal Champion Hollow Points or Remington Golden bullets. I'm not impressed at all with Winchester White box .22.

I do have a little Phoenix .22 that I feed standard velocity into and really like the Browning Standard velocity ammo, but never shoot standard velocity in any of my other .22 pistol or long guns.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
I clean my guns, including the extractor and face of the slide, after every use. I actually enjoy it and it's not a chore. Cleaning BP revolvers verges on a "chore", but the SR22 is nothing. :rofl: Also, verging on chore is when I decide to finally pull the bolt for cleaning on my Ruger Mk 2. But, that don't happen that often. I just lock the bolt back and clean what I can get at through the barrel and ejection port.

·
Registered
32,258 Posts
I clean my guns, including the extractor and face of the slide, after every use. I actually enjoy it and it's not a chore. Cleaning BP revolvers verges on a "chore", but the SR22 is nothing. :rofl: Also, verging on chore is when I decide to finally pull the bolt for cleaning on my Ruger Mk 2. But, that don't happen that often. I just lock the bolt back and clean what I can get at through the barrel and ejection port.
One of the reasons I bought my SR-22 was the ease of take down, and at first sign of extraction problems, could easily field strip the SR-22 at the range, use a pick to remove dirt or residue from under the extractor arm, maybe two minutes tops, and then go back to shooting.

Reactions: Mark40 and mingaa

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my SR-22 was the ease of take down, and at first sign of extraction problems, could easily field strip the SR-22 at the range, use a pick to remove dirt or residue from under the extractor arm, maybe two minutes tops, and then go back to shooting.
I'm thinkin' if I ever buy another new firearm, it'll be a Ruger Mk 4 for the same reason. Every time I pull the bolt on that Mk 2, I am that much closer to a Mk 4. :rofl: But, I won't get rid of the Mk 2, shoots too good. It makes me look like a good shot. :D With the red dot on it, it's almost cheating, though. I can hit my 6" gong target at will from 35 to 40 yards, more like 25 with the SR22 depending on how much coffee I've ingested. :D

Reactions: mingaa and jimb1972

·
Registered
32,258 Posts
I'm thinkin' if I ever buy another new firearm, it'll be a Ruger Mk 4 for the same reason. Every time I pull the bolt on that Mk 2, I am that much closer to a Mk 4. :rofl: But, I won't get rid of the Mk 2, shoots too good. It makes me look like a good shot. :D With the red dot on it, it's almost cheating, though. I can hit my 6" gong target at will from 35 to 40 yards, more like 25 with the SR22 depending on how much coffee I've ingested. :D
About the same experience I have between my Mark III/.45, except I can hit my 6" gong at 45-50 yards with it, and my 6" gong with the SR-22 at 30-40 yards! :) Hey, this is the internet, I can claim anything I want! ;)

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
If you do, you won't be sorry. I bought the MK4 about 6 or so months ago, and have put around 1500 rounds down range. Hell, I take it down even when I don't shoot it just to remind me how easy it is and how hard it was. Gotta tell you, the Mk4 has all the good things in the MK 1,2, and 3 and none of the bad things. I have the Hunter model with the 9" fluted barrel. Damn, I love that gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
If I get one, I'll want a rail on top of it for optics and the iron sights just because. I have a scope mount on the Mk 2 and no iron sights. I'll leave the red dot on it, probably, but I also have a 2x LER that came off that gun I bought with it as a used gun. I could put that scope in it to terrorize squirrels with such as I've done with the Mk 2. :D I do have a scoped 10" .22 caliber contender barrel for that, though, and it works rather well.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
If I get one, I'll want a rail on top of it for optics and the iron sights just because. I have a scope mount on the Mk 2 and no iron sights. I'll leave the red dot on it, probably, but I also have a 2x LER that came off that gun I bought with it as a used gun. I could put that scope in it to terrorize squirrels with such as I've done with the Mk 2. :D I do have a scoped 10" .22 caliber contender barrel for that, though, and it works rather well.
Not the actual gun I own, but a picture. I'm not crazy about the rear sight, but it's acceptable. Do like the FO front though. The MK 3 mags work in the MK 4. 2 and 1 don't. The grip is just a tad large for my hand, but again, acceptable.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Product

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
I loved my SR-22 and in a moment of generosity gave it to my 26 year old son a couple of years ago.

One thing I learned early on with the SR 22 was to clean behind the extractor arm every 200 or so rounds.

Dirt or powder residue will build up under the extractor arm and keep the extractor hook from completely closing.

I never buy .22 ammo that isn't CCI Mini mags, Federal Champion Hollow Points or Remington Golden bullets. I'm not impressed at all with Winchester White box .22.

I do have a little Phoenix .22 that I feed standard velocity into and really like the Browning Standard velocity ammo, but never shoot standard velocity in any of my other .22 pistol or long guns.
That PA should feed the Winchester 333 bulk. Mine does, only thing I can shoot it in besides revolvers. Turns out pretty accurate in that gun. But, I never shoot the thing. Have too many quality .22 pistols I'd rather spend time with. :D

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Good info, all. I'll check under the extractor hook to see if I missed that part.

Anyone know if Mark III 22/45 mags work in a Mark IV 22/44 pistol? Looks like a no, but....

·
Registered
32,258 Posts
That PA should feed the Winchester 333 bulk. Mine does, only thing I can shoot it in besides revolvers. Turns out pretty accurate in that gun. But, I never shoot the thing. Have too many quality .22 pistols I'd rather spend time with. :D
A very very old member in South Texas once recommended firing only standard velocity rounds in the little Phoenix Arms .22, and I took his advice so my Phoex Arms .22 would not break like his did, so I never tried anything else. My fascination with the PA .22 is the small size and how well I hit with it, plus the fact it has so far never had a hiccup. Also, considering the price point, it is no big deal if it gives up the ghost early.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts