Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are users experience with Ruger SP101 vs Taurus 617 vs S&W 686 snubnose in 357 Magnum for EDC.

i have a S&W Model 60 Pro but it is not recommended to fire a steady diet of 357 Magnum in it.

Any thoughts from users who own these?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a Ruger SP-101, and it was my first gun in 1991 when I turned 21.

It’s very heavy, the stock grips are horrible, and the trigger is the worst of the Ruger Line. I like the trigger of the GP100.

It only has 5 rounds.

I own a few S&W revolvers but never the 686. I have the S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot, have owned the 442, have the S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp 7 Shot 357 Magnum , 500 S&W in 4” and 6”, 629 3” and a Performance Center 629. The S&W is the best of the best. The 686 is a revolver I recommend for most people.

I have 6 Taurus revolvers. The Taurus Model 66 357 Magnum 7 shot is the closest to the 617 but mine is a 4”. I have had nothing but positive things to say about a Taurus revolver. Their trigger is close to a S&W. The finish isn’t perfect but I’m a shooter, not a collector.

The 617 is what I wanted but I acquired the 66 on a trade in town. I still would love to have a 617. 7 rounds for a small size. There aren’t too many revolvers that compact with a 7 round capacity.

If it’s for carrying, that is what I’d choose.

These are what I carry

S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum
S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot
Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

·
Registered
810 Posts
I and a lot of other folks opt for .38 Special +P when carrying a snubbie .357. Mine is currently a Taurus 605, which I like quite a bit.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I and a lot of other folks opt for .38 Special +P when carrying a snubbie .357. Mine is currently a Taurus 605, which I like quite a bit.
The Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum is a great revolver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the Ruger SP101 and the Taurus 617. Very different guns. 5 rounds versus 7. The Taurus is definitely prettier! I probably have more rounds through my 617 than any other gun I own. Wonderful shooter. I got the SP101 because it was a really good deal but honestly just haven't found a niche for it. For a pocket gun I vastly prefer the Ruger LCR which is so much lighter and has the XS Big Dot tritium front sight. The Taurus 617 is usually a weakside OWB carry gun for me. YMMV.

Comparing triggers between manufacturers is very difficult. They use different spring styles and thus "feel" very different. Sure, you can get trigger pull weights in DA or SA and compare hard numbers but that's only part of the story. Travel can be quantified, too. But stackability and grittiness are totally subjective. Smith guys like Smith triggers. Colt guys like Colt triggers. Et Cetera.

In the end you should try handling and shooting as many of them as possible. If you have a S&W 60 Pro and are used to it I would practice with lots of .38 and just run a cylinder load of .357 at the end of every range session to remind yourself of how it kicks with those. If you are absolutely set on "steady diet of full-house magnums" then the Ruger SP101 will tolerate it better than most any other 5-shot you can name but it will weight noticeably more on your belt.

·
32,528 Posts
I've got a Ruger, but it is in .327 Federal magnum. There are six shots versus 5 for the larger calibers. Buffalo Bore .32 H&R, +P (yes, there is no SAAMI +P designation for this caliber) which give me enough power and velocity to make the gun and cartridge relevant. There is a bit less recoil and noise to go with it. A great combo. Less recoil than a .357 magnum.

The Taurus 65 I have is a 2.5" barrel snub revolver. It carries easier than the 4" barrel models. It is a however bulkier than the Ruger SP-101.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a Ruger SP-101, and it was my first gun in 1991 when I turned 21.

It’s very heavy, the stock grips are horrible, and the trigger is the worst of the Ruger Line. I like the trigger of the GP100.

It only has 5 rounds.

I own a few S&W revolvers but never the 686. I have the S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot, have owned the 442, have the S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp 7 Shot 357 Magnum , 500 S&W in 4” and 6”, 629 3” and a Performance Center 629. The S&W is the best of the best. The 686 is a revolver I recommend for most people.

I have 6 Taurus revolvers. The Taurus Model 66 357 Magnum 7 shot is the closest to the 617 but mine is a 4”. I have had nothing but positive things to say about a Taurus revolver. Their trigger is close to a S&W. The finish isn’t perfect but I’m a shooter, not a collector.

The 617 is what I wanted but I acquired the 66 on a trade in town. I still would love to have a 617. 7 rounds for a small size. There aren’t too many revolvers that compact with a 7 round capacity.

If it’s for carrying, that is what I’d choose.

These are what I carry

S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum
S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot
Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum

Any time CDR_Glock makes a post about revolvers, you can bank on it. I do have the S&W 686 Plus 3" and for me it's the cream of the crop. Taurus 605 is definitely not a slouch but I'd have to go with the Kimber K6s as my second pick by a nose at the finish line and an extra round even though it wasn't listed in the OP.

Btw to the OP...what is your desired method of every day carry?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had the 617 for about 6 months now. I work it into my carry routine more often as of late. I did change out the grips for larger wood ones, which makes it more of an open carry by default. I like the size and weight, shoots great and goes bang everytime

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My own experience with two of the three (Ruger SP 101, S&W 686 snub nose), and others, is this:

SP 101: If you want, IMHO, the strongest 5 shot true .357 Magnum small framed revolver that can handle anything you want to throw at it as far as cartridges, this is the one to get. Yes, it has a trigger that needs some "refining" as far as springs and cleaning of mating srfaces, but for the most part it is the toughest small frame .357 magnum you can get. I also would recommend a Houge monogrip upgrade when you do the trigger job, and maybe an XS small dot sight while the gunsmith is working on it. My own, with the trigger work, an XS small dot sight, and the Houge monogrip improvements, is the sweetest OWB small frame carry pistol I have. I would not trade it for anything.

686: L frame S&W that is a distant second to my GP100 revolvers. Sorry, that "Hillary Hole" in the side is a constant reminder of what S&W did to gun owners in the 1990's. Also, I have seen quality control on Smiths going downhill recently to the point that I meticulously scrutinize every one I look at with a very fine tooth comb, and usually pass on them. As a carry piece, they are too heavy for what you get, IMHO. But, if you are outdoors, and can open carry, and weight isn't a consideration, then I would carry ANY of my GP100s in 3" or 4" barrels, and be very happy. A 686 just doesn't do it for me anymore. S&W, IMHO, has treaded on name recognition for far too long, and has let their quality control slip recently.

Taurus 617: I have not had much time with the Taurus 617, only in brief sessions, but I was not really impressed with it. Not a 7 shot revolver fan for the most part, just seemed to be an answer to a question that I never asked, IMHO. Just never saw the need for a 7 shot revolver.

Taurus 605: Recently picked up one of these. They are a close second to the Ruger SP 101. The frame is not as strong, and the front sight is fixed, but it will handle 38+p, and some lighter .357magnum loads like the Remington Golden Saber or the Hornady American Gunner loads that I use very well. More powerful 357 magnum loads are a handful in this revolver, but could be done in a pinch if necessary.

In conclusion, I love the SP101, am not a fan of the 686, and have very little experience with the 617, as it just isn't something I like or need.

Reactions: CDR_Glock

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've a SP101 in the black Cerakote. It is an accurate hefty little beast. Yes the trigger isn't the best, but replacing the factory grip with a Hogue rubber one allows for better trigger control.

The 686 has a good trigger and very accurate. It's hard to beat the trigger on a Smith.

Now I do have a 3" 692 that I've become very fond of. It had been very accurate and the double action is fairly nice. I've been seeing the 692's around the same price as the SP101's.

Maloy

·
32,528 Posts
I will add one thing.
Being short and wide stature the Ruger SP-101 get the nod over the larger framed revolvers for IWB carry. On the other hand there is a Ruger SP-101 and a Taurus 850 in the CCW rotation. Both are in .38 Special as I have no need for the power of the .357 magnum out of a shorty snub revolver.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What are users experience with Ruger SP101 vs Taurus 617 vs S&W 686 snubnose in 357 Magnum for EDC.

i have a S&W Model 60 Pro but it is not recommended to fire a steady diet of 357 Magnum in it.

The sp101 is around the same size as your Model 60, and doesn't really fit in you comparison -it's a small frame and the 686 and 617 are medium frame.
The Ruger medium frame is the GP100, and if you're planning the gun having a steady diet of 357, I'd pick the GP100 over the 617 or 686. All 3 are good guns, but the G100 is a "built like a tank" < in quotes, because everyone says that about the GP100.
FWIW, I have a sp101, a S&W model 66 and a Taurus model 65. I like all 3 of them, but wouldn't expect any of them to hold up to 1000s of rounds of hot 357 year after year.

·
Registered
152 Posts
FWIW, I have a sp101, a S&W model 66 and a Taurus model 65. I like all 3 of them, but wouldn't expect any of them to hold up to 1000s of rounds of hot 357 year after year.
I'm guessing the hand and other body parts would go into a state of failure before the guns with that many rounds of hot .357. OUCH! UNCLE!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Only revolvers I've had are one 45 Blackhawk, Taurus 66, Super Blackhawk and SP 101. The 66 needed a trigger job and it was great. I recently got the SP101, and maybe they've improved the trigger because it's great. It's hefty enough to handle full bore 357 and with proper technique I'm keeping the minimal grips. I have full and accurate control with them. The wife it shooting the best ever with the SP with strong 38+P handloads. The SP is a great carry gun. Most professional all gun critics say the SP 101 is built like a tank and accurate. Fits perfect in my pocket.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

Seems a bit strange that a gun chambered in .357 comes with a recommendation to not shoot a lot of .357. I know it'll shoot .38sp, but dang, maybe it should have been chambered in .38sp. Does the manual say anything about shooting .38sp +p?

Reactions: MoKen and Bayou52

·
Registered
69 Posts
"The Ruger medium frame is the GP100, and if you're planning the gun having a steady diet of 357, I'd pick the GP100 over the 617 or 686. All 3 are good guns, but the G100 is a "built like a tank""

I fully concur that the GP100 is an outstanding 357 platform that will handle a steady diet of 357 mags, unlike some revolvers in the Smith line or even other revolvers in the Ruger line.

The real "tank" in the Ruger line of 357s, however, is the Redhawk. Pick one up, open and close that massive cylinder, and you'll see what I mean.

Here's a pic of my 6 shot vintage 1984 Redhawk. I treat mine very kindly and properly, but I've read where the 357 Redhawk platform has been used by firms to test experimental 357 "dynamite charges":

Also, for comparison, here's a pic of the Redhawk cylinder side-by-side to the open cylinder of a 1979 vintage Ruger Security Six, which is another, but discontinued, outstanding Ruger 357 revolver:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have an SP101, a Taurus 627, and a S & W 620. I like the capacity of the two 4" revolvers (7) but also love how the SP101 fits in my hand. The first thing I did was replace the hard plastic factory grip with a Hogue molded grip which to me makes a world of difference. I have a Galco leather holster with the hammer retention strap for the Ruger and recently added a Fobus for quick on and off when in the woods.

While the SP101 is a .357 I mostly shoot .38 and .38 + P for comfort and control.

Reactions: Bayou52

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Some say the early compact 357 revolvers is why the standard pressure for the 357 was lowered sometime back. I would expect the one piece Ruger frames to be stronger for those that like to run true magnums. jmho

Reactions: Tracker627

·
Registered
847 Posts

Don't know nothing about a Ruger but I carry the 617ss2 everyday.

Love it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts