Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an opportunity to pick up a Ruger SP101 Stainless 2 1/2" 357mag with maybe 100 rounds of 357mag and 150 rounds of 38spl run through it. Some minor scuffing from being carried in a "go bag".

Currently has Hogue rubber finger grips installed on it.

He is asking $450 for it. How does that price sound for this pistol. I'm kind of on the fence. I don't need one, but it is pretty. I could always sell my Taurus Poly 605 to cover part of the price since I'm not really a poly person. Which could be part of why the Poly Taurus 605 has never been fired least of all loaded. Heck it is still packed in that fine Taurus packing grease.

Anyhow how about some feedback. As Ross Perot was once reported to say "I'm all ears".

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I'm no expert, but $450 used and scuffed up sounds like a lot. I could be wrong. Did you check gunbroker??

·
Super Moderator
20,004 Posts
Sounds like a fair price to me. Brand spanking new, their MSRP is in the $650-$699 range. Any reason given for the seller wanting to sell it? I would even ask for a range session with it prior to making a decision - if thats possible. You didn't mention if this was a transaction between 2 people or looking to purchase from a FFL dealer.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Not a horrible price, I would try to get it in the $400-425 area. They are great guns and have a lot of after market support in the way of springs, grips etc. The Wolffe spring kit really makes them shine in the trigger dept.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Recently sold mine - in pristine condition - for a bit more than I paid for it two years ago.
200 rounds of .38SP through it; no magnums ever. And I used a lot of elbow grease cleaning the burn marks off the front of the cylinder.
They are great guns, comfortable to shoot with the stock grips, but if the one you're buying is scuffed you've gotta get the seller to come down on the price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like a fair price with all the extras. I would buy it. Plus all Ruger revolvers seem to be a little hard to find right now.

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
The only gun I ever regretted selling was an old Ruger Police Service Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. I will buy another one, soon.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
...SP101's aren't meant to be pretty....they're meant for some serious social work.

I'd try to knock it down to around $400.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have that gun. It's a very nice gun. You should decide what YOU are going to do with it. If you want to hold it for re-sale then the scratches matter. If you are like me and buy guns to shoot, then the low # of rounds through it are what matter.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is from someone on a website much like this...being that the members are all good folk such as no BS and good to the core.

Reason for sale is just looking for something new and different. This Ruger has been sitting in the safe for a few months now so it is being culled from the herd.

It has had the Wolfe spring kit installed as well as the inners honed and polished to remove any edges, burs or imperfections. He does have the original box, paperwork, Ruger grips and being the original owner. No burn marks showing, scuffs are extremely light. A little compound and a Dremel and it would be new looking.

I have checked GunBroker, but most everything there shows to be new so getting a firm price on a pre-owned is where I am finding myself a bit lost. I may go ahead and shoot for a $400 offer but be willing to step in at $425.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I paid $378 last year for the used one I had. As I recall it was a 2.25" barrel, not 2.5" .

Everyone loves their Sp101's. Not me so much. Nothing exactly wrong with mine...just couldn't shoot it quite as accurately as my Smith snub nose guns. If you were to average out everyone's opinions on this model, though, it would get high marks. I like most of my Rugers, but every now and then I get one that just doesn't have it. Even among their popular models. So I sold the SP101.
Most are probably fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have an opportunity to pick up a Ruger SP101 Stainless 2 1/2" 357mag with maybe 100 rounds of 357mag and 150 rounds of 38spl run through it. Some minor scuffing from being carried in a "go bag".

Currently has Hogue rubber finger grips installed on it.

He is asking $450 for it. How does that price sound for this pistol. I'm kind of on the fence. I don't need one, but it is pretty. I could always sell my Taurus Poly 605 to cover part of the price since I'm not really a poly person. Which could be part of why the Poly Taurus 605 has never been fired least of all loaded. Heck it is still packed in that fine Taurus packing grease.

Anyhow how about some feedback. As Ross Perot was once reported to say "I'm all ears".
You and I have a lot in common. I just sold my 605 Poly to buy a Ruger SP101 357 that I found cheap on Guns America. I bought the gun and the next day I put up the Taurus for $400 plus the shipping $50. I threw in all of the grips I bought from Mr. Tillander, about 4 pair. I never fired the gun while I owned it, about a year. It sold within 24 hours. However, I then became introduced to the horrible nightmare called shipping. Shipping a firearm from my location in Texas would cost me about $100 for Fed Ex, and $80 for UPS. Luckily, my FFL gave me his rate. I bought the 605 Poly brand new for $350.00 last year at a gunshow. I paid $355 for the Ruger after shipping and FFL fee. It was advertised for $320 plus shipping $15, which you will find is unheard of in today's market. It had a bad bead blast job on it, which I think is the reason the guy let it go cheap. No biggy. You can't lose with stainless. Everything else is OK. It gets better. While I was waiting for the gun to arrive I found a pair of Houge camo lamo grips with palm swell for $30. I have seen these grips being sold for as much as $70 on ebay. At any rate, $450 sounds about right for a SP101 in very good condition. I've seen them being sold for much more.

Let's you and I agree on a something right now. We're never letting go of our Pts, lol. I love my 911 too much. As soon as I can find a 938, it's "Come to Pa Pa."

PS: After Connecticut, last years market is not the same as this years market.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to see my FFL and take deliver of another SCCY 9mm duo tone. We got to talking about the SP101 357/38 and he has ordered one in for me but with the 3" barrel. So problem solved. I should have left at the point, but no I stayed a bit longer. Just long enough to also order two additional 3" barrels for my Bond Arms in a 357mag/38spl and in the 45acp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts