Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a roll with big bores this summer. My latest acquisition is a new Redhawk in 4". It will keep my older ( 1988 ) but new to me Redhawk 7" hunter from getting lonely. A full review will be coming after I replace the grip and smooth out the action. I have two minor complaints. Ruger changed their front sight mounting for Redhawks again!! So no Hiviz available yet ( I had to put some yellow paint on the front ramp insert to see it in shadows or dusk) . Also the bantam grip is ok, but too small for my hands, do get 3 finger contact but my trigger finger is way to deep in trigger guard and hitting below the finger joint. So I ordered a Pachmayr presentation grip like my other Redhawk has. Currently trigger pull is DA 9lb 3oz and SA is 5lb 2oz's. Smooth pull with a bit of rough right before wall. Anyway here is a pic of me trying to shoot it with the Bantam grip.
Automotive design Art Machine Space Electronic device

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Congrats on the pair of good looking and top quality heaters. I am surprised at the lousy performance of the .44 special ammo what are your thoughts, other wise good shooting.

·
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the pair of good looking and top quality heaters. I am surprised at the lousy performance of the .44 special ammo what are your thoughts, other wise good shooting.
I loaded them and they are accurate out of the Taurus tracker..it maybe the bullet size or oglive. I have a 255 swc load for my Rossi R92, will try it on the next run.

Reactions: RimPhyr

·
Super Moderator
15,042 Posts
Now you got me missing the 6 1/2 oops, I mean 7 1/2 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum that I (foolishly) traded when a barely used EAA Windicator in .357 magnum came into my LGS for a cash sale. The Windicator is more practical, but darn! I miss that big ol' revolver.

·
Registered
37,821 Posts
Not MY gun and I could be wrong but I thought the Super Blackhawk (44 mag) had a 7 1/2 inch barrel and the regular Blackhawk had a 6 1/2 inch barrel?
I know my 41 mag Blackhawk had a 6 1/2 inch barrel on it.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Administrator
19,012 Posts
Congratulations on getting a 4 inch Ruger Redhawk to keep your 7 inch RedHawk company and it looks like it shoots well. 🆒 :)

The 4 inch Ruger RedHawk should make for a good carry Revolver in Bear Country.

·
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How "snappy" is a 44 with a 4" barrel? I have only shot one with a 9 1/2" barrel, and a scope on it.
Felt recoil is hard to express in words. So I will use an example. My older Redhawk with the long barrel , I shot over 60 rounds on that range day..no wrist buzz, or sore hand. I shot one round of 1300FPS 240grn bullet from my 44 4" tracker. OUCH!!! The 4" Redhawk felt equal to the 7" Redhawk as far as felt recoil. But I only shot 40 or so rounds on its initial test..I will say the bantam grip does handle recoil well, just wears my trigger finger out. I put the Pachmayr grip on last night and plan on taking it out today.
Another example My Raging Bull with the 7" barrel is softer recoiling than the big old Redhawk, similar gun weight, but the Bull is ported. However I still believe I could run more rounds through the Redhawk with equal hand wear because of the characteristics of the design of the Rehawk. Like I said hard to put into words. You will likely get fatigued just holding that 3 LB monster up before you will get tired of the recoil.

Reactions: cnc1

·
Registered
G3C T.O.R.O.
524 Posts
Thanks for the info. Myself and two relatives all have Super Red Hawks and love them. One day at a local gun shop we bought some Buffalo Bore full magnum loads just to try them out. I was using a pistol rest on a picnic table, bad idea, I left with two bruised elbows and a sore wrist. We knew it was a lot more powerful, but not that much more.

·
Super Moderator
15,042 Posts
Thanks for the info. Myself and two relatives all have Super Red Hawks and love them. One day at a local gun shop we bought some Buffalo Bore full magnum loads just to try them out. I was using a pistol rest on a picnic table, bad idea, I left with two bruised elbows and a sore wrist. We knew it was a lot more powerful, but not that much more.
I can imagine! 😲 Back in '73 a friend in Alaska taught me to grip the 44 magnum firmly, but leave the elbows slightly bent and ride the recoil. It was good advice.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I like my Red hawk with the 4.25" barrel. However, mine is the .45 Colt/.45ACP model. They are large revolvers until I lay it beside my .454 Super Redhawk.

I like .45 Colt as it can run mild to wild in its loadings. .45 ACP in moon clips makes for the best speed loaders.

Maloy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts