Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Any particular brands or types of ammo your firearms don't like? This is really a two part question in is far as 1.) shot groupings for all types of firearms and also 2.) for any semi-autos that may have trouble feeding a particular type?

I had my Ruger PC9 out yesterday and while it didn't perform poorly with it's groupings, it didn't seem particularly fond of the PMC Starfire ammo. Every 3 - 4 rounds I'd have a failure to feed. In my PT92 however, it functions flawlessly with 124 gr. PMC Starfire. I put about 20 rounds of Starfire through it and 30 of WWB 115 gr. fodder. The Winchester, it had 0 issues with and fed flawlessly

I thought perhaps the Ruger wasn't fond of the bullet profile for whatever reason. Needless to say, I'll be switching to something else in the Ruger with a more conical profile i.e. Remington Golden Sabre.

·
Super Moderator
35,329 Posts
Every gun I own has its preferences. I have a few standard handloads that tend to work well in everything and that's why I've standardized on 'em. Rugers jamming is odd, though. I don't have a Ruger rifle/carbine other than my 10/22, but my P series guns will eat anything. I even fed the P90 an empty case once just to see and it fed fine. But, I have no experience with the little carbines, mini 14, PC9, whatever.

One thing I can tell you about feeding, pay attention to overall length as well as bullet profile. Lots of times I've seated a bullet out just a little more to give a little more OAL and that's all it took to get it to feed. The heavier bullet weights will have a longer OAL in the factory stuff. Try some 147 FMJ in that carbine, 124 grain, then try some hollow points in those bullet weights. The extra OAL might be what it needs.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you NativeTexan,

I think I'll try some 147 grainers and see how the Ruger likes them. If all goes well, which I think it should, I'll keep a couple of magazines loaded with h/ps in that weight in case I ever need it in a defensive situation.

The following link is one I found the other day showing the various profiles of seated 9mm defensive ammo.

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9mm/gel9.htm

It's actually a page showing the results of said ammo fired into ballistic gelatin from a Kel-Tec P11 but I was moreso interested in the bullets (in this instance) before they went down the tube.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here she is -- I've just uploaded these pics to the gallery as well.
;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice link Thanks.

Never tried the starfire, but my P95, and PC9, have never rejected anything I have fed them.

In fact I took a carbine class where out of the 15 people there I was the only one not shooting an AK, or AR, and I was the only one that didn't have a malfunction all day. Shooting about 900 rounds.

·
32,696 Posts
PMC is out of business anyway. Even their website is gone.

Since I have a "wait and see" approach when things are announced, it was figured that maybe someone would take over. PMC sold everything, but brand names have been resurrected before. High Standard is just one example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts