Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this on rugerforum.net :)

Apparently Ruger has their Mini series now offered in this new chambering. IIRC, I saw on FutureWeapons recently where an AR type rifle was also chambered for the 6.8 SPC as well.

RUGER ANNOUNCES NEW ALL-WEATHER® RANCH RIFLE CHAMBERED IN 6.8 SPC

Southport, CT – April 12, 2007 – Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), is proud to announce the introduction of the versatile Ruger® Ranch Rifle in the flat-shooting 6.8 mm Remington
SPC cartridge. This Special Purpose Cartridge (SPC), is extremely well suited to longer-range varmint and deer hunting applications in the redesigned Ruger Ranch Rifle.

The 6.8 SPC uses a .270” diameter bullet with performance similar to the venerable .257 Roberts. Its 110 grain bullet has a 2600 fps muzzle velocity, and at 100 yards has 78% more energy
than a 55 grain .223 bullet. 115 grain bullets have a muzzle velocity of approximately 2500 fps, with moderate recoil and muzzle blast. On average, it packs about 20% more punch than the .223 cartridge,
and its trajectory is close to that of a .308 Winchester out to 500 yards. Its ballistics and energy at 300 yards are virtually identical to the .243 Winchester-a fine, flat-shooting deer cartridge.

The All-Weather Ruger Ranch Rifle defies the elements with a matte-stainless barrel and receiver mounted in a black synthetic stock. With recent improvements, including an adjustable “ghost ring”
aperture rear sight and a protected non-glare post front sight, the Ranch Rifle is at home in a scabbard, on a horse, or in an ATV. The All-Weather Ranch Rifle wears a flat, non-slip rubber buttpad, has an 18- 1/2” barrel, and weighs 6-1/2 pounds.
The All-Weather Ranch Rifle in 6.8 SPC comes from the factory set up for scope use. Patented Ruger scope bases are machined directly into the receiver and can never shoot loose. A set of stainless
steel Ruger scope rings, an $80.00 value, is included free with each Ruger Ranch Rifle. A patented recoil buffer protects the scope reticle from damage due to rapidly moving parts when firing this
autoloading rifle, and its side ejection of cartridge cases easily clears the lowest-mounted scope.

“Ruger Ranch Rifles, based on the original Mini-14’s introduced in 1974, have proven themselves around the woods, farm, and ranch by meeting the needs of working outdoorsmen and enthusiasts,”
said Sturm, Ruger President Stephen L. Sanetti. “With the addition of new calibers like the 6.8 SPC and improved features made available in the last year, the Ranch Rifle offers even better value and superior longer-range performance. This 6.8 SPC in the Ranch Rifle makes a great deer gun!”

·
Administrator
17,915 Posts
I love Ruger Mini's! Have two Mini-14's and a Mini-30.

The 6.8 SPC is a well designed cartridge. Only time will tell what becomes of it. There are quite a number of AR15 style rifles available for it and that may insure it's survival, whether or not NATO/U.S. Military adoption occurs.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only issue I've heard of with the 6.8 is ammo availability but thats a catch-22. Need more guns out there in that caliber but people don't want to buy a gun that they can't get ammo for!

Steelheart

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have owned two minis and still own a mini GB. That said, the newer offerings cost about as much as an AR15 and the mini is a lesser weapon(I do like the mini's characteristics however). I have no use for the mini if it costs a penny over 500 dollars. A low end AR can be had for only a bit more and I'll go the route of an AR with it's cheap and plentiful mags anytime over Rugers new over-priced PC carbine that they won't even sell me hi-caps for...

·
Administrator
17,915 Posts
I have an AR15A2 that I pieced together back around 1987, as well as my Mini's, and I prefer the Mini-14/30 Gas System to the Direct Gas Impingement System on the AR15/M16. After a couple of hundred rounds, the AR15/M16's upper and lower recievers can get quite hot, not to mention the Bolt Carrier Group, and also there's the Cleaning Issues also associated with it. I could put 1000's of rounds thru a Mini without cleaning it, if I chose to do so. Not so with my AR15A2 Match Rifle!

As for Hi-Cap Magazines for Mini-14's an Mini-30's, they are certainly available, albeit from the aftermarket manufacturers. Magazines have also been an issue with the AR15/M16 and I count myself lucky to have some good ones!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes! I want one!

ECS

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What the going rate for this ruger? I was looking into a upper conversion for one of my ARs, but they still want too much.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have owned several of the Mini 14's over the years, wished they would have made one in 7.63x51 (308). That would have been the ultimate ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
DRAEGER said:
I have owned several of the Mini 14's over the years, wished they would have made one in 7.63x51 (308). That would have been the ultimate ;)
Ruger didn't make it, but they did make one. They call it an M14.

Sheesh.

ECS

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That is my point, since the Mini14 is an off-shoot of the M14 series rifles and yes I know they are not the same... I still would have been happy to own a Ruger made M14 style weapon that surely would have cost much less then the real thing.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It's a good idea on Rugers part, they can take one of their most popular carbines and make it legal for deer. People aren't exactly sold on the 7.62x39 as a decent deer cartridge, or at least you can't get sprting loads for it.

·
Administrator
17,915 Posts
Ace said:
It's a good idea on Rugers part, they can take one of their most popular carbines and make it legal for deer. People aren't exactly sold on the 7.62x39 as a decent deer cartridge, or at least you can't get sprting loads for it.
Actually, you can get "Hunting" ammo for the 7.62x39mm, but it tends to be scarce and hard to come by, probably due to lack of demand, as you have inferred. Wolf now has a 154 grn Soft Pointed Load, for hunting. Would have to test the stuff myself, before I would recommend it, or trust it! There have also been other Soft Pointed Loadings in 7.62x39mm that surface from time to time, but supplies of all ammunitions is currently strained, due to Wartime, Political, and International Commodities Market Conditions, so it is hard to say what's really going on, there.

I have killed a wild Russian Boar (150 lb.s dressed weight) with my Mini-30, but was not really impressed by the lack of expansion of the 123 grn supposed HP, through the shoulder and Spine. Meat damage was minimal. Not sure I'ld want to use it on a White Tailed Deer, but I've not found Deer difficult to kill!

I do look forward to testing the new 154 grn Soft Pointed Loadings to see if they are an improvement.

As for a Ruger made M14 variant, the prototype they studied was called the XGI, which for some reason got canned. They should have continued development and come out with it! I most certainly would have bought one! I have plenty of 7.62mm NATO chambered rifles to keep me happy at present, but that XGI would have been very nice!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'd still take a 5.56 over a 7.62x39 (and I own plenty of both), but I still prefer the 7.62x51 over both.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts