Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh the Ruger Minis. :) Who has a 14 and/or a Mini 30 and what are your opinions of them?

I came into my Mini-30, a NIB stainless model with a wood stock, in 2004.
For what my uses are for it, I can't complain. It can serve double duty as a deer gun with the 5 round magazine or protecting my homestead with a 30 rounder. Prior to those, I had some loaded 10 round mags I had kept for that purpose but upgraded to the 30 rounders.

I've never had a Failure to Feed or a Failure to Fire with it or the ammo I've gone with. I initially started with 20 round boxes of Winchester for around $10 but found Lapua had 30 round boxes and they were, at the time, $2 less.
Now I'm shooting more S&B 7.62x39, and like the Lapua and Winchester, it's been flawless.

All in all, I'm more than pleased with this firearm and hope to add a mini-14 as well at some point, though likely will be one that's been lightly used. ;D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a stainless Mini 14 and like you say for my purpose's it worked for me. It's a lot like Taurus guns, works well but not a lot of snob appeal. The AR crowd looks down their nose at them for some reason. Either one makes a great truck gun.

Kinda wish I still had mine. I traded it for a Romanian AK with two thirty rounders and a thousand rounds of Wolf ammo. That one goes bang every time too it's just not as cool looking. ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy from Texas. New to this forum. I'll be picking up a new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle this week. I used to have one of the older plain Minis a while back, but had to sell it due to financial hard times. Minis aren't exactly target rifles, but then, they weren't meant to be. I heard that the new Ranch Rifle, SN 580XXXX, made since 2005, is an improvement over the old one in the accuracy dept. We'll see when I get out to do some shootin' next weekend. I think the AR-15 crowd has to justify the cost of their guns. They are more accurate than the Mini, but for the money, the Mini-14 is a better deal. I think it also less prone to jamming, as the one I had never had a failure of any kind in thousands of rounds downrange.

·
32,619 Posts
Have a Mini-14 blued. Like it a lot. The groups I shoot with Silver Bear, Wolf, and Winchester 55 or 62 grain ammo have been in the 2.5 range at 50 yards. Since I use the regular sights, I am thinking off a low power scope or one of the other dot scopes. This gun is for defense and does what I want it two. I cannot justify the expense to the wife or myself of picking up an expensive AR. The AR180B does look inviting. Costs less than the other ARs or their clones and has everything an AR owner could want. Also a member of the Ruger forum .com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This response comes from years of service with several mini 14 training models most with well over 20 years on the firing line under heavy use. 28,000 rounds out of the oldest with little malfunction and it will still group benchrested with irons under 1.5 inches at 100. Anyone who knocks the mini 14 needs to look at their ability to shoot a small light weapon not the weapon itself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A few months ago someone accidentally hit the silent alarm at work and the Sheriffs showed up as usual. The two deputies that came inside to clear the building had mini 14's, black stocks, stainless barrels, iron sights and 20rd mags. The rifles looked brand new, strait from the sporting goods store. Normally about 4 deputies show up and either have shot guns an AR or there side arms. This time only two deputies with stock mini 14's they kept them shouldered the whole time and dipped the barrel down when passing employees. They stayed ready and alert even after they cleared the building and all the way out to there cruisers when they left. I figured they must of just had some retraining because it looked like they meant business. I asked the less pissed looking deputy on his way out why they switched to mini 14's he said, One word and walked out. "Dependability".

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
I had a stainless Mini 14 for years when I was younger. We must have burned through 50,000 rounds through that thing. It started shooting all over the place so I traded it for a nice Browning 20 g Pump. It sure was fun when I had it.

I now own a Sig 556 that is a great gun, But 3 times the price and is accurate to a much further distance. No complaints on the Mini though.

·
Administrator
18,058 Posts
Have one Stainless Ruger Mini-30 and two Blued Ruger Mini14's. Nice Sport Utility Rifles! The Mini-30 is set up with a Bushnel 1.5 to 4x Wideview Scope and is set up for both Hunting (5 round Magazine) and Defense (Hi Cap Mags). Accuracy is not the best, but it beats my AKM. Have been shooting mostly South African Surplus FMJ, which I wish was still available. Have only shot a limited amount of Russian Ammunition thru it with no issues. The new Russian Brown Bear Soft Pointed Ammunition is supposed to be excellent Deer/Game/Defense ammunition if you can find it.

Of the two Mini-14's, one is set up for Defense with a Burris LER Scope on a Chief AJ Scout Mount, a Choate Pistol Grip Stock, and 30 round Magazines.

The other Mini-14 is set up for hunting and has a 3x to 9x Simmons Elite Series Scope and a Fabian Muzzle Brake, which has increased it's accuracy considerably, at least until the barrel warms up. It has accounted for quite a few Coyotes and a few Groundhogs.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
We have one of the first Ranch Rifles to hit the market, and also an All-Weather in stainless. Both are capable of MOA until they heat up. I found that both rifles responded well to hanging a flash suppressor on the front. I also took the time to check the gas pipe to see that it was unobstructed at the gas block, and to torques the gas block evenly. This did away with a sometimes problem. I'm looking at an adjustable gas block, to reduce the tendency to throw ejected cases 40', or more. This should also improve accuracy.

We use nothing but Ruger 20 or 30 round magazines. They work 100% in ALL of the guns. CDNN has RUGER factory 20 round magazines for the Mini-30 , as well as 20-30 factory mags for the Mini-14 for sale at good prices.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I traded into a blued Mini-14 back in 1981, and it is a handy, fun gun. It does not shower the county with brass - it is civilized and piles it all neatly two paces right-flank rear. Even I can shoot it into 2.5" groups at 100 yards from a rest. (It takes work just to SEE the darned target at that distance).

My wife likes it better than the AR by a whole lot, almost as much as her 30-carbine.

Flash

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an older Mini 14 and had a Mini 30 Ranch Rifle that could have been a twin to yours, same year and finish. I really like both for their dependability, ease of use and accuracy that is satisfactory for what I need. They are good general-purpose rifles with actions similar to Garands, M1 carbines and M14/M1A's. For some reason, I've always preferred the feel of the wood stock on the older rifle but like the Hogue overmolded on the Ranch Rifle -- may be just how the sights are set-up on the older vs. the Ranch, may be just that I like wood on blued guns and black on stainless guns.

I planned to sell my Mini 30 when I wanted cash for something else a few years back, and my dad told me I was about to make the smartest deal ever. I looked at him kind of cluelessly because it was a hard decision to sell that rifle. He told me it was too good a rifle to get rid of, handed me a wad of cash and then said I could just get it back after he's gone.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have the min-14 my old man bought before I was born. We shot that thing all throughout my childhood and with very little cleaning it is still working just fine. My only gripe is that it's a little tricky putting optics on it, but now ruger and other parties are waking up to the customization crowd. Problem is that now days a mini-14 will set you back almost as much as an AR, and there are way more parts and toys you can get for an AR.

·
Administrator
18,058 Posts
Ace™ said:
Problem is that now days a mini-14 will set you back almost as much as an AR, and there are way more parts and toys you can get for an AR.
Inflation has hit everything (except real wages) and I'm sure you can find almost as many parts and accessories for the Mini's as you can an AR. You just have to look for them. The AR platform just gets more ad copy.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I had a Mini 14 years ago. It was basically a plinker and a reason to buy all kinds of tacticool junk. I sold it to get money for my AR, and it has taken over as my reason to buy all kinds of tacticool trinkets. About four years ago, the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (highway patrol) switched from Mini 14s to AR 15s, and I had a chance to pick up a police surplus Mini with bayonnet mount, and LE marked Ruger 20 round mags. I got it at an insanely low price and now I buy trinkets for it.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
westside said:
A few months ago someone accidentally hit the silent alarm at work and the Sheriffs showed up as usual.

The two deputies that came inside to clear the building had mini 14's, black stocks, stainless barrels, iron sights and 20rd mags. The rifles looked brand new, strait from the sporting goods store.

I asked the less pissed looking deputy on his way out why they switched to mini 14's he said, One word and walked out. "Dependability".
Law Enforcement Officers have a tough job, I'm sure; and when a silent alarm goes off for real or "accidentally", these brave officers have to suit up, arm themselves, and proceed (post haste) to the scene they were summoned to. Surely, their adrenaline is pumping like crazy when they arrive on the scene.

I said all that to make a point: How do you think they feel when they arrive and hustle into a home or establishment only to be told "someone accidentally set the alarm off"?

DOH! :bang:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good threads never die. ;D A friend on another forum recently purchased a stainless Mini-14 with a synthetic stock and some of the factory Ruger 20 round magazines. He's in New Hampshire and plans to use it as both a plinker and a SHTF rifle. With an ample supply of mags and good quality ammo it should serve both roles well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Had one for a while, a SS Mini 14 Ranch. It always worked, but I sold it off to fund my first AR 15 purchase.

I can't really say I miss it. maybe I would buy another if the price was really right but I dunno.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I hear Mini-14 and can't think of anything but the A-Team. Great, now I'll have the theme song stuck in my head today.

No wonder the Mini has a bad rap for inaccuracy. I don't think they hit anything in all the years they were shooting.

OK which one of you Mini-14 owners has the black GMC Vandura with the Mr. T Bobblehead on the dash?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Our neighbor has a very early MIni-14 rifle. It was out yesterday, along with the All-Weather that we own. His rifle ejects brass about 30', just like mine. Both will shoot into MOA for the first 5-7 rounds of a fast 20 round mag. After that it begins vertical syringing. Mine, with the flash-suppressor, strings less than his, which has none.

The All-weather has now passed the 2K mark without a strip and clean. No failures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts