Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new .380 Ruger LCP. Seems like a great little pistol. Only 50 rds. through it, so far funtions flawlessly. This could be the ticket on those hot summer days when it is hard to hide my PT145. Anyone put a bunch of rounds through one of these? If so what is your opinion?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't have one but I hear it is a great gun. Not sure if I am allowed, but if not I will ask forgiveness. Check out this forum. Lots of talk about the LCP in the semi auto section.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
We may get hassled talking Ruger on a Taurus forum, but I'll give you my take.

I really like the looks of that gun as a backup. However, the only one I've seen in action had multiple failure to feeds and stovepipes on failure to eject. A classmate brought one to our concealed carry qualifying. We thought initially it was being limpwristed. Both instructors tried the gun and their diagnosis was something amiss with the magazine. They liked the gun and had full faith in Ruger to fix it. Told them to call Ruger and see what they suggested to get it in operation.

·
Administrator
40,396 Posts
ShookFarm said:
We may get hassled talking Ruger on a Taurus forum, but I'll give you my take.
Naw, you ain't gonna get hassled here. There's a place for everything. :thumb:

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I saw a few of them at the gun show this past weekend. I was a little disappointed in the price of them. I think I saw 2 different vendors carrying them.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
bjf41 said:
I don't have one but I hear it is a great gun. Not sure if I am allowed, but if not I will ask forgiveness. Check out this forum. Lots of talk about the LCP in the semi auto section.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Bill
We're friendly to other makes and forums here so don't worry about it. Many here also have Rugers as well as many other brands..

I got to handle an LCP a week or so ago. It felt nice but I'm not sure if the ability to manually lock the slide back was worth the extra money over a P3AT. FYI, the LCP was $300 and the P3AT was $250, both new.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
bdog said:
Anyone put a bunch of rounds through one of these? If so what is your opinion?
You may want to read my thread about my LCP here:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7428.0

To date I have put a little over 500 rounds through it. I've had about 10 instances where the slide did not return all the way to the firing position. I would give the slide a little nudge and then it would pop into place. That means I'm having about a 2% failure rate.

Last weekend when I was shooting it I started to pay more attention to which magazine was in the LCP when this would happen. I have two Ruger brand mags. I also noticed it seems to be happening mostly on the 5th round. I only had about 30 rounds left to shoot when I finally put a piece of tape on the magazine I was using when I had a failure. I had one more failure after I started using the tape, and it was with the same taped magazine. There is no way for me to tell if the taped mag is the one that came with the gun or if it was the spare I bought. They are identical as far as I can see.

I know I need to run a couple hundred more rounds through it to determine if it is a bad magazine issue. If it is, I'll ask Ruger to do a mag swap. If not, then I might have to send it back to Ruger for a little TLC.

Even with 500 rounds through it, the gun is still new enough that I would not call it "broken in." I am willing to work through the issue. In the end I'm sure I will have a 100% reliable gun.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm sure it's a good gun, but I will stick to my P3at until all the teething troubles are worked out. ;)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
i really like the RUGER LCP. my 1st gun was a ruger KP95D which i shot 7000 plus rounds through with only 2 FTF and a girl i was seeing was shooting it/limp wrist. the gun was great! so i am a fan of RUGER, but i cant find one anywhere, and they are gonna jack the price up around me since so many guys are looking for them. my local gun shop has gotten a handfull of them in and they are gone the same day. they are selling them for 350! they always have KELTECH .380's but everything i read about them is always people loving them or hating them, a guy i work with has a .32 and loves it. i have shot it and it fired great......im just confued about KELTECH.

·
Administrator
40,396 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT. Only visual difference in LCP and P3AT is asthetic. Ruger is prettier, I've handled a couple. Probably would have bought the Ruger when I wanted a pocket gun, but none were readily available. I'm happy with my Kel-Tec. It hides in my pocket all the time anyway, so no one sees it but me. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just finished putting 250+ rds. through this little gun. Zero problems. Used fmj CCI Blazer brass, WWB, Rem. UMC, and also a dozen 102gr. Golden Sabers. This little gun is surprisingly accurate! Build quality looks good. I think Ruger has a winner with this one. In my area the bigger dealers seem to get more of these than the little guys. Shop that sold me mine had three in stock and no waiting list. Smaller shops had a waiting lists.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thinking of getting my wife a LCP. Perfect size and weight for what she'd like, just not sure if the .380 in such a light pistol would be that much fun to shoot. It's primary purpose would be for concealed carry, but I want her to enjoy shooting it at the range. Would the Kel-tec .32 be a better option?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife is also interested in getting her carry permit. She has put a dozen or so rounds through my LCP and handled it very well. She has done some shotgun shooting-trap and waterfowl, but up to this point very little pistol shooting. I think with plenty of practice she would be very comfortable with this little gun. I would start with a few rounds per session and work up. Fifty rounds in a session with this gun would be overkill. It is, for lack of a better term, a brisk pistol to shoot for a woman. Just my $.02!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks bdog. My wife loves to shoot my Walther P22, but refuses to shoot my PT140. I don't press it, because I want her to enjoy shooting. She says she'd be perfectly fine carrying the Walther, but I'd like her to be comfortable carrying something with a little more punch. My neighbor ordered an LCP, so I'll check it out when he gets it in. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I would also recommend a glove with some extra padding in the web area of the thumb. I use a weight lifting glove. The LCP is a snappy little gun and it can quickly make that part of your thumb very tender.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I really like my LCP and everyone I know that has one likes theirs. There's not much sence in practicing with it a lot as it is just an elevator gun anyway. I did put a small piece of nitesiter florescent tape (1/4 " long by 1/8" wide) on the slope of the front sight and it helps a lot in acquiring any kind of sight picture, especially in a dark situation. It does have a little kick, but since it will be a backup to main gun, a little kick won't worry me. It will print a good group at 10'. It is just soooo easy to conceal. I probably will use it in my DeSantis Hot Jox, or be in my girlfriends purse. I can even put it in my little Sony digital camera bag's back compartment and you can't see it or even imagine that any gun could be in something that small.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts