Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new Ruger LCP .380 ACP this afternoon. After waiting since the 2008 Shot Show it was pretty exciting to finally have one of my own. I have to say it is everything that people say it is -- nice finish, ultra smooth action, light weight, etc. I can't wait to shoot it.

Though I don't feel it will replace my PT-145 as my everyday carry weapon, it certainly has its place. My wife really likes it and wants to go shooting.

I will do a range report as soon as time allows, in a couple of weeks. I'll probably tie the range report in with my CFP range qualification.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's one Hell-of-a NICE Gun... Ya can't go wrong Buying a Ruger LCP...<:))

·
Registered
259 Posts
Congrats. I was really considering one.......One day.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SgtKnuckles and Bugs. I thought the pic turned out surprisingly well considering I set it up in only 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Isn't the Ruger the same as the Kel-tec. I thinik Ruger bought kel-tec and has kept the frame and everything very similar.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Ruger did not buy Kel-Tec. But yes, many people have called the LCP a Kel-tec clone.
I've yet to handle one but from what I hear the LCP's fit and finish is superior to the Kel-Tec P3AT. And the slide stop is a nice improvement.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree NYPD in AZ. I have not had the chance to hold a Ruger LCP yet, but the slide stop is a great feature. I wish my Kel-tec had that. I may look into one of these LCPs. As far as my false info, I apologize, a gun dealer told me this. How's the addage go " Believe nothing you hear and half of what you read"

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Very nice! From accounts by those who own LCPs, I've only heard favorable things.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Very nice looking gun - I'll keep my fingers crossed that it didn't come off the same production line as the SR9.........

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
All you need to tell the difference between the Kel-tec and the Ruger is to look at the recoil guide rod. The kel-tec looks like something from Mattel and the Ruger's looks like something from a firearms manufacturer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cool looking gun I've heard favorably discussed. You guys sure like alot of plastic it seems though...

And, Merlin, was that your next gun or your next wife?!

Alden

·
Registered
154 Posts
Alden - I'm thinking a 'his' and 'hers' pair. 'Hers' first, though, since I just got the PT1911. Plus, it'll give her the prompting to get her "West Virginia Concealed Pistol/Revolver Permit." Isn't that a mouthful? I guess they wanted to make sure no one was stuffing a shotgun down their pants leg or something. Or maybe this excludes derringers? CP/RP sounds like the robot on Star Wars.

Alden said:
Cool looking gun I've heard favorably discussed. You guys sure like alot of plastic it seems though...

And, Merlin, was that your next gun or your next wife?!

Alden

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dammit I want one now. I was gonna buy a lasermax for the new glock but I think it may go towards an LCP Ruger

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
over on berettaforum.net there is talk of a new LCP coming out with a integrated laser.

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?p=366466

something else came up that disturbed me also.. it seems kel-tec only rates at least 1 of their guns for only 6000 rounds life expectancy, it did not state which gun though.

they on the other had have a life time warranty but it's not clear if this covers a gun that has been though it's 6k round life expectancy.

does anyone know what rugers warranty is or if the lcp has a higher life expectancy then the kel-tec?

btw ruger openly admitted to using the p3at design.. not sure if they paided kel-tec or what but i remember them saying that it was a almost perfect conceal carry gun, almost being the key word.. and that they planed to make some improvements of their own on it.

i admit they are slick little guns.. kinda cute in person.. but i can't get a good grip on them.. i think for a small pocket gun they are what they are and would be good.. i would not however want it to be a primary gun and im not all that into carrying a BUG.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Actually crimson is making a laser grip for it. It looks pretty cool. I want one for when I'm in my shorts or gym clothes where the glock is out of the question

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
joe sixpack said:
something else came up that disturbed me also.. it seems kel-tec only rates at least 1 of their guns for only 6000 rounds life expectancy, it did not state which gun though.

they on the other had have a life time warranty but it's not clear if this covers a gun that has been though it's 6k round life expectancy.
Okay, well, I've never seen those numbers, but remember you're not going to be taking these guns to the range and running a couple hundred rounds through them each time - you're pretty much done after 50 or so. These are niche guns, and fill that niche nicely, but I don't think anybody should get too worked up about a BUG, especially a deep concealment BUG, not being built like a Glock........

1 - 20 of 38 Posts