Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,010 Posts
Can you post pix of loaded gun with slide retracted? I’ve had an LCP for 7-8 years that I just replaced with an LCP II. I kept the original but never had any ammo feeding issues. Feeds, fires and ejects fine. My dislike is the lloooonnnnnggg trigger pull. The trigger on the LCP II is a world ‘a difference from the original.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife's LCP has problems feeding Federal JHP. Went to Hornady and Critical Defense and had no other problems.

Took a soft "bullet" Dremel pad and mini-Dremel tool and polished the feed ramp with some white jeweler's rouge and it now feeds everything.

Don't over do the polishing or change feed angle of the ramp.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have an LCP purchased new last year. I've not had any feed issues even with steel case ammo, but two family members that shoot with me have experienced feed issues regularly after 20 or so rounds have gone through the pistol. It seems they may have been limp wristing a slightly dirty LCP, because the pistol gets really dirty quick on the cheap steel case rounds. I don't plan to use steel in either the LCP or the 709 slim in the future. Hope you get yours figured out. They are nice little pistols when they are working. Polishing the feed ramp and maybe slightly on the feed lips will probably help. Firm grip and wrist for the win!

Reactions: vboy36

·
Super Moderator
20,010 Posts
In looking at your Imgur images the round does seem to be sitting flush with the chamber with the nose of the bullet lying on the feed ramp. Make sure you do clean, polish and lightly lube the feed ramp; don’t remove any metal.

If you manually rack and guide the slide forward, does the round feed then? Or do the misfeeds only occur with mechanical closure? Make sure the follower and mag spring move smoothly too. Below are lid of my top round with slide retracted and it looks pretty much identical to yours. Bottom 2 pix ARE YOUR PIX.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you are going to polish the feed ramp, go ahead and polish underneath the barrel hood and as much of the chamber itself as possible. The felt bullets with white Jeweler's rouge on a Dremel work best.

One of the things I have discovered about autos, is that the bullet ogive should always hit the ramp before the case mouth. Over the years when I have had ammo feed issues with a gun that I know is in proper working order, I have checked the ammo and found that some of the ammo will have the bullet too far in, where the case mouth hits before the bullet and hangs up. If you have ever reloaded SWC for a .45 Auto you know what I am talking about.

·
Super Moderator
20,010 Posts
Let us know the outcome, please.

Reactions: vboy36

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
My LCP, an original version with the long trigger pull, had feeding issues due to a mag drop issue (similar to the the mag drop issue that many of the classic old Taurus PT-145's used to have.) I doubt that's what's going on in your case, but I called Ruger customer service and they sent a call tag and paid for shipping and had the gun sent back to me within two weeks, all fixed. Haven't had any problems (that were the gun's fault) since. The gun is my most common EDC.

In my experience, dealing with Ruger CS is a pretty painless process and a good place to start (if you can't find an effective and easily obtainable ammo brand that works 100%. I use the strangely shaped Lehigh Defense ammo and it feeds fine.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts